• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3's Skibi's TD Redux for SC2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
(Post Last Updated Dec 10,2010)

One of my all time favorite maps from Wc3 is Skibi's TD map.
But alas, Blizzard didn't make a SC2 Version.
So I am completely, re-creating the map from scratch, manually, since the "convert legacy map" feature doesn't really help much in this situation. I still give full credit to the original maker of the map and to Blizzard for the WC3 version map so not to infringe on any copyright. I just want the map to be on Sc2 so we can all play it, so here goes!

Also, I am updating the map with some of SC2's new features. (Dialogs, etc.)
And decided since I don't just want to completely copy the map verbatim, I am going to add/alter/remove certain towers, waves, minigames. And of course rename everything to be Scifi based rather than a Magic Realm based.
Its hard to read someone else's code and see how it makes any sense, so of course I will also be recoding everything my own way with the same look and feel of the original map.
So necessarily, only the basic layout of the map, and the idea of minigames between waves will be carried over from the original makers idea.

The Map

The map was so big I had to take two screenshots to show the whole thing.

attachment.php

Bottom

attachment.php

This Image shows a large area of the map in the editor. You can see the main TD paths and also the minigames scattered throughout. Also, I've decorated the entire map with artwork. Such as the 8 Ball. To make the map more detailed and enjoyable.

These are all WIP screens.

WIP, as you can see, some of the TD paths aren't completely textured.
attachment.php

'Crimson Red Rover', a veiw from one side. Will you send a smart bomb right over???
attachment.php

The view from atop the 'Escapees' minigames player platform. Many Skibi fans will see the resemblance of the minigame to the Balista minigame from the WC3 version.
attachment.php

The 'Ring of Fire' minigame, reminds me more of a snowflake... the nearby snowman mocks your soon to be burnt self.
attachment.php

The Crystal Cavern minigame.
attachment.php

A racer, on the currently incomplete 'Death Race' minigame starting line.
attachment.php

The map itself is built for 8 players total, 4 on East (Blue) team and 4 on West (Red) team. (This is down from Skibi's 10 players to decrease possible lag and also increase the types of minigames that would be viable.)

Map Play Modes -
TD Easy (Minigames between each round to earn minerals, and minerals from kills)
TD Hard - No Minigames (Earn minerals from kills only.)
TD Insane (Wave size doubled, no minerals from kills, minigames only)
Minigames Only (Competative play, but without the TD aspect. Get the most minerals!!!)
Minigame Free Play (Play minigames that you choose, just for fun!) This will be available in a Beta demo version sooner than the rest of the modes.)

Map Start -
Depending on how many are on each team, you will receive a lump sum of minerals to begin with. Then from there on out, you only recieve minerals for kills and minigames (unless on hard or insane).

After each wave, a minigame will start. depending on the wave, you will either play with only your team, or in a vs minigame against the oposing team and have a chance to hinder their success.

After a minigame is finished, you return to your TD area, and have a minute to construct more towers. before the next wave. Ant then everything starts again.

Also, there will be items winable from waves and minigames, that can be used before the end of a wave to effect the next wave or next minigame.
For example, there will be an item to unlock a special ability for whatever minigame unit you may have in the next minigame. If for some reason the minigame doesnt have such a need for a added skill, the item will be returned to the user so they can try again later.

Terrain completion - 95% (This is actually what I am most proud of. Its so full of eye candy.)
Minigame Completion (3 of 34, perhaps more.)
Towers - 0% (The original map had a lot of Towers, I'm trying to figure out the best way to begin the conversion. And no worries, it will have the same amount of towers, if not more in the end.)
Completed Waves (2 of 50+)

Minigames
This of course was my favorite part of the original TD map. So Ive drafted ideas and plans for many more of these, as well as versions of the orig maps minigames with different twists and multiple play versions.

Mini Game List (So far, and any with a * are from the orig map. And Ive renamed them with a SC2 feel, so it may not be immediately noticeable what minigame it is to those who have played Skibi's before.) In time I will place screenshots of all the minigames and brief descriptions.

Team Only (Death Possible to Have Less/No Gain)

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Money Grabber, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit that is amidst a burning heap of ruin. Then you see mineral caches start to appear! But whats that sound!? its an airstrike! Grab as much of the minerals as you can before you die! Survive for the entire duration for an added bonus!!

Possible Gains -
+1, +2, +3, or +5 Mineral Per Gathered Cache
+10 Minerals to a player for Surviving
+5 to 10 Minerals (Based on number of players) For whole team is everyone
survives!

Abilities To Use -
Sprint, Medpack, Personal Sheild. (Bonus Ability - Snipe)

(The Ghost is simply a placeholder unit for this minigame until the real usable unit is created with the correct abilities and stats.)
attachment.php

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Race To Finish, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit that you must run through a series of obstacles to reach the finish line. The Gauntlet is broken into three parts. Finishing each part earns you some minerals. Finishing all three parts will earn an extra bonus.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Completion, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit in a small snowflake shaped area. One at a time or in a sequence, fire turrets will activate and attempt to spray nearby enemies with fire. Move about the ring to survive the onslaught of flame.

Synopsis - You begin with a single unit capable of leaping from one floor level to the next. While being on the raised platforms you are safe. However, mineral caches appear on other platforms! To reach them you must leap down and then leap up again. Be careful! On the lower platform are hungry zerglings, who try to grab a meal when you are in reach.
'Rough Landings' Zone Layout
attachment.php

Synopsis - You begin with a single unit that you utilize to attack the various dropships overhead. On Each hit, the dropships will drop a mineral cache. Also, attracted by the noise, some zerg will appear and try to kill you. Killing these zerg provides a small bonus.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Survivor, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit standing on a 3x3 checkered area. Over the course of the minigame, attacks will rain down on one or multiple sections of the 3x3 area. Move about and try to stay alive. Some areas will give you more minerals by standing in them, but they will be more dangerous.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Kill Gains, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit which you utilize to kill as many of the spawning enemies as possible. The larger they are the more they are worth, but also the harder they are to kill. They can harm you so be prepared to heal yourself if neccesary.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Collection Gains, Kill Gains, Rare Item Gains, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit, an engineer. The engineer can place mines that will destroy wreckage in a small area. Inside the wreckage there may be minerals hidden, the occasional rare item, and also the occasional parrasitical alien. Obtain as many minerals as you can hidden throughout the debris field, without dying of course!

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Kill Gains, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit with a specific type of attack that you choose at the start. Massive amounts of pests begin to swarm you. Fight them off as best you can and earn minerals for every kill. And a lump sum if you survive.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Kill Gains, Survival Gains, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit. Around the area infested Terrans start to creep towards you. As best you can, avoid their claws and try to survive using the very limited supplies you have.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Kill Gains, Survival Gains, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit. The hunt is on. But are you the prey or the hunter??? Here, both are true. A very large ultralisk will try and kill you, as you try to bring it down. Teamwork will work best in distracting the creature as the others attack it. Be careful, his friends will occasionally appear to slow your progress.

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Survival Gains, Possible Death, Collection Gains.
Synopsis - You begin with a single collection unit. Spread all over the cavern are minerals that you can mine. Mining them will cause them to recede for a while and then return. As you mine, beware of the occasional lodestone creature that will appear and try to stop you. But you have no weapons, then best you can do is run away and try to avoid him. Mine as much as you can!

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Survival Gains, Possible Death
Synopsis - You begin with a single unit trapped on an island surrounded by lava. Suddenly, creatures engulfed in flames emerge from the lava and try to set you ablaze as well. Also, watch out for the occasional lava burst that will fly into the zone. Survive as long as you can!

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Survival Gains, Possible Death, Kill Gains.
Synopsis - You begin with a single tank unit. Spread all over the area are upgrades to allow you to have more attacks and defenses. Also, there are sentry bots that spawn and try to destroy you. Build up your tanks, and destry as many bots as possible! Survive for an extra bonus!

MiniGame Type - Your Team Only, Survival Gains, Possible Death, Collection Gains.
Synopsis - You begin with a collector unit. But you are not alone! Kerrigan is here! and she is trying to cover you in her Zerg creep! Run about and gathe as many minerals as you can while trying to avoid Kerrigans devastating attacks.

Team Only (Gain Only)
Escapees*
Money Pit*
Bounty Hunters* Lvl 1-9
Gatherers*
Crowd Control
Hungry Zergling*

VS Opposing Team (Death Possible to Have Less/No Gain)Warfare*
Battle Tanks
Hide and Seek
Scourge Tennis
Ghost Hunters*
Death Race*
Merloc Marines*
Crystal Cavern (Vs Variation)
Scolded (Vs Variation)
Crimson Red Rover
Treads (Vs Variation)

VS Opposing (Gain Only)
Beacon Dash
Tug of War
Hungry Hungry Zergling*

Bonus Games (VS)Chance (Money and Items)

Bonus Games (Team)Chance (Money only)

Attachments

• Screenshot2010-10-05 17_14_30.jpg
    Screenshot2010-10-05 17_14_30.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 2,385
  • Terrain 001.jpg
    Terrain 001.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 4,195
  • Terrain 002.jpg
    Terrain 002.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 3,211
  • Terrain 003.jpg
    Terrain 003.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 2,602
  • Terrain 004.jpg
    Terrain 004.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 2,421
  • Terrain 005.jpg
    Terrain 005.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 2,309
  • Terrain 006.jpg
    Terrain 006.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 2,301
  • Terrain 008.jpg
    Terrain 008.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 2,326
  • Terrain 007.jpg
    Terrain 007.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 2,190
  • Rough Landings.jpg
    Rough Landings.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,179
Last edited:
Level 4
Updated the original Post with the following information.

In this update.
Added -

6 more minigames to the List. Renamed a few to match thier names on the map.
Updated the Terrain completion from 85% to 90%
Added 5 new WIP screenshots showing some of the areas of the map as theya re being constructed.
Added a brief description of Item use in the map.

Level 4
Work on this has resumed afer a month hiatus. Sorry guys. Had too much going on.

With the PTR 1.2 patch info stating that the next version will have a validator that checks pathing between points being valid or not, this will make creating TDs much easier. As to say, I am very happy and cant wait.

Today so far, I did some more basic round setup stuff.
Made the game display kills this round, and kills total at the end of each wave.

Also added NO-Build pathing everywhere you arent supposed to build. Which, took a looong time.

Also, on my original post, I started to fill in some of the minigame descriptions. Check them out! I will have even more done later tonight!

I am hoping to at least have a demo out with a few working playable minigames by the end of the year. (the TD part of the map itself may not be complete by then.)

Last edited:
Level 2
All the best for the creator of this map, i know that so off topic but i cant wait to post something to cheer you. Skibi's castle is one of my favorite map all the time. I'm even tried and successfully beat this map with no single leak at all.

All the best
:grin::wink::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Skibi TD was not made by blizzard, but one of their to be employees. It existed for many years before becomming a Blizzard map once he got a job with them.

It is named Skibi for personal reason I believe and as such it probably is not a good idea to make a SC2 map with a simlar name as the name only really meant something to its author.

Status
Not open for further replies.