• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Troubles converting .mdx to .mdl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi everyone,

been wanting to toy with modelling a bit again to help out a friend with their map, however, I'm stumbling on a blocking issue. So I'm using cascview to extract .mdx files from the Wc3 repo, but every tool I'm trying to use to convert them to .mdl seems to give errors when doing so.

Using MDLX Converter for example gives a popup with a bunch of assertion errors at certain lines. Sadly you don't get more detailed error messaging so it's hard to figure out stuff.

Magos' model editor gives me the following warning: 'Expected a "LAYS" tag, got a "" tag'. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Level 21
MDLX Converter and War3 Model Editor were made to be used with the mdx version 800. Since Reforged all models (even the classic ones) are version 1000.

Retera's Model Studio is the only thing that has been updated to support the newer mdx version and has a feature to convert between the old and new format.

Level 7
MDLX Converter and War3 Model Editor were made to be used with the mdx version 800. Since Reforged all models (even the classic ones) are version 1000.

Retera's Model Studio is the only thing that has been updated to support the newer mdx version and has a feature to convert between the old and new format.

Oh, thank you! I'll have a look at Retera's then. Never would have figured that out by myself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.