• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Development] Two Java Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well a very famous hiver( @pyf ) suggested I upload these two games I created.

I don't have much to say about them since they were both created by someone else before me, I just recreated them for my own use and for the entertainment. I hope you equally enjoy them and maybe come back here to discuss what you thought about them?

A little about the programs(followed by link);

Brain Washing Program:
The Brain washing program was created after I saw a study that proved after daily exercises of finding a happy face among sad faces, people became happier. They conducted this experiment on retired pensioners of age 60 and up to see if it extended their life span and their well being/happiness, and it did :)
Brain Washing Program | HIVE

The Einsteinpuzzle
This puzzle, sometimes also called the flashlight puzzle, can be solved infinitely with the difficulty increasing each time the puzzle is solved. It was presented to Einstein as a public challenge to see how many times he could complete it in 1 hour. He managed to completed it 34 times with that hour, in front of a captivated audience. I've only ever been able to complete it 6 times... well I guess I'm no genius :D The most times any of my friends have ever completed it is 9 times(they swear it isn't infinite :)).
EinstienPuzzle | HIVE

Both these programs will need java to run, the Einsteinpuzzle needs to be renamed to a jar file, at the time when I uploaded it the Hive was rejecting all jar files.

Good luck with the games, I hope they bring you luck happiness and brain power :D

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Both these programs will need java to run
Specifically what version of Java? Does it run on old Java 8? Does it need the current Java 9? Or does it need the beta Java 10? A lot of people have Have Java 8 but fewer have Java 9 and only cutting edge developers are using Java 10.
the Einsteinpuzzle needs to be renamed to a jar file, at the time when I uploaded it the Hive was rejecting all jar files.
Place the jar inside a zip. A bit redundant but that is how I get around it.

Last edited:
Level 19
Something tells me you did not write them... Because if you did you would give much more information about what is needed to run them than just "need java to run".

Specifically what version of Java? Does it run on old Java 8? Does it need the current Java 9? Or does it need the beta Java 10? A lot of people have Have Java 8 but fewer have Java 9 and only cutting edge developers are using Java 10.
these are pretty basic programs

they should run on most java versions. if they don't java will give you an update message

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Specifically what version of Java? Does it run on old Java 8? Does it need the current Java 9? Or does it need the beta Java 10? A lot of people have Have Java 8 but fewer have Java 9 and only cutting edge developers are using Java 10. [...]
It can run on good old Java 8. No idea why you are asking the question, btw...

Java downloads are to be found here:
Java SE - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle

End-users only require the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Also, there is imho no reason for them to install any version prior to version 8.

I personally install the PSU versions:
Java CPU and PSU Releases Explained

For the record, the last Java 8 version installable on Windows XP is currently version 8u151 (CPU) / 8u152 (PSU). But do note that Java 8u161 (CPU) / 8u162 (PSU) can yet be installed on XP anyway, by using a few workarounds.

As of this writing, the current baseline-security (CPU) versions of Java prior to version 9 should be:
- for Java 8: 1.8.0_161-b12
- for Java 7: 1.7.0_171-b11 (available through paid support)
- for Java 6: 1.6.0_181-b10 (available through paid support)

Java™ SE Development Kit 8, Update 161 Release Notes

Something tells me you did not write them... [...]
Could this something have a name, by chance?
:grin:

Well a very famous hiver( @pyf ) suggested I upload these two games I created. [...]

:mwahaha:

what-i-do-have-is-a-very-particular-brand-of-overzealous-bigotry_wm.JPG

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
End-users only require the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Also, there is imho no reason for them to install any version prior to version 8.
Except the latest release is Java 9, and in a few months Java 10. And before 2019 a Java 11.

Since each major Java version can change language features, they can break stuff. Equally well people might be stuck using a very old version of Java for some reason or another.

The fact remains that for system requirements you should always mention the Java version the application targeted. Just saying "need Java to run" is the sort of thing a user would say.

This also applies to applications that use MSVC runtimes as those need to be explicitly installed for that the application uses, although it appears Windows 10 does try to automatically download them as required now.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
When I am writing that there is no reason for end-users to install any version prior to version 8, I mean there is no reason for them to install Java 7 nor any other lower version.

From Java 6 onwards, each major Java version available currently has an up to date latest build, as of January 2018.

It should be possible to use more than one major Java version on a single computer. It is also possible for any developer to ship any specific version of Java with his/her program, and to make said program use this specific bundled version of Java. As an example, this is what the developer of Serviio does.

If one had to precisely mention which version of any middleware to install, then one would also mention the build version number to install. The problem is, end-users do not care and would rather die than follow any advice related to installing any kind of middleware. Therefore, a sentence like "needs Java to run" is unfortunately appropriate for end-users to understand (sort of). Based on true stories.

[...] Since each major Java version can change language features, they can break stuff. Equally well people might be stuck using a very old version of Java for some reason or another. [...]
Now please can you tell us what kind of issues you have with running the Java game(s)?
Do you need tech support?
:wink:

Please do not forget to mention which version(s) of Java you have installed.
And please do not forget to mention which build versions you are using. It could be important for any eventual troubleshooting.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Now please can you tell us what kind of issues you have with running the Java game(s)?
I did not bother running them. Not my sort of thing. Was just pointing out the lack of useful system requirements.
Do you need tech support?
No. Do you?
Please do not forget to mention which version(s) of Java you have installed.
Java 9 currently. Moving to Java 10 in a few month after it exits early access development builds and is released.

I had to uninstall Java 8 as it was causing my Eclipse ID a huge Java 9 compatibility problem. Not really a problem with Java 8 but rather that Eclipse Java 9 support is kind of broken ATM. Usually I uninstall them 1-2 years after the release, or even let Java self destruct them as they are programmed to for security reasons.
And please do not forget to mention which build versions you are using.
As far as I am aware Java 9 only really has 1 release build. There might be some hot fixes but it seems that Sun/Oracle are not pulling a Java 8 and releasing 90 different builds this time and instead are pushing towards Java 10. Apparently Java was stagnating too much so they are releasing new major versions of Java twice a year now, starting with Java 9. This is also reflected in how they changed the Java version string from Java 1.8.X to Java 9.X and soon Java 10.X.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
A lot of people have Have Java 8 but fewer have Java 9 and only cutting edge developers are using Java 10.
[...] Was just pointing out the lack of useful system requirements.
Since Java 9 is not very widespread yet (and Java 10 even less), then is it not safe to assume that the games target Java 8, which has been around since years?

No. Do you?
Me neither. Thanks for asking.
:smile:

Should I need help, I can also find some at the MSFN forums, as well as at many other places as well. Or I can find out the solution by myself (sometimes).

[I am using] Java 9 currently. Moving to Java 10 in a few month after it exits early access development builds and is released.
Since each major Java version can change language features, they can break stuff.
I did not bother running them. Not my sort of thing. [...]
What makes you believe the Java game(s) could be broken on Java 9, since you say you did not even bother running them?

As far as I am aware Java 9 only really has 1 release build.
... which is?

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@pyf

Did you ever try out the Einstein Puzzle?

I would like to know what level you reach. [...]
Not yet, because I have uninstalled Java 8 some time ago.

This would be classified information.

I did not bother running them. Not my sort of thing. Was just pointing out the lack of useful system requirements.
What makes you believe the Java game(s) could be broken on Java 9, since you say you did not even bother running them?
So, has anyone here tried to run the games on any Java version other than version 8, in order to help provide useful system requirements?
... and if yes, then please do not forget to mention on which build.

As far as I am aware Java 9 only really has 1 release build. [...]
Raising awareness about the public releases of Java 9:
Java Development Kit 9 Update Release Notes

Additional info:
JDK 9 Release Documents

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Since each major Java version can change language features, they can break stuff. Equally well people might be stuck using a very old version of Java for some reason or another.

The fact remains that for system requirements you should always mention the Java version the application targeted. Just saying "need Java to run" is the sort of thing a user would say. [...]
[...] Moving to Java 10 in a few month after it exits early access development builds and is released.

I had to uninstall Java 8 as it was causing my Eclipse ID a huge Java 9 compatibility problem. Not really a problem with Java 8 but rather that Eclipse Java 9 support is kind of broken ATM. [...]

For Java 9:
- Removed APIs, Features, and Options
- Deprecated APIs, Features, and Options

For Java 10:
- Removed Features and Options - JDK 10 Release Notes
- Deprecated Features and Options - JDK 10 Release Notes

[...] I believe you times your level by 5 to reach your iq score. Einstein had a level of 34 and an IQ of 160
34 x 5 ?= 160

Status
Not open for further replies.