• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Upscale Textures Without Losing Image Quality - AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently made aware of a tool (A.I. Gigapixel – Topaz Labs) which can upscale images without sacrificing quality. It uses some machine learning techniques to do it, and the results look very nice. I figured it would work great with Warcraft III Assets.

For example, here is the original crypt fiend texture:

gwqVOa0.png

and here is the upscale version:

0ZyxKOd.jpg

Level 9
Can confirm this does indeed work! Its quite good at making lines and curves sharper. However it tends to "smudge" the texture a bit.

edit: Sidenote, since when can i have a 1024x1024 texture ingame lol.

Attachments

• Jaina.png
    Jaina.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 212
  • upload_2019-1-29_4-41-29.png
    upload_2019-1-29_4-41-29.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 501
  • Jaina Compare 2.png
    Jaina Compare 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 262
  • Jaina Compare.png
    Jaina Compare.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 394
  • Jaina_output.png
    Jaina_output.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Level 23
I'm not sure what you mean by the separated parts, the textures work fine in-game.

He means textures where the single patches aren't separated, but touching directly, e.g. 2 squares next to each other. The seam might cause problems.

Its quite good at making lines and curves sharper. However it tends to "smudge" the texture a bit.
edit: Sidenote, since when can i have a 1024x1024 texture ingame lol.

As expected I would say, since it is synthesizing pixels. BLP support has been updated by a recent patch, 1.30 or so, non pot now also work iirc.

I think the actual great benefit of this tool would be for designers to base a new updated texture off, and then scale it down again a bit.

In the end I don't really care personally since I like the wc3 style and I don't think slightly more high res textures would increase my enjoyment at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.