• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using Reflections in Terraining!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
On an opening note, if you don't know what the hell an alpha tile is, the alpha tile is a tile using alpha compositing to allow transparency. This enables us to "poke holes" in the ground texture. Or, more accurately, make it transparent. With this we can experiment with things like reflections without sleeping around with 3rd party image manipulation tools.

Example from my personal gallery:

reflections.png

The river boat reflects on the still surface.

What you actually see is the unseen (bottom) sides of the skybox and another river boat turned upside down.

Shouldn't be so hard to walk you, a fairly average terrainer, through this. I will step-by-step cover importing the alpha tile in the import manager, show you basic tile overgoes, teach you some basic principles of pitch and roll with negative values and finish with an overlook on reflected bodies and some properties they inherit.

NOTE: READ THIS IS YOU WANT TO USE IT FOR PLAYABLE MAPS

There is a question I have been getting about this since July 2010 when I first posted it. Does this work for playable maps i.e. with the standard isometric game camera? The answer is, yes. But you need one more thing for it. The standard WE skybox isn't a full box; it has two sides missing. The upper side and the lower side. This is because in game you only really see it from conventional angles in cinematics. So if you apply the alpha tile with the standard game camera on, you will see a tiny bit of sky texture and then pitch black. You are getting the lower side of the skybox. To fix this you need a skybox with no missing sides, alternatively a skysphere. I don't have one so I can't attach one here, but feel free to go to the Request forum and try your luck.

Now get on with the tutorial.

Tools & Requirements

Alpha Tile - View attachment Alpha Tile.rar

Background knowledge - At least average terraining experience and knowledge of the interchangeable concept of radians and degrees.

DungeonM's UTM - The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 - Wc3C.net

Amendment:
Actually you can use whichever template map you want to, just make sure you can reach the water level with the lower height brush alone.

Import the Alpha Tile

Open up your map. Open IM and import the Alpha Tile. Now we need to set the file path. Since I conveniently named my tile Outland_Abyss.blp we can replace the Outland Abyss tile with our alpha tile. So find Outland_Abyss.blp in IM and open up Imported File Properties (on right-click or double-click). Tick the box that says Use custom path. Notice that the text-field Full Path: becomes editable. Change this field to TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_Abyss.blp and hit OK.

attachment.php

Now you're done. Save your map, exit world editor and start your map up again. The texture has now loaded.[/stable]

Amendment:
If you want to use a different path, be my guest.
- Ashenvale --
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Rcok.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_GrassLumpy.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Vines.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_DirtGrass.blp
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Leaves.blp
- Barrens --
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_Pebbles.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_DirtGrass.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_Desert.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_DesertDark.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_Rock.blp
TerrainArt\Barrens\Barrens_Grass.blp
- Cityscape --
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_BlackMarble.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_BrickTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_SquareTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_RoundTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_GrassTrim.blp
TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_WhiteMarble.blp
- Dalaran --
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_BlackMarble.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_BrickTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_SquareTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_RoundTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_GrassTrim.blp
TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_WhiteMarble.blp
- Dungeon --
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_Brick.blp Brick:
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_RedStones.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_LavaCracks.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_Lava.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_DarkRocks.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_GreyStones.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon\Cave_SquareTiles.blp
- Lordaeron Fall --
TerrainArt\LordaeronFall\Lordf_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronFall\Lordf_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronFall\Lordf_DirtGrass.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronFall\Lordf_Rock.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronFall\Lordf_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronFall\Lordf_GrassDark.blp
- Lordaeron Summer --
TerrainArt\LordaeronSummer\Lords_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronSummer\Lords_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronSummer\Lords_DirtGrass.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronSummer\Lords_Rock.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronSummer\Lords_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronSummer\Lords_GrassDark.blp
- Lordaeron Winter --
TerrainArt\LordaeronWinter\Lordw_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronWinter\Lordw_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronWinter\Lordw_SnowGrass.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronWinter\Lordw_Rock.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronWinter\Lordw_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\LordaeronWinter\Lordw_Snow.blp
Northrend
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_dirtdark.blp
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_rock.blp
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_ice.blp
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_Snow.blp
TerrainArt\Northrend\North_SnowRock.blp
- Village --
TerrainArt\Village\Village_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_Crops.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_CobblePath.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_StonePath.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_GrassShort.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_Rocks.blp
TerrainArt\Village\Village_GrassThick.blp
- Village Fall --
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_Crops.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_CobblePath.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_StonePath.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_GrassShort.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_Rocks.blp
TerrainArt\VillageFall\VillageFall_GrassThick.blp
- Underground --
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GDirt.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GBrick.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GRedStones.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GLavaCracks.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GLava.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GDrakRocks.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GGreyStones.blp
TerrainArt\Dungeon2\GSquareTiles.blp
-Felwood--
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Dirt.blp Soil:
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Poison.blp
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Rock.blp
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Vines.blp
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\Felwood\Felwood_Leaves.blp
- Dalaran Ruins --
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_BlackMarble.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_BrickTiles.blp Brick:
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_SquareTiles.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_RoundTiles.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_GrassTrim.blp
TerrainArt\DalaranRuins\DRuins_WhiteMarble.blp
- Black Citadel --
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_DirtLight.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_RoughDirt.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_FlatStones.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_SmallBricks.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_LargeBricks.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_SquareTiles.blp
TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_DarkTiles.blp
- Icecrown --
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_DarkIce.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_BlackBricks.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_RuneBricks.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_TiledBricks.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_Ice.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_BlackSquares.blp
TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_Snow.blp
- Outland --
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_DirtLight.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_RoughDirt.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_DirtCracks.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_FlatStones.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_Rock.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_FlatStonesLight.blp
TerrainArt\Outland\Outland_Abyss.blp
- Shunken Ruins --
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_Dirt.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_DirtRough.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_DirtGrass.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_SmallBricks.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_Sand.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_LargeBricks.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_RoundTiles.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_Grass.blp
TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_GrassDark.blp

Select Advanced from the menu bar and go to Modify Tileset. Tick the box that says Use custom tileset and you can select Additional Textures. Under Cliff Base Tiles - Group 3, locate the Abyss tile and add it to your current tileset. Keep the window open for the next step.

Basic Tile Overgoes

Consider the Modify Tileset window.

attachment.php

The Shift Right/Left option is key here. As displayed, tiles shifted to the right side of the set are on top, and conversely, tiles shifted to the left are underlying (on the bottom). More concretely, how two tiles interact (read: overgo) when placed next to each other is determined by their precedence. Demonstrated below.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is helpful to create a natural interaction between land and water, e.g. for shorelines.

If you want to read more on the subject, read Terrain Overgoes - a small guide by Belgarath.

Pitch and Roll

The difference between pitch and roll is which axis the object rotates around.

Consider this simple system of axes

attachment.php

If the object faces along the X axis, pitch rotates the object along the X axis and Roll rotates it around the Y axis.

Also demonstrated here by Admiral Proudmoore.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...872978-terraining-principles-pitch-roll-2.png
(credits to Belgarath)

In this case black is the pitch angle and red is the roll angle.

Pitch and roll values are usually split in two: positive and negative values. Setting max pitch/roll to a positive integer tilts doodads/destructibles to fit the terrain gradient, or if the slope is too steep, the max value set by you in the object editor. Negative values on the other hand forces the object to rotate regardless of the terrain gradient.

We want the negative values.

To set a negative value, hold down SHIFT before you open Maximum Pitch Angle/Max Roll Angle.

attachment.php

The editor claims to want the value in degrees, but what it actually wants is radians (or rather the decimal form of it). Here is a simple conversion table for some important values. The Decimal column is the value you input in the editor.

DegreesRadiansDecimal

2 π6.28

1.5 π4.71

π3.14

0.5 π1.57

Reflected Bodies

A reflection is an optical illusion; a duplication of an object that appears identical but reversed. Formally, if a point of an object has coordinates (x, y, z) then the image of this point (as reflected by a mirror in the y, z plane) has coordinates (-x, y, z).

Start by doing a simple scene like the one below. Lower the ground so you reach water level where you placed your alpha tiles, then place a tree of your choice. Now create a duplica of the tree your picked, i.e. copy your tree model in the object editor and name the new object something along the lines of "Tree (Reflected)". Place the duplica in the exact same spot as the first tree you placed, with the same rotation and scaling.

tree.png

Now the magic. We want to flip the other doodad upside down. From what we know already, all we need to do is set a negative pitch or roll value, i.e. set the value to -3.14. As you see below, the tree looks like it's reflected on the water surface. This is essentially all there is to it.

tree reflected.png

Closing

The rest is up to you. Think about how the light hits the object and how it is likely to reflect. Also, on a more recent note: I have noticed a trend in new terrainers. They ignore all the fundamentals of terraining and just add reflections. I know reflections are awesome and all, but don't overdo it, and don't skip the basics before you do this.

A shitty terrain with awesome reflections is still a shitty terrain.

I cannot stress this enough.

Have fun,

fladdermasken

Attachments

• 240px-Coord_system_CA_0.svg.png
    240px-Coord_system_CA_0.svg.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 5,038
  • Imported Properties.png
    Imported Properties.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,172
  • Modify Tileset 2.png
    Modify Tileset 2.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,207
  • Precedence 1.png
    Precedence 1.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 3,146
  • roll1.png
    roll1.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 3,103
  • Precedence 2.png
    Precedence 2.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 3,419
Last edited:
Level 6
Nicely done, simple and explaining, easy to follow. Till today I havent figured out how that reflection thing is going to work, but now after I´ve read your tutorial it´ll be peanuts to make it work.:grin:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I haven't tried, but I doubt it would work as the angle is vital for this technique.
Should you view it from another perspective, the alpha tiles would show off the bottom of the warcraft skybox.

So sadly, no it doesn't really work that well in game.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
This is so awesome, never thought about reflections in wc3 terrains until I saw this tutorial. Good work, this will be awesome for many cinematics and many wc3 maps.
Thanks for the kind words. Make sure you give me a profile message whenever you upload a cinematic, because I'd die to see this used in a cinematic. I can only imagine how cool it would look.

Level 11
this doesn't work for me :C,i copied the path into the path of the Outland_Abyss
but when i open/close/open map and i went to the change tileset,went to ashenvale and tried to find a white thing but all i got was the rough dirt,no white pics

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
this doesn't work for me :C,i copied the path into the path of the Outland_Abyss
but when i open/close/open map and i went to the change tileset,went to ashenvale and tried to find a white thing but all i got was the rough dirt,no white pics
That's odd. Could you post a screen of your import manager for a better frame of reference? That would really make things easier for me, so I can spot your error.
Also, make sure there aren't any spaces or anything in the path.

Level 11
hmm,i will tomorrow it's totally late now
EDIT: here,i can't find anything wrong
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ERROR.JPG
    ERROR.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 3,576
  • ERROR3.JPG
    ERROR3.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 3,543
  • ERROR1.JPG
    ERROR1.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 3,584
Last edited:
Level 6
HELL YEAH, this TUT OWNZZZ

if the we put a skysphere instead of a skybox do you think it will work?

OK I'm warmed up, I have an awesome map, but the terrain isn't much, since I'm not much of a terrainer but seeing this made me think of how would I like to create a new jawdrop terrain that makes players shiver in awe!!! :thumbs_up:

So how do we set up this "skysphere" cuz the stupid skybox is really lame and iritating??

ALSO, I've noticed that your grass has overlaps with alpha tile, while mine has not, it has sharp eges making it look like a chess field, it's really ugly, can we do something about that?

Here is the picture for you to see what I meant under the overlap:

AAAPicture.jpg

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Let me first apologize for being slow with solving your issues - I actually failed to notice these replies.

Great technique!
I want a jawdropping terrain for my next map. But the map is 125x155 with a lot of water, is this too big? Will it take insane amounts of time to complete?
This technique is mainly for terrain art, since it heavily relies on a set angle.
If you use a skysphere, rather than a skybox, it could possibly be utilized for a playable map.

However, I have never personally put it to such practice, nor have I ever seen anyone else attempt it on a larger scale -
so as far as the functionality of the technique for playable maps goes, I have little to no information to offer you.

So how do we set up this "skysphere" cuz the stupid skybox is really lame and iritating??
Firstly you would need a skysphere model, which may or may not exist on this forum already.
If not, I bet it wouldn't be much of a strive for any modeler if you'd simply request it.

Subsequently, import your skysphere and apply it with a simple script.
For instance, something like this:

• Sky
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Environment - Set sky to war3mapImported\skysphere.MDX
ALSO, I've noticed that your grass has overlaps with alpha tile, while mine has not, it has sharp eges making it look like a chess field, it's really ugly, can we do something about that?

Here is the picture for you to see what I meant under the overlap
Which tiles that overlaps is easily modified by hitting Advanced>Modify Tileset
Rightbound tiles will be overlapped by leftbound tiles. Use this picture for reference.

Tile Overlap
modify tileset.png
I'd say this should fix both your issues.
Contact me either by P.M, V.M or simply posting in this topic if your issues remain unsolved.

Level 6
I'm making rite now a playable map with reflections, to all those willing to do such a thing on a larger scale, well its pretty much common knowledge but i just wanna point it out I found it much easier to place copied doodads with exactly the same parameters one ontop of another so they look like a single doodad, and then after all doodads are in place set the angle turning em uspide down, saves much trouble with fitting, and much needed time to do so.

Level 16
Great technique! Great tutorial!
I've been using this technique before even going the hive so mine is a little different. Didn't actually think there would be someone else that knows this technique.

---you ever considered using a full sky box clouds on the bottom side?
see also: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/how-add-extra-light-your-map-toby-light-engine-205683/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WATCH THIS!!!

Last edited: