• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Underwater and Surface level in one map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I saw this feature on Water Wars- Submerged. I don't know how to do it. People don't explain at all how to do that. I can't figure it out alone it's very complex. Either explain it as a tutorial or make a template. I need to know how to make submerge teleportation.

If you say split the map in half and add the fog you did not explain anything.

Please post a map template of it below, so I can know how to make it.

Level 21
They did something like that in the Druid mission on where you go under ground with a water elemental and Wanders of Sorceria going underwater and trying to save the girl that's being possessed by the dragon in it.
Would be good to know on how they did it, and useful to know.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I'll post some pics of what I mean.

Level 11
You should start by reading this. I'm afraid I can't provide a template map, since I don't have Warcraft installed, but I'll try to explain.

First of all, what you need is to understand how fog works. There are a couple of tutorials in the "Tutorials" section that should help with that. You need to divide the areas of your map into submerged and emerged ones. After that, create a region for each of those areas, and set the fog of that region (you can do that if you edit the region's properties) according to the type of the area (for example, if you have a region in an underwater area, set the fog to something blue). After that, it's all a matter of placing the right doodads to create a realistic feeling.

I don't know if I made things a little bit clearer, so tell me if there is anything you don't understand.

Level 12
I know how to make underwater fog effect. AL0NE the creator of Water Wars- Submerged is unactive for years, thus making it clear that he quitted warcraft. Warlord Ajer'laroir that's a map on Hive? Never heard of that. Kercyn it is very unclear how I make the unit teleport to that underwater area when it's submerged. It looks like describing how to make a hologram. What would the regions be like? Half of the map? I don't understand how people can say to me that I have to copy doodads to other side, I know how to do that, but the terrain! I don't understand how does the terrain look on other side.

Level 11
Apparently you've misunderstood the term "submerged" (or I didn't understand well). No unit of Warcraft can be used underwater (as far as I know). I haven't played Water Wars - Submerged, so I don't know exactly how it looks like, but I assume that the creator has made 2 major regions -one underwater and one at sea level. As I said, I don't have Warcraft installed, so could you please post a screenshot or two of how it looks like?

ABM

ABM

Level 7
ok i will try to help you by explaining what i think they tried to tell you...
first of all i never played the map you mentionned so if what i say don't answer you question sorry about that...

First divide the map in 2 :
l...................................................l
l=============================l
l________________________________l

Try to divide in the center of the map because map in War3 work like this x,y coordinate
the center point = x0.y0 and then it go up x+1 and down x-1 left y-1 and right y+1

i don't have the map under my eye so you should check to be sure about wich on is up,left,right and down....
create a real variable X and a real variable Y
create a map with 1 unit under your control
create the trigger below (each time you type 1 as chat it will display the X,Y coordinate of where the unit is standing.)
  • LocationFinder
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing 1 as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set X = (X of (Position of (Picked unit)))
          • Set Y = (Y of (Position of (Picked unit)))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 5.00 seconds the text: ((Location (X = + (String(X))) + ( ) and ( Y = + ((String(Y)) + ))))
Upper part of Map will be submerged and lower part immerged
do the terraining as you like remembering that the upper part must correspond to the lower part, it is like two instance of the same map.... when completed separate both part by a black mask line.

Create a rect for top map and a rect for lower map

Now the interesting thing: (the teleport)

When an unit will use an ability for example "dive"
dummy ability based on any "no target" spell where you have desactivated all effect.

• LocationFinder
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set X = (X of (Position of (Triggering unit)))
      • Set Y = (Y of (Position of (Triggering unit)))
      • Set X2 = (-2000.00 + X)
      • Set Y2 = Y
      • Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Point(X2, Y2))
Where do this -2000 come from?
Well look
.............+2000 X
............________
............l...........l
-2000 Y l.....0.....l +2000 Y
............l_______l
............-2000 X
the 2000 is actually a random number and will need to be adapted to your map size

if unit is in X 1000 it means that it is 1000 away up to the 0
so in the lower map it needs to be 1000 away up the -2000
the Y reprensent the left and right so it doesn't change from upper and lower map

(IMPORTANT) i didn't had time to test wich is X and Y from the up, down, left and right
So test it yourself as i explained using the first trigger, create your map writting down the coordinate of four corner of your map, create the two area and put your doodads and fog effects, then create the ability wich will activate the submerge effect and teleport the unit to the correct location in the lower map...

Done
i hope it helped you... and that i did answer the correct question ^^

Level 11
He most probably wrote the code in the post, not in the Trigger editor. X and Y are points.

Level 11
Im pretty sure x and y are Real variables
And the actual value you set your x or y variable to is X of (location) or Y of (location), not Position of(unit)
Also, make sure you set location to a variable first so you can remove it when your done. If you dont do this it will leak and start to cause lag

ABM

ABM

Level 7
X, X2, Y and Y2 are real variable....
*integer don't work for x of position and y of position.
if you can't do it i will post a small map to display the trigger...
but i have no time right now.

Level 12
I have made the triggers. The naga unit I made for general is teleported to bottom of the map, when I click surface it does not surface. What are triggers for that, submerging. And you did not explain how to make them different, underwater and surface ambient.

Level 20
X and Y are coordinates. In World Editor when you place something you can see its X and Y (and Z) coordinates on the left bottom of the screen. X is mostly the width while Y is the height. Z is the "3d height" like cliffs.

When you are doing this submerge thing you need to have two areas in your map that are same sized. One area is on-water and other one is under-water. When you use submerge on-water you get the Hero's coordinates, X and Y things, and decrease the Y value by 1000 for an example, so the Hero would appear in your under-water on the right spot.

You decrease the Y because the under-water area is below your on-water area on your map editor. You have like... Two different zones, that pretend being same...

I really don't want to start doing paint and explain all this stuff... You really should know what are these X's and Ys...

ABM

ABM

Level 7
Listen man ^^
i am not a terrainer, i just do know a little about trigger...
about the fog effect and how to create an underwater terrain go look in the forum and tutorial... (click search "Tutorial Underwater Terrain") and surely one of the answer will show...

now about the teleportation i explained to you and it should be easy to understand...
use the trigger n°1
empty map with 1 unit owned by you
to measure your map coordinate....
once you know the X,Y coodinate of left border, top border, right border, down border...
write all on a piece of paper...
slip your map in the exact center X=0,Y=0 and draw a line using blackmask from left to right

then for teleportation from upper map to lower map
the Formula is X2= (X of unit + x of down border) and Y2= (Y of unit)
X,Y are the coordinate of unit
x is the limit border of down map (should be negative number)
X2Y2 is the new coordinate for moving the unit to.

if you want to go from down map to upper map
the Formula is X2= (X of unit + x of top border) and Y2= (Y of unit)

so for example if down border = -10000 the top border should be equal to +10000
if coordinate upper map equal to x(860) y(530)
the equivalent of lower map is x(860) + x(-10000)= x(-9140) y(530)
and when you are in lower map the x-9140 y530
will be equivalent to upper map x(-9140) + (10000)= x(860) y(530)

Now check that x raise when move up and lower when go down
and Y lower when go left and raise when go right (if it is not the case invert the x,y in the formula).

here is a demo map, it is badly made, but it give you an idea of what you need to do..

Well i hope it is clearer for you now

Attachments

• underwater.w3x
    25.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Level 12
I copied your triggers from your map, I setted them on my map. My unit controlled is naga royal guard. When the naga is on water and click submerge, it does not go where it should. It teleports to the center of the map, instead where it should. It always teleports to the center being near boundary (blackmask) that area in the middle I separated. It does not go where it should. And there's no returning back when I submerge, it goes to the center and then the icon does not turn to surface, but submerge. When I click submerge there, it says unable to submerge here. I did all triggers accordingly and something is not right. No surface option, naga appearing at center. You did a good map ABM and I setted triggers accdordingly to your map, suprisingly it only leads the naga to the center of the map. Why does naga go to the center? Help me.

I'm not sure, but the "fog" effect on only have of the map could be done with doodads.
Basically, you know how some models (like the glowing torch) light up the area around them? Well you can make a model that's just a blue light, and it'll make the area around it look more blue due to the source of blue light. Now pair that with some particle emitters (think the smoke model) that are edited to be very light and used just enough so that they create an eerie type fog and still not slow down the game and that may create the lighting for underwater.

On the other hand, it could be done by locally editing the fog - I'm not sure if this is possible (been a while since I've messed with like the lighting and environment triggers) but if you can edit the fog with triggers, what you could try is editing it locally on a single players game to change the fog on the entire map when they use dive, since they are only in the underwater section they won't see it in the rest of the map - and it will only affect the player's game that use the spell. But the problem with doing things locally is that if you do it wrong or mess with the wrong thing, you'll cause the players to desync from battle net.

Level 12
Ok, I can make doodads on the other side of the map, but terrain? How can you make the underwater area terrain. You can't copy manually, and I don't know how did the map Water War- Submerged had the underwater area as it should, cliffs accordingly positioned and that. I need cliffs to surround the underwater area.

Level 21
I'm just playing the Last Druid now and it kinda has a fog effect to it and ray of light to a map and get to sea the effect around the area.

ABM

ABM

Level 7
Animalpower
this map is just an example, you need to adapt it to your need...and to your map size.

also you can check you map size and coordinate just by moving your mouse around your map in the editor...
strangely the x,y was not in the middle the y had higher value in positive than negative, so i had to cut a part of lower map to make perfect halves.
i added a check to detect if the unit is in deep water to allow teleportation...this way when there are island the unit can't go underwater, but you can change to shallow water if you remove the "is pathing walkable false= false"
but other from that you have to use the formula i gave you and adapt it to your map.

to teleport up to down x=x2 y+(boundary limit)=y2
when you go down you put boundary limit of down and when go up the boundary limit of up.
Go luck :p

Level 11
Ok, I can make doodads on the other side of the map, but terrain? How can you make the underwater area terrain. You can't copy manually, and I don't know how did the map Water War- Submerged had the underwater area as it should, cliffs accordingly positioned and that. I need cliffs to surround the underwater area.

Then it's terraining help you need. Again, I will suggest that you read some of the terraining tutorials in Hive; that should be a good start. Other than that, experiment. Search the Hive for other terrainers' work and experiment some more. That's pretty much the only way you can learn how to terrain.

Level 12
I know to terrain, that was not my question about terrain, the question is you can't copy the terrain on the other side and yet in the water wars submerged there is defining cliffs in the same position of where it is on surface. I played warcraft 5 years and spent the most amount of time on terraining.

The teleport is not sending the unit where it should, the unit always teleports to the center of the map. I did the triggers for it, but it's not teleporting where it should.

Level 11
If the teleport is sending the unit to center of map, that probably means that you didnt properly define the location that you want the unit to be teleported to.
Like ABM said, you have to actually look at your triggers and adjust them so they move the unit to the correct location on your map.
If it still doesnt work, post the triggers here

Level 12
Trigger

Dive
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Summon Water Elemental
Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
(Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Naga Royal Guard
Then - Actions
If - Conditions
(Terrain pathing at (Position of (Triggering unit)) of type Walkability is off) Equal to True
(Terrain pathing at (Position of (Triggering unit)) of type Floatability is off) Equal to False
Then - Actions
Set X = (X of (Position of (Triggering unit)))
Set Y = ((Y of (Position of (Triggering unit))) + -3100.00)
Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Point(X, Y))
Wait 0.10 seconds
Camera - Apply Underwater <gen> for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to (Position of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
Unit - Add Chaos (Underwater) to (Triggering unit)
Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 500.00, z-end 8000.00, density 20.00 and color (20.00%, 40.00%, 100.00%)
Else - Actions
Else - Actions
If - Conditions
(Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Naga Siren
Then - Actions
Set X = (X of (Position of (Triggering unit)))
Set Y = ((Y of (Position of (Triggering unit))) + 3100.00)
Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Point(X, Y))
Wait 0.10 seconds
Camera - Apply Surface <gen> for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to (Position of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
Unit - Add Chaos (Surface) to (Triggering unit)
Environment - Reset fog to default values
Else - Actions

ABM

ABM

Level 7
  • Dive
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Summon Water Elemental
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Naga Royal Guard
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Terrain pathing at (Position of (Triggering unit)) of type Walkability is off) Equal to True
              • (Terrain pathing at (Position of (Triggering unit)) of type Floatability is off) Equal to False
            • Then - Actions
              • Set Y = ((Y of (Position of (Triggering unit))) + -3100.00)
              • Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Point(X, Y))
              • Wait 0.10 seconds
              • Camera - Apply Underwater <gen> for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
              • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to (Position of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
              • Unit - Add Chaos (Underwater) to (Triggering unit)
              • Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 500.00, z-end 8000.00, density 20.00 and color (20.00%, 40.00%, 100.00%)
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Naga Siren
            • Then - Actions
              • Set Y = ((Y of (Position of (Triggering unit))) + 3100.00)
              • Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Point(X, Y))
              • Wait 0.10 seconds
              • Camera - Apply Surface <gen> for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
              • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to (Position of (Triggering unit)) over 0.00 seconds
              • Unit - Add Chaos (Surface) to (Triggering unit)
              • Environment - Reset fog to default values
            • Else - Actions[/QUOTE]
First try to use correctly the trigger tag :p

second explain in detail what you tried to do with your trigger step by step:
you check pathing meaning the upper map can be teleported only at certain pathing type...
you add chaos meaning that the upper map unit will be changed to a different unit when teleported to lower map

third listen to people advice:
you added and substracted 3100, but do you have any ideas of your map boundary, what size of your map, when you put your mouse to top screen border what number are shown (xxxx,yyyy)
you just copy pasted my trigger whithout thinking if you need this or that part and if you need or not to change value....
also did you check that the middle of your map (where you cutted it) is really the real middle of your map? and if it is, did you check that this middle value is really 0,0 especially y=0 since your using up/down system...

Level 12
What can I change in trigger? I don't understand why the unit always teleports to the center of the map. And without that trigger it also teleported in the center, with your first trigger you posted. I did changed some features on the Dive trigger, do you think I have to change it?

I copied, and used accordingly your first trigger, it teleported the unit exactly to the center.

ABM

ABM

Level 7
If i had time i would ask you to send me the map so i would correct the trigger directly to adapt them....
but i really don't have time for that...
so try to find someone who can do that for you.
good luck

Level 20
1. Remove the Teleport trigger.

2. Condition in the trigger Dive never happens because your unit doesnt have Summon Water Elemental.

3. Remove this from the Dive trigger
  • (Terrain pathing at (Position of (Triggering unit)) of type Walkability is off) Equal to True
Now you can succesfully dive into the underdepths but it goes to the wrong position because -3100 is not enough high real to match the correct underwater spot. The un-dive got the same idea but it just moves the unit +3100 up instead of down.

Apparentely you have no idea what you are doing. And no, I am not going to make the system for you. Hiveworkshop has maybe friendly and helpful community but everybody in here are too lazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.