• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit skins question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember if it is possible or if was even possible before reforged, but I would like to know if there is a way to use multiple skins on a unit. example below

I have 3 Blood Elf Archer custom units as seen below

Quel'dorei Archer
Sin'dorei Archer
Ren'dorei Archer

I like to know if it is possible to use the specific skins for specific custom units, so the Quel'dorei archer has a high elf skin and the Ren'dorei has a Dark Ranger/archer skin (sin'dorei would remain as its already in game)

if someone knows how to do this and can explain it to me that would help me greatly

thank you

Yep this is possible and the way to do it "relatively" easy.

To do it in Reforged you'll need a CascViewer and an mdl/mdx converter.

First use the CascViewer to open up the Warcraft 3 game files. Go to Hd.mod > units > other > archer and then export three copies of the model file and portrait file. They should be in .mdx. Use the converter on them and then open them up in .mdl which should be a text format. Go to the part where you can see all the texture paths and change them to whatever you want. Save and re-name the model files. Then import the models into your map and set your skin paths to the paths you changed the model paths to in the .mdl format.

Hope this helps :)

I have another question. It still has to do with this same idea, however I trying to export they Cityscape Tower (no flags or banner) to retexture it and add some spikes and other things. However I keep getting these 2 error in Mldvis and War3 model editor just by trying to open the it has mdx

War 3 Model editor error

j5E7KKt.jpg

Mldvis Error

Kjn3Nzq.jpg

I was trying to use Mldvis to add the other "object" spikes and such since i now how to in that program. Does anyone know what is going on or can explain a work around or explain how to add one object/geosets from one model (example: adding a spike to the top of the tower pointing out) to another. in mldvis it was simple to just select all the vertices things clip copy, than go to the model your working on select 1 vertices and click paste special you down.

tower model is below

KNqW8EL.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

oh ok. I have it but i can't figure out for the life of me how to attach out "models" to this tower. Like this spike below. its the center spike in the iron horde barricade from WOW. I am trying to make a Barad Dur Tower using only Warcraft3 and WoW model assets (its an experiment). could you tell me how i would go about doing this? With Mldvis it would have been simple for me to copy the model below and than open up the tower and select one of its "vertices" and hit paste special.

F2zEOev.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.