• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

TURN-BASED STRATEGY GAME (Azeroth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
ok, i had another idea: I play a lot of Total war games, and i thought: why not to construct a t-b strategy , with real-time battles, like medieval or rome t.w. in warcraft?

Some ideas:

-The campaign map is Azeroth (or something else)
-in every battle that is played real-time the game goes to another map (game cache)
-each city is represented by a small building
-units have a limited space to move in each round

but i dont know any system in warcraft to make the gameplay with rounds etc, its only an idea...

Level 18
It would be easy creating a system like that, but you need more then a idea. You need a complete think out of the races and everything. Try learning the triggers a bit more it is not all so hard. And please edit your topic removing the CAPS on the headline as it isn't cool :/

Try terraining a map like this, think in HOMM.

Level 4
well, i know some triggering, but how could it be possible to make an army have a limited space to go?

Level 21
Good idea I guess but I hate the fact that this would be single player...

well, i know some triggering, but how could it be possible to make an army have a limited space to go?

You could make a system that, for each unit, keeps track of following variables:
- Previous Location
- moves left

Then you would make a trigger that runs, e.g. every 0,25 seconds and calculates the distance between each unit's current position and it's previous position. Then you decrease the "moves left" with the distance you calculated. If you no longer have any moves left, you pause the unit (or at least force it not to move). Ofcourse, don't forget to overwrite "previous location" with its current location.

Level 4
well, i'm not so good with triggers, although i know some basics, so i cannot do this easily. any help would be greatly appreciated... and it can be multiblayer too, why not?

Level 21
Because:

- your description talks about a "campaign"
- your description talks about other maps (game cache).

So basically you would have to invent a solution to avoid loading new maps for a battle.
That can be done though, but a worse problem in multiplayer games would be: You're having real-time tactics vs turn-based strategy. How exactly are you going to keep other players busy doing stuff when 2 players are fighting a battle? Waiting for 5+ minutes without anything "useful" to do doesn't sound too interesting.

Fix that and I might try something with the movement system...

(Well, I've made a quick demo of it anyway...)

Attachments

• Movement test.w3x
    19 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Level 4
great demo! if u can add some multi board about when a turn ends it would be perfect!
well, considering what you said it must be multiplayer.

i have made some things that look similar to total war with world editor:

-Towns are represented by Town Halls. A town Hall can train an empty army, and purchase soldiers (they are items) the inventory of halls and armies can contain up to six solider groups.
-Every unit group (item) can be stored in any army, and has a value (examp "Footmen (100)" it has 100 charges
-after every battle, the value of the item rduces.

that's all for beginning

Level 21
great demo! if u can add some multi board about when a turn ends it would be perfect!
well, considering what you said it must be multiplayer.
Doesn't have to be multiplayer, in fact, as long as you don't find a solution for the turn-based problem I've mentioned, single player would be better. It's just that in order for it to be multiplayer, you need to find a fix to the mapswitching and the problem that player 3 would get rather bored of the game if a turn takes 5 minutes because player 1 and 2 are still fighting a battle. One battle of the many battles that are fought during a turn. It's just that I personally like multiplayer more...

-Towns are represented by Town Halls. A town Hall can train an empty army, and purchase soldiers (they are items) the inventory of halls and armies can contain up to six solider groups.
-Every unit group (item) can be stored in any army, and has a value (examp "Footmen (100)" it has 100 charges
-after every battle, the value of the item rduces.

that's all for beginning

How are you going to split or merge armies? Even a bigger problem: it's gonna be a LOT more complex to create a movement system that has to take care of the move steps left of multiple armies that just merged...

Level 4
sorry! a mistake i ment single player! sorry

spliting armies will not exist, but armies can trade units (with the classic inventory system)

Level 21
Yes but the thing is: if an army is out of moves, it might still trade its units to another army, that still has moves left. Obviously, units in the first army can.t move as they're out of moves, but once they enter the second army (in the same turn) they suddenly can move further than they should...

To make it multiplayer you would need all maps to be on the same map. That can be done with pretty ease, and with a random map generator you could make every battle take place on a different map, while still being multiplayer.
But you'll still have to find a solution to the boring "waits" during turns when players are battling.

Perhaps that could be solved by simply being able to swap between battlefield mode and worldmap mode. So basically a turn still ends each 5 minutes, generating gold and resetting the movement of all units, and you'll simply have to switch between those 2 maps during the game (i.e. press escape to get a tactical overview of your battle, press escape again to get to the world map and look at your lands)...

Level 4
wow, you look as you know these stuff...you can make my idea reality! i just simply threw an idea... when it is done it will be perfect i think...

well, Eleandor, you have a point in your last post. but i dont know much in triggers....

Status
Not open for further replies.