• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tyr's Apprentice v1.5

Details
Tyr's Apprentice

v1.5

front2o.png

Introduction

This is 60+ minutes gameplay long 3RD person point of view RPG in which you may take a role of nordic warrior and dive into adventures of searching evil sorcerer, who is determinded to start the war among scandinavians. Map contains unique fighting system, cinematics got voice recordings included, 32 custom items, many secret places and hidden items all over the map, bigger part realistic spells, great atmospheric music.

Story

Tyr, the god of combat in the mythology of norse, has sent an apprentice of his own to cleanse the land from an evil sorcerer. The prophecy of Tyr says: Strong and brave warrior shall stand against all-destroying magic and bring an end to calamitious times. Einarr the apprentice is determinded to achieve his goal by preventing slaughters across the norse, but will he succeed?

front1g.png

Credits
The Hiveworkshop Models / Icons:

Kitabatake
DerReaper2
Sunchips
chilla_killa
ikillforeyou
CRAZYRUSSIAN
antihero
AbstractCreativity
Palaslayer
lelyanra
HappyTauren
SkriK
viiva
Mobilize
GooS
-Berz-
Forgotten_Warlord
Skipper
perfjert
ZIR
eubz
-SkatinG_CoW-
EvilCrizpy
JetFangInferno
Vermillion Edict
inhuman89
!!GORO!!
NFWar
Mr.Goblin
PeeKay
Amigurumi
Thrikodius
PrMosquito
kola
BlackRockClan
Devine
KelThuzad
Horn
Gottfrei
Dionesiist
Deolrin
Draknyte1
Chriz.
Kuhneghetz
darkdeathknight
Chaosfury
Tranquil
wojia10502
GreyArchon
Pyramidhe@d
paladinjst
ratamahatta
DonDustin
Daelin
Marcos DAB
-=Emergenzy=-
Sellenisko
hellblazer-14
-Grendel
Weep
Pyritie

UI Icy:
CRAZYRUSSIAN

Special thanks to:
eubz for his snowy grass model made by request
Spartipilo for the loading screen he made
MassiveMaster for jass-like camera system improvements

Knockback System:
Paladon

Charge System:
Zanekok & Pharaoh_

Music:
Loki - Heroes of Mythology

Sounds:
From all over the internet

Voice:
by APproject
Screenshot 1.
44713874.png

Screenshot 2.
80875029.png

Screenshot 3.
10455077.png

Screenshot 4.
54045690.png

Screenshot 5.
10777410.png

Screenshot 6.
66999985.png

Screenshot 7.
32287854.png

Screenshot 8.
22162826.png
v1.1

Credits correction
Typo corrections
Number of crystal spiders have been slightly reduced
Koltrund and Wolf have their damage reduced
Some of items now may be sold
Training got its price increased
Demolisher got its collision size increased
Fog in the labyrinth is now more thick
Weather effect have been added

v1.2

Camera system have been improved and modified into Jass script by MassiveMaster
Weather effect fix

v1.3

Icy console borders have been imported

v1.4

Trigger Editor was cleared of unnecessary triggers
Crystal Spider have its damage and level increased
NPCs now may talk instead of playing Quest Log sound
Fixed some trigger errors
Mountain Protector have its damage increased

v1.5

Cinematic skip issue while playing have been fixed
Quest Cave Beasts quest have been slightly improved
Some transmissions have been sligthty changed to better

Keywords:
Tyr, Tyrs, Tyr's, Apprentice, RPG, 3rd, person, view, norse, mythology, blue, winter, icecrown, harsh, approject, viking, scandinavia, warrior, combat
Contents

Tyr's Apprentice v1.5 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael: Private Message Date: 2011/Nov/12 01:07:01 Reasons: Other: Check out the models section for custom models made by the community: Models Section Check out the skins section for custom skins made by the community: Skins Section...
Level 1
:vw_love: Thanks, man. U've made my day. In China I rarely play such maps this good. Sorry for them who cant read English.:wink:
Expecting more of yours.

Map is really good, 5/5 from me as well.
But I must point few things:

• Camera rotation should be smoother.
  • Background music is horror like, really intense.
  • Attack idea to hide attack damage is really bad. I suggest showing same but make unit able to attack only air for example, there are ways to detect unit damage any time, you can use that to deal damage, also attack ability icon can be hidden SHOW UI = false.
  • All town units are more or less same use random trigger loop to do next:
    - Set color (red: 80% - 100%, blue: 80% - 100%, green: 80% - 100%)
    - Change size to 80% - 120%
  • Also you can attach some models to units and create guards, village chieftain, shaman or whatever those Norse people had.
  • Add damage show/ability show system (make it that way so user choose will he turn it on/off).
  • Defeat on hero dead is really bad idea. Maybe you can mention that somewhere so player save offten, or you can create save points and then save hero items, stats, exp, gold etc, if he die just load this, when you reach new save loc, overwrite old values with new, make game unique.
  • Quests should use quest items.
I won't comment terrain, but you should use smooth tool often.
Also that animated ice grass is so out of place :)

Level 31
Map is really good, 5/5 from me as well.
But I must point few things:

• Camera rotation should be smoother.
  • Background music is horror like, really intense.
  • Attack idea to hide attack damage is really bad. I suggest showing same but make unit able to attack only air for example, there are ways to detect unit damage any time, you can use that to deal damage, also attack ability icon can be hidden SHOW UI = false.
  • All town units are more or less same use random trigger loop to do next:
    - Set color (red: 80% - 100%, blue: 80% - 100%, green: 80% - 100%)
    - Change size to 80% - 120%
  • Also you can attach some models to units and create guards, village chieftain, shaman or whatever those Norse people had.
  • Add damage show/ability show system (make it that way so user choose will he turn it on/off).
  • Defeat on hero dead is really bad idea. Maybe you can mention that somewhere so player save offten, or you can create save points and then save hero items, stats, exp, gold etc, if he die just load this, when you reach new save loc, overwrite old values with new, make game unique.
  • Quests should use quest items.
I won't comment terrain, but you should use smooth tool often.
Also that animated ice grass is so out of place :)

Thanks for kind words and of course for the rating!

Hmm, camera used to be smooth, but then there were some problems with ground heights, camera was going into textures, cuz system was made with GUI, now it is JASS. Perhaps it could be smoother just to add a slightly better feeling, but personally I find this acceptable! :psmile:

What's wrong with music? It's rather nordic I would say. Well at some points it reminds old-school horror movies, but I cannot replace it due to that awesome whistle in the track!

That's some good ideas about attack system, but it is way too difficult for me, not sure if I can handle it. I try to avoid these systems as much as I can, perhaps because I don't really see it reliable, even though it is.

Good idea of adjusting villagers. I may try that one!

There are such guardians and chieftain, but in the warpost, perhaps you haven't reached that one yet. But the starting Village is just a village, without forces, simple people livin' in it.

Hmm, too difficult task for me on those auto-saves, perhaps a notification to save often will do.

What do you mean? If you mean the grass was set randomly, yes, it was, hehe. Well if it would be spammed or carefully set to give a realistic grass looking, a ton of doodads would be required, plus screen would lag. I think less doodads just gives the confort of the game and that real nordic - snowy view.

Thank you for ideas and review itself.

Hmm, camera used to be smooth, but then there were some problems with ground heights, camera was going into textures, cuz system was made with GUI, now it is JASS. Perhaps it could be smoother just to add a slightly better feeling, but personally I find this acceptable!
Slow it a little, this way facing angle change instantly :)

What's wrong with music? It's rather nordic I would say. Well at some points it reminds old-school horror movies, but I cannot replace it due to that awesome whistle in the track!
Dunno it's somehow scary to me, maybe you can use it in dungeons.
That's some good ideas about attack system, but it is way too difficult for me, not sure if I can handle it. I try to avoid these systems as much as I can, perhaps because I don't really see it reliable, even though it is.
I have old tutorial about this somewhere, I will update it with vJass and new cool stuff.
Maybe will that help you later.
Good idea of adjusting villagers. I may try that one!

There are such guardians and chieftain, but in the warpost, perhaps you haven't reached that one yet. But the starting Village is just a village, without forces, simple people livin' in it.
Oket, I'm glad that you like it.
Now when I think about it add more objects like boxes (barrels, stash, tree hollow...)
Add cows, dogs, more all around village creatures, add small market with food (fish, chicken, meat...).

But maybe you already added this, I was killed by some wolf when I left village ^_^
Hmm, too difficult task for me on those auto-saves, perhaps a notification to save often will do.
Yeap notifications can do :)
What do you mean? If you mean the grass was set randomly, yes, it was, hehe. Well if it would be spammed or carefully set to give a realistic grass looking, a ton of doodads would be required, plus screen would lag. I think less doodads just gives the confort of the game and that real nordic - snowy view.
It's just to much blue and white, I suggest basic shrub model with some edited snow like texture. Also use rocks, snow rock, a lot of them, in all variations.

You created 1st person map, details are everything.

Level 2
The map looks interesting and you've certainly gotten a few high rating reviews... but I find it unplayable.

Why? The camera.
If you feel the need to mess around with view settings please create something better, not worse. At the very least give players the ability revert to standard view.

Until the camera/viewdistance is changed: 1/5

Level 31
It's just to much blue and white, I suggest basic shrub model with some edited snow like texture.

You created 1st person map, details are everything.

It was really difficult to have a custom model done. And personally I do not think basic shrub with some snow will do due to its greeness. It is norse, there are always winter, no summer, green life is extremely rare there and big green bushes with some snow may confuse a bit. That's just what I think. I'm planning to add difficulty system after some time, perhaps I shall pour more effort into looks, trying to avoid screen lag, hehe.

is dis single player?

Yes.

The map looks interesting and you've certainly gotten a few high rating reviews... but I find it unplayable.

Why? The camera.
If you feel the need to mess around with view settings please create something better, not worse. At the very least give players the ability revert to standard view.

Until the camera/viewdistance is changed: 1/5

Well, dear sir, camera view is not going to be changed. Basically your *review* if we can call it like that, is a typical downrate of a resource without a proper reason. It is pretty much the same situation like for example: I review this AoS map and I rate it 1/5 because it is AoS and I don't like it.

It is pretty much playable, you just don't like it because it is different and it has some good reviews. You cannot rate resource by 1/5 only because you didn't like it, you rate resource by examining all kind of aspects of a game. Two moderators rated it 5/6 and it is a perfect prove that game is playable with this camera system.

If your reasons to downrate would be proper, then I certainly would look at it. Now change / remove your rating by reviewing fully or I'll have to report your post.

Level 5
there should be a command to zoom to what degree on the camera because while i was playing i accidentally scrolled up my mouse then the camera zoomed to my character blocking my view and it became hard to move, fight and find quest or non quest characters

Level 4
9/10 I personally love nordic climates. In my opinion, one of the greatest maps in here.
Can somebody recommend me another map like this? I mean, rpg-like (single player) scenario with interesting movement ideas and great, ambient music? [only two tracks, I know :D]

/e: +rep, of course.

Level 31
This map looks so cool, should give it a try.
Hope you won't be sorry, hehe.
9/10 I personally love nordic climates. In my opinion, one of the greatest maps in here.
Can somebody recommend me another map like this? I mean, rpg-like (single player) scenario with interesting movement ideas and great, ambient music? [only two tracks, I know :D]

/e: +rep, of course.
Thank you for your kind words.
This map is kinda big, I don't know if my crap PC can handle it :)
Why don't you give it a shot? I tried not to overload environment with objects so as to avoid lag, but cannot guarantee it'll work for sure.

Level 2
There is a person called Koltrund , he is really bad XD but he is even harder than the angry old man . All you have to do is block his damage , also you need to find a good time to slash koltrund.He is very strong.

Level 2
Frustrating Camera system

Don't like how you locked the camera angle but not the distance....so if you even accidentally move the mousewheel it zooms in like 3x as far and becomes practically unmanageable. You can unlock the camera and sometimes that helps but often it makes it worse since there's either so much you can't see or it'll see-through the terrain into a vast sea of emptiness underneathe.:sad:

Love the parry ability with sword---excellent idea (although not very useful vs multiple enemies) but invaluable in 1vs1 combat.:infl_thumbs_up:

Great adventure short-role playing game for those who love to embark custom-mythological tale based on the Nordic legends.

I have several suggestion that could improve the game-play and visuals:
First of all you should build a camera zoom-in and out function via arrow keys, abilities or automatic events. Rotating the camera would also improve how the players choose to see the atmosphere.

Second, you should remove mouse clicking confirmation effect, it is too large and I can already see that it would look much more realistic without the green arrows every-time you click on a certain point to move. It also becomes annoying during certain times with such a camera perspective. The nearby NPC's should help you out in killing those pesky wolfs that attack you, they just stand there like some dummies with you being attacked in-front of them- certainly a good allies... (sarcasm).

Third but not least is to improve the visuals and terrain, the sky-box looks very bad in Warcraft 3, I suggest you to use a custom one like the sky-box resources I uploaded. Terrain distance view can be maxed out, right now it is still small. The grass looks honestly awful, it doesn't fit with the tile-set. You should use custom light environment, additive layer models and custom light sources such as omni lights. You will find tons of advise from tobyfat50, he is a great expert and good visual art adept at various techniques at making it look pretty as close as modern games.

Rating: 4/5(Current)

Level 9
I like the atmosphere of the the map, but tellyou the true, quests are little boring and similar to other games like this, go there kill the chiken bring me the map .... thats little annoying, when you read the description of the map you dont immagine that you will pursuit the chiken ....

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
-the hero's name practically means he is dead :D
-whaaa!? He doesn't trust the hero, is very hungry and lost his chicken and will trust him if the hero gets the chicken and kills it!?
-punching chickens :D
-he ate the chicken, raw?
-how about 100% HP after fighting the old man?
-OK, so now when you get out of the village a wolf comes directly to you; that didn't happen before getting the quest
-I suggest putting the punch to W too avoid adapting later to strike with W and block with Q
-vilkolakis are not really part of Norse mythology are they? Ulfheoinn were basically men with wolf pelts on them; still didin't get much on varulfur...
-another trick? Should've sold the goods instead of giving them back? I gots meself no reward
-floating rocks somewhere behind Oghard's house; not quite near it
-if the wolf near the wooden walls is attacked, an archer will start shooting at it
-Lion's Spirit; hmm... Norse lion?
-some villagers do not go into hiding and wait somwhere near the gate while it is attacked
-you can barely run from a battle because of the camera; you're selecting the enemy units and the hero returns.. that's a lame strategy to just stand there
-the tents can barely be touched when fighting the three men that come out of them is not done quickly and other three may appear; do not fight them alone
-can't use Fearceful Charge on a tent but can throw a knife?
-why are the left front allies going there if there's no tent anymore instead of helping the right side?
-let us rotate the camera; I can't see through trees...
-why were there vrykolakas near the rune after exiting the crystal domain?
-the crystal guardian is no challenge
-I suggest movement speed set to slow after getting the mountain's gift
-I guess the ritual related optional quest can't be done anymore if the gift is taken and the chieftain tells you to return to the mountain
-how are you supposed to defeat 6-8 skeletons without running a bit?
-and if he freezes you.. that's it; can only hit him with the blue icon spell (from the mountain)
-I can fend the skeletons off until he starts to ice me once in 10-20 secs; tried keeping the distance too but then you can't just run from the skeletons that spawn without being hit by them; they walk faster than the hero
-yeah, call me Captain Complaint

3.25/5

Last edited: