• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

undeadorcjerk's Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Well I'm new to terraining and I need constructive critizism as I terrain.

I will put them in order of which I made them.

River View:
terrainshow.jpg

Desolate Planet:
terrain2.jpg

Bright Swamp:
terrain3.jpg

Empty City:
terrain4.jpg

This next one was just a test, its Waterfall without Waterfall Doodads:
terrian6.jpg

Frozen Wastelands:
terrain7.jpg

Ruins Corridor:
terrain8.jpg

Felwood Forest:
terrain5.jpg

River Side(part of a project):
terrain9.jpg

Ashenvale Forest:
terrain10.jpg

Volcano:
terrain11.jpg

Forest of Decay: Newish
terrain12-1.jpg

Waterfall Delta: New
terrain14.jpg

Last edited:
Level 5
K here goes,

Pic 1: Trees are too small and more height variation needed, theres no Sky, too many cattails and the river is empty near the middle. Texture variations is fine.

Pic 2: A little fog would be nice and its a bit too plain.

Pic 3: Cattails ruin it near the end, some fog would be nice, and smooth the edges of the river they are way too jagged, try using trees from the Ultimate Terraining Map as well.

Pic 4: Try not to take pics too close to the edge of the map, it looks ugly, other than that its a pretty basic picture.

Pic 5: Its an experiment.. can't really comment it, except for the fact its a bit too jagged.

Pic 6: Its too plain, needs more doodads.

Pic 7: Its pretty basic, doesn't look too bad though, you should really use some fog.

Pic 8: Its ok, nothing too special, fog would help, yes, I'm saying fog a lot.

Pic 9: Too plain, and mass of cattails ruin things, try placing random shrubs, or a rock with some shrubs around it, also more tree height variation.

Pic 10: This is probably your best so far, the cliff on the left is too jagged and you used a tad too many viney plants. Use of fog woo!

Pic 11: Can't really comment it, looks like a volcano top though.

That's enough with my comments, you mainly need to focus on:
1. Use of fog
2. Tree height variation
3. A big thing with little things around it, ex. Tree with a rock and some shrubs.
4. Less cattails more of other doodads.

Level 25
The "River View" image is very simple, but the tile variation is pretty good I'll admit. However, the cattail things in the water looks really dumb since there's a bunch in one corner, but no where else. Place River Rushes and Shrubs more! But remember tint the color of River Rushes. ;)

The Ashenvale Forest is pretty good as well. But I don't think the fog goes too well with the tileset and doodads. Doodads seem cluttered a bit as well.

The rest are either too simple, too plain, or just tiles and hills pretty much.

[Handy Hint]:
NEVER take a screenshot of your terrain showing the corners of the map and where the terrain ends. It's a super -.

Level 8
IMO your ashenvale and decaying forest are the best, and I love the atmosphere in the decaying forest. I think you could do with altering the tinting on some doodads in a couple of your screens however, as they stand out a bit and look too bright. Your tile variation confuses me however, in some of your terrain, it is pretty good, but then in others, it's not! Try and avoid the big blockiness that you have in your last especially, and try and blend tiles into one another. You do that quite well in the first one. Also consider not using Lordaeron Summer tileset! Anyway, it looks as though your skills are definately improving though, keep it up!

1. Empty with not that much variation and there is no sky or weather/fog effects.

2. It looks nice but it needs fog and more variations and doodads to spice it up.

3. It is too bumpy and doesn't blend all that well. Try to add some fog.

4. It looks flat and it looks empty. It also looks like it is the edge of the world. :D

5. The waterfall looks awkward and it looks empty in the background.

6. I like the tiles but the cliffs look ugly and the terrain is empty + flat.

7. I like this one but it is flat, needs some more doodads, and it has a dirt path in the background which needs variation.

8. This one looks nice, especially the dragon but it needs more doodads, fog, and a better sky.

9. Agian, I like the models but this one is flat and doesn't have much of a variation with not many doodads.

10. I like this one almost the most out your terrain because it has fog, weather effects, and vatiation. It looks like you overflowed it with the doodads though and it looks kind of bumpy.

11. This one looks plain, but alright. Maybe you could add some lava or some rocks or other doodads along with smoke or fire and fog.

12. This is my favorite one. It has awesome doodads, a nice amount of doodads, variation, fog, and a dirty swamp color. Awesome! It just needs a couple of more doodads.

13. I like it but it needs more tile variation along with more doodads and raised ground.

Good job overall! +rep

Level 6
The most screen lack textures and doodads, or people that look like doodads.
It is just empty in some pics or looks rather boring.
But i also say nice work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.