• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Created units seem to have a "Home" Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
After creating several maps I've been able to self-learn WCIII's triggering system, but there's still one problem I keep running into --

Whenever I create units or units or trained, I'd issue them an order (attack-move or move,) but after the order's issued they'll try to run back to their spawn point. In a map where I had trained units line up, they'd move to their position only to immiedtly run back to where they were trained. And now I create a few units at a spawn point, and order them to attack move down a path. After killing one thing or running for awhile they all of a sudden turn around and try to run back (since a gate closes they can't, but they face the gate).

Both times they were player units not neutral hostile.

My main quesiton is this -- how do I fix this problem? I've tried using AI commands but nothing changed.

Oh, and my old add Hero Glow trigger I got isn't working anymore. Is there any updated verison, or site which lets you download it again (I copied from an old map, maybe I missed something).

Thanks.

Level 8
ok, for your first problem, i dont really know why they are moving back, and i understand thats really anoying! but can u post me the map and let me look at it?

ok for your 2nd problem. look at this sites dl part and try to find it OR! use weu and get it from there.

Both times they were player units not neutral hostile.

They are player units, not neutral hostile so I think they can walk anywhere they want unlike hostile units.

BTW: I don't think there is a "Player 13" unless you are refering to the neutral units.

I think it might be some triggering or a bug or something that is wrong. Did you use triggers or did it happen manually when you issued an order? ?

Level 2
The created Units are for a Computer-Player of an opposing faction. Actually they get farther if they're neutral hostile but then I have a few issues. There are actually players 13-16, which includes Neutral Hostile Neutral Passive Neutral Rescueable and one other that escapes me at the moment.

I deleted the intial map AI and haven't enstated any other AI. I tried using the recyle guard position commands but none of them changed anything.

All the units are given orders through the trigger right after they're created. I just rediscovered the AI creation tool, so I might fiddle with that, but if there's an easier way or any tips for the AI editor it would be MUCH appericated.

The paraphrased code is below:
Round Timer Expires
-
Loop (runs 1 through 68) {
Create unit-type in array EastPlainsTroops(Integer A) for Player Light Blue facing 270 degrees at center of region
Clear unit-type from array EastPlainsTroops(Integer A)
}
Open Gate
Wait a Second
Pick Every unit in region and order picked unit to attack move to region2 (south of the other region)

I'll try to start sending the map to those of you who request it so you can see it more directly (feel free to e-mail or IM me). The only other curious notes:
In that one second wait all the units face each other (the center of the region).
It's about halfway when they turn around and run back. A sheep does seem to briefly get in maybe one or two of their ways but its nothing major.
Since the door closes they hump the door till it opens again, then they run to the center. The next group leaves and does the same thing (although the door stays open so they succed in getting back in).

As far as the hero glow goes I can't find the model in the archives, although I thought that is where I first found it.

Thanks again guys.

UPDATE: Well, apparently there was an AI I had in there. I took it out and it caused them to go to the end, although once all the orders they recieve have been taken they run back to the start. I recall having a problem where if they attacked something and the target died they would still run back rather then continuing moving, and I still wonder if there's a way to avoid being forced to give them a stop or hold position order when they get to their target.

Last edited:
Level 11
I experienced the same problem too... This happens when there are many units, and the path is not clear enough (units block each other) to reach the order target point.
Try to make a periodical trigger that reorders the created units to the original order point.

Status
Not open for further replies.