• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upgrades! A single player defense game with unlimited upgrading possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey everyone!

Upgrades! is a single player game I've been working on for a while now and i finally think I'm happy enough with it to share with others. You must defend against waves of Orcs and Ratlings using nothing but your soldiers, your towers, and a super soldier (hero). Nearly every aspect of your soldiers and towers are upgrade-able, as is your super soldier. You must choose which upgrades you want the most in order to survive as long as possible.

Main Features:

• Fight two different types of enemy, the Orcs and the Ratlings.
  • Choose between 4 different heros, and combine them with one of three different strategy boosters (Offensive, Defensive, Fortified)
  • Select the difficulty that suits you best!

Keeping gameplay fresh:
  • The enemy chooses either an offensive or defensive strategy at the start of the game, upgrading their own units accordingly as time goes on.
  • Every level, the enemy has a chance of using a "Booster", buffing up their soldiers for a temporary boost until you complete the round.
  • Mini events often occur, things such as ambushes or unit rushes.
Unit AI and armor types keep things interesting:
  • Two types of attack, and four types of defense keeps damage systems simple, but effective.
    • Normal and Pierce attack types
    • Light armor takes less damage from pierce and more damage from normal, those units are hard to hit and fast on their feet!
    • Heavy armor takes more damage from pierce and less damage from normal, exemplifying the importance of strong towers to take down heavily armored units quickly!
  • Your towers actively target heavily armored units
  • Enemy units (particularly Ratlings) have varying AI functions

This game is not fully complete, but i have worked hard to give it a polished and clean feel. I would love any feedback anybody who gives it a try might have! I've tried to make custom abilities relevant to my game and make sure each hero has specific strengths and weaknesses. My triggers are not leak free, however i am not too worried about that yet as it is just a single player game.

On that note, if anybody has ideas on how to adjust this game for multiplayer (maybe 4 player) i would love to hear it! And thank you for checking it out!

Screenshots:

Select one of four (currently 3 completed) super soldiers:

zk4ntGB.jpg

Choose a specific strategy to bolster your strategy:

NwQVa01.jpg

Defend against waves of Orcs (shown here), and then waves of Ratlings (a secret, should you survive to fight them!)

ClAbVGI.jpg

uK66xGp.jpg

AEb93sc.jpg

Model and Spell Credits:

Hero Models:
Battle Priest - Norinrad
Blood Elf Wizard - General Frank
Rifleman Elite - TurieL
Royal Captain - Tranquil
Hero Glow - assasin_lord​

Enemy Units:
Dragon Fly Stinger - Gluma
Ratling Gunner - Gluma
Skaven Clanrat - Gluma
Stormvermin - Gluma​

Effects:
Ancient Explosion SFX - WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Arcane Missile - Weep
Command Aura - JetFangInferno
DarknessMeteor - nGy
Darknova - marcus158
Devotion - JesusHipster
Dirt Explosion - WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Domination Aura - Direfury
EmpyreanSigil - JetFangInferno
EvilWave_Effect - sPy
Explosion Big - WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Health Surge - JesusHipster
Konstrukt_SniperMissile01 - Talon the Mage
Massive Punch Effect - arnelbigstonepd33r
Plasma Grenade - WILL THE ALMIGHTY
RoarCaster - DarkEvil
ShockAura - marcus158
SlowTarget - JetFangInferno
SoulArmor - JesusHipster
Stomp - nGy
Twilight Sparkle - ILH
Unleash the power - nhocklanhox6​

Attachments

• Upgrades!.w3x
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
Level 3
What a lovely map, I really enjoed playing it.
There are some thing that could be done anyway:
1) You could add the option to choose between races, (like upgrading in Footman Freenzy)
2) Some upgrade are pretty unbalanced (0.5 healt regen is just too much)
3) Spawning speed isn't really that viable compared to other option
4) You could add consumable, maybe as a spell (I'm thinking of the spell tome from Enfo's) or as purchasable item.

Keep up the good work, I really like the semplicity and the overall quality of the map.
If you need help triggering/making spell, just PM me.

Level 8
What a lovely map, I really enjoed playing it.
There are some thing that could be done anyway:
1) You could add the option to choose between races, (like upgrading in Footman Freenzy)
2) Some upgrade are pretty unbalanced (0.5 healt regen is just too much)
3) Spawning speed isn't really that viable compared to other option
4) You could add consumable, maybe as a spell (I'm thinking of the spell tome from Enfo's) or as purchasable item.

Keep up the good work, I really like the semplicity and the overall quality of the map.
If you need help triggering/making spell, just PM me.

Really like the idea of choosing between races, rather than being limited to footmen! Ive toyed with the idea of adding a ranged unit you could unlock once you beat the orcs though im not sure how I would go about adding that in..

Also a neat idea adding in items or consumables for the heroes. Maybe a store could appear every fifth with items that cost gold instead of wood? Special base booster items too. Hmm..

Thanks for the input! Any thoughts on multi player for a map like this? Maybe you could save your progress and buy global upgrades for future playthroughs?

Edit: Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Level 3
I love the concept, I'd love to see this go further.
I wish Warcraft III didn't have speed limits, LMAO

I haven't played too far in, yet, but if there aren't already, I feel there should definitely be a few very long range enemies, especially siege units, to increase the value of attack range on towers and movement speed on footmen.

Last edited:
Level 8
I love the concept, I'd love to see this go further.
I wish Warcraft III didn't have speed limits, LMAO

I haven't played too far in, yet, but if there aren't already, I feel there should definitely be a few very long range enemies, especially siege units, to increase the value of attack range on towers and movement speed on footmen.

Hey Crett,

Thanks for the kind words! I have actually been working on this map extensively and have turned it into an 8 player game. If you would like to give it a try in its new form you should add me and we can give it a go together!

Level 3
Hey Crett,

Thanks for the kind words! I have actually been working on this map extensively and have turned it into an 8 player game. If you would like to give it a try in its new form you should add me and we can give it a go together!

Sure! That sounds fun. My battle.net username is the same as on here.
Also is there any possibility of upping the range limit on towers? I was heartbroken that 1200 was the highest it went

Status
Not open for further replies.