1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Unforgotten

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Strydhaizer, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Sooo recently I've done Water Structure and Asian theme scenes, now it's prehistoric! :D Here I post all the WIP screenshots as well as the final output as my entry for TC21.

I recently replayed Far Cry Primal just to get some ideas with how it looks at feels during Prehistoric period, it is the first game that popped out of my head when I heard that the theme will be prehistoric.

I will really appreciate feedbacks and comments!

Notes:
    • Units are placeholders (usually used as height rulers/references), they may or may not appear in the final preview as they are often distracting to the scene.

Assets:
    Survival Ministructure: Clay Forge
    Survival Ministructure: Skinning Rack
    Survival Ministructure: Rain Collector
    Survival Ministructure: Shelter
    Beach Umbrella
    Other list of assets are posted here.

Final
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Gotta say I prefer the earlier version with the valley. Looks a bit more generic with the mountain range behind imo.

3. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's meant to be a cave actually, but I might redo most of it because I don't have any ideas what to do next after doing the foreground.

4. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If it's supposed to be a cave, I'd suggest you subtly close it at the top of the screen and maybe you should experiment with stalagmites.

Nuuu, mountains are way better.

Also, "Game View Mode", lol noob ;-)

-

I kind of miss the man from the first shot, tho, and I think it'd been really cool if you redid the scene to make the center of the terrain be a large crater valley that he is looking out across, preferrably with a big lake in the middle of it. The scale needs to be right though, so you'd have to tone down and scale the background mountains. But anyway, it looks promising.

5. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    There's actually a rock at the top (it's an arch) it's just not rendering on screen :D.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
  7. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    GREAT!

8. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, you didn't like the man or the crater idea :(

I do very much like how this turned out, even though there's no man or crater. And I especially like the cave that looks like an eye, with the sunset being the iris, pretty slick ;)
    I only wish there was a bit more... Uh, content? There's basically not that much going on in the shot, I mean, the lighting is neat, the doodad placement is spot on and everything looks very tidy, but there could have been more of a story to it, more context, something to catch the eye. (Heh, heh...).

Overall though, a good performance! I know I'm late, but I still love that you're still doing this ^^

9. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I tried to put him there it doesn't really work, sorry. :(

By the way thanks Keiji, I'm glad you're still around, I've been waiting for your response since I returned here lol. Also, legacy continues.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks! And you'll see more of me from now on ^^

I haven't had a PC for quite some time now, and just recently I got my hands on a toaster that I can use to be active on the forums. But it will be some time still until I return to terraining, I need a better PC for that. But I sure will when I can, I can't wait to terrain in Reforged! :D

11. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    That sounds like a good news to me, I am looking forward for a new stuff from you, it's been a while. I will be letting you to be the first one to make a scenic terrain in Reforged, unfortunately I don't see myself moving in the remastered (for now - maybe), I'm not really feeling it. :)

12. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You guys should be a master terrainer for some huge projects like mine. Your aesthetic accomplishments can make every map in a campaign look epic and repeatable to play on.

13. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's high praise, thank you!

We'll see if I'm going to be up for joining projects and so-such when I return properly to terraining, I've actually never really managed to do so before (Mostly due to laziness), but I think it'd be a fun new experience to try out once I get back into the saddle ^^

Sad to hear it, I hope you'll change your mind once you see all the remade assets for Reforged, the doodads and all that especially makes me slobber when I think of what I could do with them :D

I don't want to disclose too much, but I'll let you in on a little secret: When Reforged comes around, I have plans for the terrain board, and terraining on a whole as a concept for our community, I sincerely hope you'll be a part of that journey and that many others will as well. Let's bring terraining back! :p

14. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I do feel like Media section is to blame on why the Terrain Board is getting dusty, the audience are attracted more there than here (I've seen alot of good terrains there that weren't posted here), maybe if it is possible make the terrain board look like the terrain gallery in WC3C then maybe we can hook more audiences here (make this board look like a painting museum).

15. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What media section do you mean? Art and Graphic Design?

16. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    This

Media | HIVE

It's in the navigation bar which makes it more accessible than here.

By the way I like the new name of the Terrain Board, but it's weird to see TB departed from 'Artists Discussion' section.

17. lord_Turin

lord_Turin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting, I am intrigued