• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Update: Webspace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Right now i'm trying to figue out how much we are over our quota webspace...
It doenst look too good seems were a lot over the quota. The tools are 100 MB, the Spells are 200mb.. and skins / maps / models havent even finished downloading yet... i started hours ago ...

Update:
- 100 MB tools
- 200 MB spells
- 600 MB models
- ??? MB maps
- ??? MB icons
- ??? MB skins

Level 22
We've partnered with two sites in the past. One closed down and blamed us for much of their problems afterward. The second was involved with some sort of fraudulent provider and ended up losing 8-some-odd gigs of our archives. In short we have not had luck with "partners".

And no, Tim, Vex and Whitehorn do not like wc3sear.ch.
-VGsatomi

Level 15
VGsatomi said:
The second was involved with some sort of fraudulent provider and ended up losing 8-some-odd gigs of our archives. In short we have not had luck with "partners".
No one took any full site backups?

TheHelper.net already got in trouble in this manner when their server crashed and they lost something like 5 months of data.

It has happened to many sites now it seems. :(

Backups are worth the effort and are cheap insurance against hosting problems and hardware failure.

Level 8
Damn I have alot of webspace on my server :]

Disk space available Unlimited Megabytes

But you can also scrap this table based design and do it pure css and not so image heavy, will increases web pages a bit, but not much.

But I would just say purge everything besides director choices and good quality.

Level 40
i went and freed up about 800 kbs of my own :)

anyways, these ppl not reading the news has become really frustrating, as i had to just go and delete about 40 Broken-Link maps from the site... the only good that seems to be coming of this is that ppl are freeing up space when they update their maps :D

PS. just tested, cuz i was curious, and you can still upload JASS ^^

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The map section is by far the largest section with an estimated 4GB of maps (beats my 1.4 GB of maps by far)

Deleting stuff of your own will not help there will always be 100s of beginners that ignore all this completly and leave their spam maps with 8mb of modles untouched.

The moderators have to individualy test each map to check the maps quality to decide if it is worthy of staying on the site.
I would be more than willing to help report maps of low quality but currently it seems the admins have not decided on any "requirement" system for maps.
Once the server problem is fixed I reccomend updating the rules if im not mistaken it is still saying that new rules will come soon yet does not link to them even if they exist.

Out of interest. . .
What is the max server space the site can have? (How many MBs are you paying for?)

Was not Vexorian* at one stage a moderator of this site or atleast a common poster?
If so why does he dislike this site so much? (if it is true that he dislikes this site?)

Level 2
I agree for once the site loading time needs to be improved. Even the mods doing their job find it a pain in the ass to browse for maps to delete.

Oh yeah, maybe u want to get more mods too?

Level 11
Facts are clearer. Our database is very big because our rules are too loose. We need to increase quality. I believe unit&building models, skins and maps take most of the space. I will start looking into the spells section and delete any maps with imported files that are not crucial. I saw a lot of maps that had importer models for the CASTER! I mean... that is simply obnoxious. We will also have to get to validation one way or another.

~Daelin

Level 3
Maybe you should compress your resorce in other way, for example in rar.
You could also make some limits in uploading files, for example:
-every person can upload only up to 10MB
-new users have to wait 10 days to be able upload anything

you could also thing about maikng a script witch would delete older versions of smoe map
(if two map has the same name and author then delete the older one)

Some big files could be host as a torrents file.
(you should have copy of those files)

Level 3
PurplePoot said:
Super - if everyone follows that opinion, we'll never get much space cleared up...

You mean my sugestions? What I wrote was not the finall solution, but things which you could do to get more disk space, it could give you more time to find way to solve the problem.

Level 11
That's one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard. Why limit someone because he is creative and posts a lot of cool stuff? Unit models can take a lot of space but for a very good modeler it is worth it. Take olof. You want to reduce his resources just because they are many yet they are so damn cool? I doubt it!

The best solution is to increase quality. And even better, mods can choose what stays and what doesn't. Some orientative rules, and everything else is up to the mod. It's up to him. No more circus about "blah, you accepted his resource and you didn't accept mine". Bad luck! In my opinion, his resource deserves to stay, your's doesn't. We are here to help the community, not reason why x's icon is better than your's. If mods have more authority around here and we level the quality a little (I don't ask for a massive purge, but let's face it, maps section is filled with crap and I have the feeling that it eats most of the resources) and start applying them, plus we use validation system, problem solved!

~Daelin

Level 3
You are the mod, you with other mod and admins will decide what to do. :)
We, normal users just tell you what we think about this, we might be wrong we`re just users (If we were infallible we would be mods just like you :p).
You thing my Ideas, are dumb, maybe you`re right :) but I think we should share with our ideas even if you ther are dumb :)

You have problem with disk space now, and the best way to solve it (as you already wrote) is to remove the crap resorce. To do this you will ned a lot of time, but (if I am right) you have problem with disk space right now.

Making any limits of resorces for good modelers/skiners/mapmakers isn`t good idea, you`re right, but I`m not saying that we should remove all good resorces.

Always ther are other ways to get some free MB`s, if you ask people to remove their crap resorce some people will do it (I guess about 2% of wc3sear.ch users :p)
If you find some way to remove older versions of map you will also get some free disk space. Making torrents base of BIG files might be also some temporary solution (I think those torrents would "die" very fast) And the last thing which I sugested is changing compression typ might halp, it wont halp a lot, but always it is additional free disk space, I know that you would need 2-3 days only to decompres and compres againg already existing resorces (if there is easy way to do this) and you can`t be sure if it would give a lot of fre disk space.

Maybe it would be faster to just remove crap resorces then thinking about some other solution. But please dont tell me that me ideas are the dumbest ideas you ever heard, because no one likes to hear that he makes the dumbest ideas. :)

I am not your enemy, I don`t want to argue with you. I am also with Daelin :)

Level 15
Changing the compression type of maps specifically won't help much. In fact, there's really no reason to compress maps at all. The internal MPQ is already compressed, rendering any additional compression basically useless.

Also, zip is pretty much the universal format. Some people espouse 7Zip and RAR as better and more efficient formats (and in many cases they are) but less people are able to use them. Zip decompression is already built into Windows XP after all. :)

Level 2
An idea:
Take all the maps that are 1 year old. Zip them up. When the site is better, upload them one by one. Or simply ask ppl to upload their own stuff.

My idea dont apply to skins, cos maps that are old are just less played.

Level 11
Omg MjhaL, I never assumed that I am right but that idea simply was... :roll: Nevermind. It appears that you are taking me far too seriously. I wasn't meaning it in an offensive way. :lol: Here, I take it back. Your idea was a bit strange and I'm sorry if I sounded rude.

And this whole "admins and mods have the power" stuff is sooo formal around here and is taken completely upside-down. Mods aren't to be taken like college teachers, spoken in an extremely formal way and stuff like that. Nobody minds of course, but it's not necessary. Through respect I understand users respecting an authority's decisions (not suggestions ;)). If I say that icon x is not good for being just a plain recolor => doesn't follow site's standards, I'm doing it for the sake of the site and so, we shouldn't start arguing about that.

Even though many people from here have something with warcraft 3 campaigns, the atmosphere there is friendly between mods and users. After all, we are of close ages (I think so...). The only difference is that we, as moderators, have to set things right. And when there is something wrong with a post being offensive or inappropriate (NOT referring to your post, don't get me wrong please) or a resource being low quality or simply offensive, we have to take action.

So again, sorry if I sounded harsh or something in my last post, I didn't mean it that way. Ok, I'll comment the stuff you posted lastly (more appropriate this time xD).

The problem with disk space RIGHT NOW will probably be solved by the administration by removing stuff. After this crisis is solved we DEFINITELY have to take action and start lowering the database. Craps are not needed through diversity because craps never help. Did I sound harsh again?

Always ther are other ways to get some free MB`s, if you ask people to remove their crap resorce some people will do it (I guess about 2% of wc3sear.ch users :p)
Indeed... funny thing this attitude. We all want to help as long as we don't have to delete our own resources. There isn't much we can do about the old resources, as in ask the author to fix them, because they may not be around anymore (example: The_Raven) but there are people who even though posted something last week and I ask them to modify it, they say something like "you do it if you're so smart". The problem here is in masses attitude. Everyone simply wants to see his resource, no matter how big or small it is, on the site. This isn't a competition. This is about sharing something truly useful and preferably quality. That's what our database is about.

Torrents are a big nono. I, for example, have a problem with ports and am unable to download from torrents.

Maybe it would be faster to just remove crap resorces then thinking about some other solution.
Good! Now question number two: "what do you understand through crap?". Because by today's standards, our opinion doesn't matter but site's rules which ironically are made by us too. If a resource follows the rules and it is deleted because a certain problem was avoided and exploited, it's not like every little resource should stay. And the "if his resource stays, then so does mine" stuff is also used around here frequently.

We need to rethink our system, come with new standards, and then start to delete stuff. And guys, if you think that it's our fault here... Well, maybe it is. After all, we are human and our system may not be perfect. But I have a feeling that the stuff I mentioned above are also somewhere around the fault-system.

I know I haven't been extremely active lately, and it wasn't because I didn't have time. It was because I no longer felt good around here. I no longer feel wc3sear.ch as my home, like I used to, and I simply do not understand why. I want it to get back to its former glory, but for that... some changes have to be done. Since everyone shrugs or blames someone else... nothing has been done by now. I will try to involve more into finding the right solutions for the sake of this site, and help put an end tho this crisis.

~Daelin

Level 3
I guess the problem is no longer disk space :)
You are right, people should not argue with mods decisions about removing (or not) of the resorces.

what do you understand through crap?

Crap is randomly selected 10-20% of the worse resorces :)
I know that "randomly" removing the bad resorces is the best way to cause problems, about which you`ve already been writting:
"if his map stayed, then why my was removed" or something like that, any way I know that sometimes it is hard to say if something is a crap or not, there are fantastic models with big bugs (like Norinrad`s first Dwarven Shield Breaker)
(btw I think shield breaker is posted twice;
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=3562&sid=99f2ec7c43aa8d999e43032e8b10cd02
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=2106&sid=99f2ec7c43aa8d999e43032e8b10cd02
althought ther used to be two different models, and there are different pictures now in both is the same model; download them and see that thare are the same files)

You have big problem, because as soon you start removing craps, some trolls will start to spam on forum or in PM. I am happy that I don`t have your poblems (at least this one) :)

So, you are going to start aproving resorces like on wc3c? Now all you need is some bad guys to do it.

I am on wc3sear.ch for quite long (althought I`m not active user), and I think that this side is the best wc3 side, and it is mainly because all mods and admins. A also liked here that everyone could post his craps :)

Level 6
sry, but it is 2 different models - one have WoW fighter anims (and different skin).

I agree there is many crapy stuff, but it always bad to delete it in such way as 1 year and old. Who says old things are bad things?.
Second thing witch makes me fear is one-man decisions about what have to stay and what have to be deleted. What seems crapy and useless for one can be shiny and useful for somebody else. There should be matter of more than one man.

That way or not, what about some, say, black list, where will be all that "crapy" stuff listed aprox week or two befor it will be deleted? Who want to get it, he get chance and after that time it will be deleted and space is save

Level 5
Theres a heck alot of maps with no names or even .. that SHOULD be deleted. Some DotA Maps that can be dwnlded at www.dota-allstars.com and also the AIs. Some Blizzard created maps that can be dwnlded at blizzard.

You should also i think, make maps bounce to the front everytime you post, that should keep old FUN maps still being around.

Maybe possible but not sure (I dont understand making websites) why not make the Map section a forum? It also helps my suggestion above. Some maps that are uploaded at other sites can be linked there by putting links on new topics in that Submission Forum. Comments can be left on that topic too.

I also delete my own old versions, my stuff craps and everything that doesnt fit this site.

Daelin said:
Omg MjhaL, I never assumed that I am right but that idea simply was... :roll: Nevermind. It appears that you are taking me far too seriously. I wasn't meaning it in an offensive way. :lol: Here, I take it back. Your idea was a bit strange and I'm sorry if I sounded rude.

And this whole "admins and mods have the power" stuff is sooo formal around here and is taken completely upside-down. Mods aren't to be taken like college teachers, spoken in an extremely formal way and stuff like that. Nobody minds of course, but it's not necessary. Through respect I understand users respecting an authority's decisions (not suggestions ;)). If I say that icon x is not good for being just a plain recolor => doesn't follow site's standards, I'm doing it for the sake of the site and so, we shouldn't start arguing about that.

Even though many people from here have something with warcraft 3 campaigns, the atmosphere there is friendly between mods and users. After all, we are of close ages (I think so...). The only difference is that we, as moderators, have to set things right. And when there is something wrong with a post being offensive or inappropriate (NOT referring to your post, don't get me wrong please) or a resource being low quality or simply offensive, we have to take action.

So again, sorry if I sounded harsh or something in my last post, I didn't mean it that way. Ok, I'll comment the stuff you posted lastly (more appropriate this time xD).

The problem with disk space RIGHT NOW will probably be solved by the administration by removing stuff. After this crisis is solved we DEFINITELY have to take action and start lowering the database. Craps are not needed through diversity because craps never help. Did I sound harsh again?

Indeed... funny thing this attitude. We all want to help as long as we don't have to delete our own resources. There isn't much we can do about the old resources, as in ask the author to fix them, because they may not be around anymore (example: The_Raven) but there are people who even though posted something last week and I ask them to modify it, they say something like "you do it if you're so smart". The problem here is in masses attitude. Everyone simply wants to see his resource, no matter how big or small it is, on the site. This isn't a competition. This is about sharing something truly useful and preferably quality. That's what our database is about.

Torrents are a big nono. I, for example, have a problem with ports and am unable to download from torrents.

Maybe it would be faster to just remove crap resorces then thinking about some other solution.
Good! Now question number two: "what do you understand through crap?". Because by today's standards, our opinion doesn't matter but site's rules which ironically are made by us too. If a resource follows the rules and it is deleted because a certain problem was avoided and exploited, it's not like every little resource should stay. And the "if his resource stays, then so does mine" stuff is also used around here frequently.

We need to rethink our system, come with new standards, and then start to delete stuff. And guys, if you think that it's our fault here... Well, maybe it is. After all, we are human and our system may not be perfect. But I have a feeling that the stuff I mentioned above are also somewhere around the fault-system.

I know I haven't been extremely active lately, and it wasn't because I didn't have time. It was because I no longer felt good around here. I no longer feel wc3sear.ch as my home, like I used to, and I simply do not understand why. I want it to get back to its former glory, but for that... some changes have to be done. Since everyone shrugs or blames someone else... nothing has been done by now. I will try to involve more into finding the right solutions for the sake of this site, and help put an end tho this crisis.

~Daelin
Though a few users have started deleting a few of their own stuff, but for the rest I completely agree with you.

Level 1
Another small suggestion that could help:

Delete ALL maps without any type of description. I know this sounds harsh, but do you EVER download a random map called "Super DotA Hero Wars Enfos Edition X3" that has absolutely no description whatsoever? It's also pretty much safe to say that not only will they never be downloaded, but they're most likely effortless crap since the maker couldn't even be bothered to put a tiny bit of info. :roll:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Most WoW modles on this site are hardly opoimized.
The people who opotmized them often are scared to lower their quality noticably thus often end up with a 2000+ poly counted modle with 30 animations and 300*300 pixle skin file.

Wc3 is not meant to have high res modles.
Most wc3 modles have about 1000 polys with few animations and low res pixle skins.

There are few exceptions like the cinimatic scenes and the high res ilidan but thoes are not meant to be more than 1 at a time and never seen in normal games.

Imported modles should be 300 KB at most since any bigger and the benifit out weighs the effect it has on dl time although dl time should not be brought into it.

Most importantly if you have 2MB WoW modles you can only have 1 since in a map since the max is 4MB and that 1 modles uses up 50% of the space.

If you lower the wow modles to 300 odd KB you can have many and thus you can apperciate them more (although they look less good than when they were 2MB)

So I say that most modles should not be bigger than 300 KB with the excption of Dragons and some large structures which should be at most 500 KB.

Please not im not saying that it must be like this im only giving my opinion towards modle size and i am awair that many of you will dissagree since i look at only multiplayer use.

Level 2
Dr Super Good said:
Most WoW modles on this site are hardly opoimized.
The people who opotmized them often are scared to lower their quality noticably thus often end up with a 2000+ poly counted modle with 30 animations and 300*300 pixle skin file.

Wc3 is not meant to have high res modles.
Most wc3 modles have about 1000 polys with few animations and low res pixle skins.

There are few exceptions like the cinimatic scenes and the high res ilidan but thoes are not meant to be more than 1 at a time and never seen in normal games.

Imported modles should be 300 KB at most since any bigger and the benifit out weighs the effect it has on dl time although dl time should not be brought into it.

Most importantly if you have 2MB WoW modles you can only have 1 since in a map since the max is 4MB and that 1 modles uses up 50% of the space.

If you lower the wow modles to 300 odd KB you can have many and thus you can apperciate them more (although they look less good than when they were 2MB)

So I say that most modles should not be bigger than 300 KB with the excption of Dragons and some large structures which should be at most 500 KB.

Please not im not saying that it must be like this im only giving my opinion towards modle size and i am awair that many of you will dissagree since i look at only multiplayer use.

Indeed, IF your doing a MP map.
But if your doing a campaign etc, size doesnt realy matter...and in campaigns you can have multiple files at MB size.

Level 6
I agree with Werewulf. And with campaings size also does mater - not too much but, who will place on web or download 500MB Campaing?

Level 5
Should avoid having too much WoW models!

Heck Alvatar was right, and some campaigns do have big sizes. Like RotD and Spider Queen. Maybe keep campaigns as LOW as possible like 10 - 20 mb. Should do

Using models for making a game look more good etc is useless in my opinion; I only use models for only unprovided class models (Elven Blademaster, Ner'zhul).

Basically you should remove models with high bytes and also models that can be recreated with triggers like attaching wings, emitters etc.

P.S I saw an Ethereal Grom somewhere in the site a few while ago; have you deleted that? You should!

Level 4
this sucks

look this is sucky, i have a suggestion, if there are any crappy models, skins, icons or whatever, just **** them, delete them and that will free up tonnes of space, if a model hasnt been downloaded for ages, i think bin it, its like throwing out old cigarettes when your ashtray is full, or giving away old stuff that you have no use for

i havn't been bothered to read the rest of this but still

Re: this sucks

The Death_Stalker said:
look this is sucky, i have a suggestion, if there are any crappy models, skins, icons or whatever, just **** them, delete them and that will free up tonnes of space, if a model hasnt been downloaded for ages, i think bin it, its like throwing out old cigarettes when your ashtray is full, or giving away old stuff that you have no use for

i havn't been bothered to read the rest of this but still
Old good quality models should not be deleted.

Level 3
So there will be no campagins on the site? Or just small ones around 10 or 20 MBs?If restarting the site wont work and dumping everything onto a bucket site wont work either,than I guess this will take awhile picking through things and deleting those specific files.For those maps and models that are too good to delete(such as those Gnomes and great Trolls,etc),lower the polys a bit and anything to decrease the file size.

But this wont work forever.Unless the Administrator finds a permanent solution ti the crisis,in a few months we will be in the same hole all over again.

Also,why do people post DOTAs and Footies?There is no point in posting these on the site.They're everywhere else and I'm about to go insane!The only maps that should be posted on the site should be origional ideas from members.

Status
Not open for further replies.