1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Do you have good ideas for new contests? If so, please open new threads in the Contest Submission sub-forum to discuss them.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Upwards Shimmering Portal Structure

Submitted by Retera
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
This is an upward facing version of the Shimmering Portal that can be used as a building that was created upon request by Kam. Thanks to Kam for the idea!

It also has an embedded portrait to make it look good as a Structure.
Contents

Upwards Shimmering Portal Structure (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Might be useful for people, but edits are too small to meet approval criteria.
  1. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So you just took the model of blizzard, changed some colors and rotated it? eh....

2. Hazop

Hazop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not bad for a simple model

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    RETERAAAAAA

Awexome to see you uploading again, man. Definitely seem useful. @Kam has the best ideas, doesn't he? : P

4. Jake Kessler

Jake Kessler

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Could be useful as a boss aura/attachment. I dig it.

5. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    After downloading this I noticed it lacks attachment points and collision shapes. May I add them and send the modified model to you for re-upload, @Retera ?

6. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    With some changes it could be a really useful model for a lot of maps! I hope you are gonna make them :)

7. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Cuore Sure about the attachment points and collision shapes. I just based it on whatever the existing portal model had.

8. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Might be useful for people, but edits are too small to meet approval criteria.

9. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Along with adding the sixth crystal crystal into the model, and team color crystals, I spent an immense amount of time writing a computer program to generate this model from the standard portal by rotating it's internal animation data to face a different direction so that it is truly an upward facing portal, not just a portal which had it's root bone rotated or something. So, it seems a little bit like subtley large edits, but I can see where you're coming from.

Considering these edits are small to you, I'm actually curious, do you have modeling software that could rotate a rigged wc3 model with it's animations to face a different direction? It might be worth it for me to investigate more existing alternatives to writing my own code.

10. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The result however is important: The model is just basically a rotated version, that's all.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    "Retera's Private Model Dump Thread"...

Wait, isn't "might be useful for some people but not good enough for..." usually the rationale behind "Substandard"?

12. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, so what's the matter anyway?

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ah, I didn't see the rating & thought you were saying "approved" as in "approved at all", i.e. was going to be rejected. My bad.

14. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    We're still at an impass where I have to run a piece of terrible, hacky code called ShimmeringPortal.java next time I want to rotate the axis of rotation of a bunch of quaternions :/

Anyway, sounds good. Thank you guys for the replies

15. Klein

Klein

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great idea!
    I suggest removing the color layer over the portal. The original portal has only the purple effect in the middle, which is enough in my opinion.