• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Units Return After Attacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I have, on occasion, attempted to make my own DoTA style map using the WC3 world editor (frozen throne or original, same thing happens). The problem is that when the units fight each other, after a battle, some of them will return back to where they are created, while other will continue on with the attack-move order they were issued.

There is no reasoning for the return. They were issued no other command. In fact, on the map I am making, there is only a creation routine every 20 seconds, and the command issued to attack-move to the other's base.

After the fight in the middle, they will at random choose to either go back to where they were created, or continue forward.

I have tried hundreds of suggestions throughout the years but nothing has ever worked. I have studied the code of similar games that do not exhibit this behavior to find nothing that would stop it from happening. I have turned off guard positions, I have changed several of the game constants following others suggestions. I have made several more triggers that reissue the attack-move command.

Short of having a very thin region back to back across the entire screen issuing the command (which causes a lot of studdering), I have found no way to make the units continue to the point they were suppose to go to.

I still haven't given up. Since 2003 I've been trying to tackle this issue. I decided to try again and was hoping maybe there had been a patch or something to fix this but was disappointed to see that it's still there.

Would love to hear any other suggestions. The units are controlled by a computer player. I can't make them normal players as I only want it to be 1v1 and only want 2 players to join.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to trying any suggestions.

Level 10
3 main points:
1. Did you made sure that there's no other possible trigger that issues different order to the units?

2. Go check if there's any mistakes in any triggers that will cause this problem.

3. Did you set their guard distance?

Level 1
3 main points:
1. Did you made sure that there's no other possible trigger that issues different order to the units?

2. Go check if there's any mistakes in any triggers that will cause this problem.

3. Did you set their guard distance?

I have guard distance set at max. There is only triggers that give the attack-move order, nothing else. I'm positive there is nothing wrong with the triggers.
This behavior is easily duplicated. Just make two spots where units spawn and then send them to attack something but they end up fighting each other. Send 3 or more at a time. You will find that some will return for no reason.

Level 1
It's so strange to me that there is no fix for this (without some hard coding). I wish they would have patched this years ago. Something this silly and game breaking that prevents so many from making a mod. I see countless threads about this all over the internet from years ago and several from late last year.
I would have made a dozen nice mods back in 03 and 04 had this bug not existed. It had prevented me from making anything for nearly a decade. I still haven't given up hope. Somewhere, someone knows the code that is takes to fix this. I'll keep looking.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
A reminder of the order will get it going again I think, with the vaules you already have you just need to order them to move every 10 to 20 seconds.

Level 1
A reminder of the order will get it going again I think, with the vaules you already have you just need to order them to move every 10 to 20 seconds.

I have tried that as well. What happens is you have some minions running forward, some running backward, then turning around and running back the other way again. It's not a real solution. They shouldn't turn around and try to go back to where they were spawned. It also briefly stalls all the units being given the order for just a split second.

I even do an AI - Ignore <units> guard position for every unit when it gets created. Why and how does it know to go back to it's creation point?

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Don't double-post, some people have solved this issue... in a few AoS's I have noticed it I think... I could be wrong, and that could be not fixable. Let us hope there is a solution.

If you set the aquire range of units owned by neutral hostile to like 3000, they will attack anything within that radius... maybe that could benefit you?

Level 5
try using this trigger Unit Group - Pick every unit in <yourregion> and do action Unit - Order Unit to Move to <targetpoint>.
I'm not sure that'll help, im just guessin, but the units won't stay in formation if u use this trigger.

Level 20
They shouldn't attack neutrals in the jungle, because they can't see them. As in DOTA, creeps can attack neutrals but you have to find the way to make them face each other.

Setting Acquisition Range to 1000 or so and null the creep guard return and return time should fix the issue.

Level 10
I have guard distance set at max. There is only triggers that give the attack-move order, nothing else. I'm positive there is nothing wrong with the triggers.
This behavior is easily duplicated. Just make two spots where units spawn and then send them to attack something but they end up fighting each other. Send 3 or more at a time. You will find that some will return for no reason.

Oh yea, I remembered what's the problem might possibly is. I've faced it once. Did you have a large enough spawn area?

Status
Not open for further replies.