• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

U-turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
You may try experimenting with the native SetUnitPropWindow. I think it was the user Waterknight, that found out that setting this to 0 disables unit movement speed, and I guess, maybe setting to a very low number like 5 may require the unit to be only able to turn in very large circles.
However, this is just a wild guess ...

Level 11
Doesn't changing the "Turn rate" do that? Have you tried changing its value

Yes, I have messed with it and while it works somewhat fine while moving forward, the unit stops/shakes in the struggle to make a big turn around. Could work with some triggers to take advantage of this though.

You may try experimenting with the native SetUnitPropWindow...

I'll take a look.

I wonder if there is an efficient way to force the unit move forward by periodically moving invisible units blocking its rear/sides.

Level 14
I wonder if there is an efficient way to force the unit move forward by periodically moving invisible units blocking its rear/sides.
you mean placing an invisible dummy turn? you may calculate where the turn should be and then place the units and after some delay, remove them. This would probably work ... sounds a bit like a crazy approach :) Unfortunately it also would block other units. If it is possible to create invisible units locally without desyncing the game, it would be possible though.

Level 4
Yes, I have messed with it and while it works somewhat fine while moving forward, the unit stops/shakes in the struggle to make a big turn around. Could work with some triggers to take advantage of this though.

I'll take a look.

You can simulate something like that by setting the XY of a unit. If you constantly move the unit's XY towards the direction theyre facing (move them infront of themslves at small time intervals) then even while they're in place turning, they will still be advancing and therefore can never really turn in place. Now, this may not be useful to what you're trying to implement by itself, but if you can track when the unit is supposed to be moving, and only during that time move it infront of itself, (youll have to experiment with different base movement speeds + your implemented movement speed to get the wanted effect), then you have something very satsfactory.

I used the system in a helicopter map, and it made it so the helicopters would always have to make more or less large arcs depending on how high i set the triggered XY-movement, i think thats what you want, though i had them always move infront of themselves (since that was the design of my game), so not really sure how to efficiently catch when a unit starts/stops movements, maybe track orders for the unit, but idk if the unit even receives a stop order when it's stunned, and tracking slows can be annoying aswell. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.