• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

View in 3D gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
oB4qtB6lz1d_33FpdhXeDcj87gavl7jQlLZHQNVBCCQ

It's still there.

Level 25
Define alive...
Alive may refer to life.
Life is something everyone should enjoy. If you wish to read more you can do so here.

It's also a music album by Daft Punk that you can listen to here.

Did you also know that alive is a christian music festival in Ohio? Who could have known? Well now you do!

If you need more information and my own option on life, I will happily reply back again! Enjoy life! Enjoy being alive!

Level 14
No clue, ur job to find out. But a textfield where you can paste a link to a model (the thread in the models section) would work, something more convenient would be cooler tho.

Thing is- some attachmentmodels look really cool when you view them separately, but when attached to a unit they are way too big or something..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Must be your fire-fail or google chrome plated stuff or animal safari. It works absolutely flawlessly in IE11 (for once, usually it sets the computer on fire).

The button is set to automatically hide under certain conditions. Something with your browser setup might fail those conditions even though it will still work flawlessly. Try a direct link. Remember that some browsers default to having WebGL disabled which is required for it to work (or at least used to in older versions such as those found on lab machines in universities).

Level 29
Yeah, but it needs cleaning. You could always just make multiple instances of Model (e.g. particle emitters type 1), but I am trying to make it a little easier.
This made me think about creating whole scenes and allowing to link to them (via url variables), but we'll see if I am not too lazy, or if this is even useful for anyone.

I still have no idea what sort of GUI to make for it.

Level 29
If you mean a textured plane like in WC3ME, I never quite got the point of it. How is it different than an image? Or perhaps selecting a model and then the custom textures to use?

If the latter, how would you want it to work? Allowing selecting (in the viewer) any arbitrary texture from the MPQs/hive/path and assigning it to some path?
It's really the same issue as with the attachments - can't think of any clean GUI.

Last edited:
If you mean a textured plane like in WC3ME, I never quite got the point of it. How is it different than an image? Or perhaps selecting a model and then the custom textures to use?

If the latter, how would you want it to work? Allowing selecting (in the viewer) any arbitrary texture from the MPQs/hive/path and assigning it to some path?
It's really the same issue as with the attachments - can't think of any clean GUI.

Haha, no I didn't mean the textured plane.

I meant for the skins section to have a preview that will show the texture automatically wrapped onto the model (not the UVW):
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins.php

Although, it may be difficult to link up textures because they don't contain the data for the model they correspond to (they can correspond to multiple models). I suppose you could have a dictionary to match textures to the models that use them. It would at least work for (1) models that are in the mpq (2) regular unit models, but you would have some specific issues with doodads, tilesets, and skins for custom models.

For example, this skin:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/undead-footman-61652/
Would use the "Path" part (Textures\Footman.blp) to say that it corresponds to the footman model. Then there could be a button (View in 3D) to display the footman using that texture (pretty much identical to the regular model viewer). There may be some issues with skins that don't have those paths specified, but there isn't much we can do about that (unless mods go around updating them). I think it would still be pretty useful. I'm not sure how feasible it is, but at least it wouldn't require UI considerations. :thumbs_up:

Level 29
When I get less lazy, I will make a generalized way to override texture paths, which will allow you to put whatever textures (custom or not) you want.
The GUI wont be so nice, you'll have to directly put urls/IDs/paths, and this will also apply for attachments, since anything else is completely server-sided, and I want the viewer to be as independent as it can (and as you've stated, even if it were server-sided, it isn't very reliable).

I am thinking of a new fullscreen menu that can be opened via a button/key shortcut, since the tiny row at the bottom is not enough for anything serious.
If you have any thoughts for a new design, do share. I can't design anything decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.