• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Various Night-time Terrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Here are a couple of pictures of some night-time/dusk terraining I've done using the UTM and a few additional models.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A Void, Bloodraven, Unknown TEMP, Daelin, Olofmoleman, Chriz, xXm0rpH3usXx, Celestea, Nasrudin, aquilla, Mc !, Illidan, reinless, oBs3rv3r, Xios, sc_freak, abriko, JetFangInferno, iNfraNe, Whitehorn, Red XIII, HappyTauren, Herio-san, Illidan(evil)x, Born2Modificate.
From WCUnderground; Daerone, Exiler

Attachments

• Barrens Night Template2.jpg
    Barrens Night Template2.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 490
  • Night Elf Template02.png
    Night Elf Template02.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 508
Hello there.
It's great to see new faces around once in awhile :).

The Barrens one seems okay but the camera is too close and the textures are so stretched and ruining.
Especially that ugly grass model and those rocks you used.
Try zooming out or change the camera angle a bit.

You have some tinting problems up close btw.
Try toning down some models, they look awkward with all that screaming color.

About the sky; you should experiment with cloud and skysphere models a tad.
Also glow everything up, it's naked as hell.
It's damn barren and lifeless without those.

As Gilles mentioned, the Nigh Elf one is your best work so far.
Though once again the sky is lacking, same advice should be applied as I said on the Barrens one.
Although try emphasizing more on the moon-blue-foggy chromatic theme for it.

I really dig that fountain-vale thingy root sanctuary.
It's really pleasant though it could use more light tbh.

I would really ditch those wheat models from there, totally out of place.
Ever tried messing with Talavaj's environmental models?
They'd fit quite nicely there.

Last but not least, try taking the screenshots from editor perspective not in-game.
I'm saying this because it's scenic terraining here not playable.

~Happy Terraining~

Last edited:
Level 36
Contrary to my fellow great terrain reviewers here, I do not like the grove so much.
I mean, it's pretty, but I know for a fact that it's a WoW rip, or at least that it looks
extremely similar to it. However, I'm not against that, I just also happen to know
that it's one bigass model, and not something you created by yourself. So I'm not
that amazed by it in and off itself.

HOWEVER; I do like your overall taste and skill in composition, doodad placement, you
have a good developed terrainers sense of how a landscape is puzzled together. Which
is better a start than many terrainers. The three things you should work on, though,
is scaling, lighting and depth. As follows:

Scaling

In the first terrain, the grass is over-sized, while yes such size grass does exist, it's fairly
uncommon in barren terrain. As well as being oddly sized, the grass is also placed way too
close to the camera, but I'll address that more in the depth part. In the second terrain,
there is an obvious discrepancy to the trained eye, which is the trees. All the trees are
roughly the same size, you're doing a decent job in varying the trees, but you should
consider the differences of scaling more, some trees are very small, while others do tower
over other trees. Randomly scaled trees in a forest on-screen in a terrain makes for a
natural and pleasing look to the eye.

Lighting

Lighting is a tool used by terrainers to give a terrain depth and direction. The most
common tools in a terrainer's arsenal to make natural lighting in a terrain is the Glow
doodad, along with various others like the "light from above" doodad and so on. Instead
of continuing pestering you with how great proper lighting is for a terrain, I'll just direct
you to where you can find great tutorials on how to add natural lighting to your terrains:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-terraining-hives-terraining-section-184427/
- At the top, in the index, click the "How can I learn and improve my terraining techniques?"
and you'll be presented several tutorials on terraining varying from Beginner to Experienced.

Depth

Is mostly non-existent in both terrains. It is done through scaling, scaling far away
objects smaller and close objects larger, through lighting which obscures certain parts of
the terrain, and through fog-transition. This is where I'll continue about the grass, sure
I did say close objects should be larger than far away objects, but don't take that to
heart. "Larger" doesn't necessarily mean "EXTREMELY LARGE". Another thing you'll
notice if this extremely long berating doesn't scare you away, is that some doodads can
be used close to the camera and some can't. It all depends on the texture, bad texture
is a no-go, good textures are viable. Fog-transition is the best and easiest method of
giving a terrain depth. Basically, play around with the fog tool, and ALWAYS make the
map much larger than the actual area you want to be visible in the terrain. When the
visible area is defined, you should look to the area behind the visible area, and make lines
of mountains that slowly fade into the fog, preferably several lines behind each other,
ranking from "somewhat covered by fog" to "completely covered by fog", this is why
sky/fog transition also is important, the sky should never conflict with the fog (in terms
of contrasting). As that will completely remove the sense of depth in a terrain.

So, I don't know what just came over me, but I really felt like parting some knowledge
from me. Maybe it's the fact that it's been so long since I saw a new face around here
or maybe I've just got withdrawal. I'm not sure, I just hope my words may be of some
help :)

Level 6
Thanks for the advice and criticism, though you probably won't be seeing much terrain from me, it's just something I do when I get too bored or frustrated with the workings of ordinary playable maps. Though I might take your advice on these two pieces, get them as close as I can get to perfect. I rather dislike leaving things unfinished.
Nevertheless, thank you all.

P.S.One thing though, how do you mean "fog transition"?
P.P.S. I intentionally neglected to use clouds, I thought a cloudless night would be better.

Last edited:
Level 36
Fog transition is the transition between the fog and the sky, which should never be in
conflict. (i.e: Pink fog and dark blue sky.) In these terrains, if you are intent on keeping
the starry sky, a slight black fog would be fitting.

Level 6
Thank you Kenji, I made the fog darker now, and less blue.

If pictures should indeed not be taken in-game, but rather in the World Editor (with In-game view settings) I won't be able to use the starry sky model, so I might end up using clouds instead.
Are there any particular skies that are good for terraining like this? I heard that "Fogged Sky" works in a special manner with the fog tool, or is this just nonsense?

If pictures should indeed not be taken in-game, but rather in the World Editor (with In-game view settings) I won't be able to use the starry sky model, so I might end up using clouds instead.
Are there any particular skies that are good for terraining like this? I heard that "Fogged Sky" works in a special manner with the fog tool, or is this just nonsense?

Just press ctrl and scroll out if the sky is clipped by distance.
Check the Enhancing the Skies tutorial by fladdermasken (it's in the link that Keiji provided) for more in-depth knowledge about skies.

Level 6
Just press ctrl and scroll out if the sky is clipped by distance.
Check the Enhancing the Skies tutorial by fladdermasken (it's in the link that Keiji provided) for more in-depth knowledge about skies.

Yeah I looked that one up already, and I've tried something with the Barrens one. Making it more storming than silent night.

attachment.php

By the way, once again thanks for all the continued feedback/help.

Attachments

• Barrens Night Template Storm.png
    Barrens Night Template Storm.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 393
Try tinting the grass to your terrain.
You should remove those two ferns from the road and that cactus up there(those are really out of place).
I would also tint those cloud spheres lower since they're kinda washed in appearance.
While you're there play with some cloud models(must be in UTM 4 already) and place them around the sky to make it less outlandish.
Do it until you see that it blends it nicely with your surroundings.

...and try not to place the camera so close to the terrain if you're not using HQ tiles.
They really ruin the view.

Status
Not open for further replies.