• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Turn-based RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I think it is poosible to create TBS-like system in Warcraft.
If you ever played Disciples\Heroes\XCom\Civilisation etc you may guess what I mean.
- Global map is realtime or semi-realtime (w. timeout), player's squads on global map are represented visually by one unit.
- Each squad contains up to X units, each unit can gain experience, has its evolution tree and parameters(like HP\armor\damage\initiative\action points\abilities) and can wear items.
- Squad may enter buildings on global map, buy units\items\global spells.
- Battles between squads are turn-based, only two squads can fight simultaneously.
Your oppinion?

Level 21
Grid-based movement (like in X-Com or other tactical turn-based games) would be a nightmare to combine with combat in Warcraft. If you have a free-roaming overmap with combat that initiates a new screen with static unit positions (like Disiciples or oldschool Final Fantasy), then it could work pretty well. It was done smoothly in this campaign.

Have you tried experimenting with turn-based combat yet? The AI might be pretty tough to work with depending on how in-depth the combat is. Or if you're planning to make it multiplayer, you should include a timer which gives penalties for taking too long to select a turn action.

Level 3
Turn based combat might be quite difficult to add in a RTS game like WC3 however...

I'm thinking of units having no movement speed but they will move by 'teleporting' and units have no attack. they will attack by clicking the command button to deal damage.

I'm sure it's somewhere along the lines, but it might be working only that I haven't tested it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.