• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

UI improvements for the control of big armies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I love warcraft 3 and it’s focus on micro and precise control of fewer units (compared to other RTS).
However i recently started playing war3 again and one thing is bothering me quite a bit.
In war3 we can’t select more than 12 units at once, meaning we can only reliably give orders to 12 units at a time.

While this is fine for most situations, sometimes it feels very restrictive and outdated when controlling a huge army by using 1-9 key groups.
I really like how unit selection is done in Starcraft 2 – you can have up to 200 units selected at once to order them, and it is all in “tabs” that are easily viewable.

I do not mind seeing only 12 selected units at once as it is a big part of warcraft 3’s micro, but perhaps we could be allowed to “tab” though bigger selected armies just like in starcraft 2.
This would make ordering large armies a lot easier, as an alternative to constantly using control groups 1-9 to repeat the same identical order (usually attack move) to all armies.

Also a button like “select all your military units on the map” (similar to SC2) would truly be awesome, to allow us to instantly select and give orders to our entire army at once (without having to repeat the order X times to all X CTRL squads).
It would also help in selecting newly made units and giving them orders or to include them in existing control groups.

I hope blizzard considers updating the army selection/order part of War3’s UI in the upcoming patches.

Of course the above changes would be optional, you would not be forced to use them (same like in SC2).

Level 6
I do not agree.

This is one of the difficulties the game itself has. It is not a bug and it is not about being outdated. If you wanna play w3 at top level, you better deal with these problems yourself.

That's my opinion.

Level 6
Increasing size of control groups is always a good thing in my books. The 12 unit limit is just annoying.
It should be a toggleable option, so those that like the skill cap can keep it if they want.

I am glad you agree :)
Warcraft 3 is a very micro intensive game and that would not change by allowing more units to be selected at once.

It would be very helpful in situations like:

1. You got a big army split into 5 control groups (for micro), instead of giving the same attack-move order 5 times you could just select ALL the troops and order them once.

2. If there was a "select all military units" button like in SC2, you could quickly add newly made units to your control groups for micro - or you could easily find some straggler units that got lost and forgotten somewhere on a big map.

Level 14
I'm not a fan of SC2's troops selection system but improving WC3's unit selection system would be appreciated by having more than 12 units selection.

What I thought myself is selecting multiple units would need to be ordered properly like strongest to weakest(Heroes to Critters).
It's all up to Blizzard whether they decides to improve it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.