• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

viewing sc2 models without putting them in the resource section..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure where to put this, but i have been wondering, since i cannot test/view a sc2 model at all on my computer ( don't even have strarcraft 2 ) , can one be able to upload a sc2 model temporary and just view it? without it being posted into the sc2 resource section? just an update-able 'chunk' where i can decide to either upload from, or delete permanently and not occupy a portion of hive's space :b

i guess an option that's like.. its auto-deleted right away and only me can view it.. no comments, no rating, no nothing, while its in that only-test-view form, not even download, unless a staff member is asked for the download link

obviously, it's the 'view in 3D' that i'm talking about
and if anyone mentions sc2 starter edition, i'd like to remind that it cannot test maps ;)

Level 29
You can load a model into the viewer from anywhere on the Hive, e.g. a thread post, a pastebin entry, or whatever.
The old viewer had GUI for it, the new one doesn't. Either way, you can use the q url parameter.
Here's an example of a model in a pastebin of mine:
Code:
viewer.hiveworkshop.com/?q=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/skkxph/_files/Footman.mdx
(using an actual link ruins the url, thanks vB)
This is simply the viewer's url with ?q=PathToSomeModel appended to the end.

Note that this won't work with offsite files (unless the site they are on explicitly allowed them to be loaded by other sites), local files (file:///), or load custom textures.

Pastebin entries (and thread posts?) are planned to be considered as other resources, and will therefore load also textures in them, allowing custom textures. But this is in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.