• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Converting to MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I recently started modeling and I am having trouble with converting. I made an attachment, not sure if its done right, but it is fully textured and such. I saved it as a .3DS file and I used the converter to make it a .MDX and it crashes. I tried opening MilkShape3D and exporting as a .MDX and that works fine. I then try to convert the .MDX to .MDL and the converter crashes. Anyone got advice? I attached the model. I just exported from 3DS Max as a .MDL but it gave an error and when trying to edit the texture location I get an error converting to .MDX saying unknown value in BITMAP. It uses textures/citystructures.blp.

Last edited:
Level 23
I haven't used the 3DS converter for at least five years, but unless you're talking about a different one or it's been fixed since then, I don't think it ever worked properly.

If you're using kdub's old Milkshape exporter, it can only export to unfinished MDL... If you're using Guesst's, I don't know, because it's always been robust to me.

If you're converting to MDL using YobGul's and it crashes, then I'd assume something is corrupt in the model file.

I would suggest that you find a better exporter so you can do it properly straight from Max, but I don't know anything about that. Or you get Guesst's exporter and just make the model from zero in Milkshape.

Level 3
Do you need to convert the polygons into triangles? Right now they are square polygons which I am better at using. Here's a list of the converters I used.

NeoDex .78b MDL Kit for 3dsmax

MDL <> MDX Converter

3DS/OBJ to MDX converter 1.2

UPDATE: I think I figured out the problem, I had 65 vertices and that didn't make sense to me since it's pretty low poly. So I performed an auto-weld and it was reduced to 35, so I think if there are vertices together but not welded you get an error. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Well it exported without errors, it converted with no errors, now it wont show up in viewer.

// 'NeoDeX Version: 0.78b
Version {
FormatVersion 800,
}
Model "Bronze Armor" {
BlendTime 150,
}
Textures 1 {
Bitmap {
Image "textures\citystructures.blp",
ReplaceableId 1,
}
}

That's all it says in the .MDL file.

New Update: Not sure why but I exported it again and everything was how it should be, now it shows up in viewer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.