1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

TrollManticoreRider

Submitted by Uncle Fester
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Oh well, just thought i should make a Troll airborne unit as well, in addition to my most recent air units. While playing Armies of Exigo, i just came across the Beast unit named Manticore Rider. This just made me think ''why not make a unit that doesn't exist yet in Warcraft?''. I just combined the idea of a Manticore and a Troll airborne, and this is the result: the Troll Manticore Rider!

Though considered a medium air unit, due to the lack of armor, this unit is as resistant as a Gryphon Rider! Manticores are more resistant than generally thought and they are pretty quick either. No one realy knows what exactly kind of species the Manticores are. The body looks like a Wyvern's, but the head is rather bat-like. Like Wyverns, they can deliver very toxic stings from their barb, and also spit fire, if allowed, but they're laying eggs like Dragons and reptiles. Manticore encounters aren't to be taken lightly. Even if certain hunter like hunting them for trophies, the cost for killing one can be very high. This is even more true with this unit! Not only does the enemy have to bring down a very resistant beast, there's also a cunning rider on its back, that won't hesitate to immolate any enemy in his range! Although the unit is a fine air fighter, it's mainly used for assaulting enemy bases. The Manticore's firy breath can easily scorch Gargoyles or Hippogryphs, and the rider's fires can quickly burn down buildings.

Feel free to use it in any way you want! Have fun with it! :wink:

EDIT 1: my thanks to Misha's good moderation once again for telling about a few wrongly assigned vertices. I fixed that now. Also made the rider's staff a bit shorter. It now doesn't clip through the manticore's wing. Another change was to make the shine around the rider red, instead of blue. IMO, a red shine is better fitting to such a unit. Now it performs better than before. :wink:

Keywords:
Troll airborne, airborne, Troll air unit, air unit, Manticore, Manticore rider, air rider, aerial cavalry
Contents

TrollManticoreRider (Model)

TrollManticoreRider (Model)

Reviews
14:07, 8th Apr 2013 Misha: this one has a few wrongly attached vertices so.. it does a dew strange distortions.. re-check it thoroughly. and i'm not that sure about the fire from the beast's mouth in spell anim works well, approved
  1. 14:07, 8th Apr 2013
    Misha: this one has a few wrongly attached vertices so.. it does a dew strange distortions.. re-check it thoroughly. and i'm not that sure about the fire from the beast's mouth in spell anim

works well, approved

2. Tonex

Tonex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Aren't manticore heads usually human?

3. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    HoMM3 popularised the lion-head version, but I think generally the legend says they appear to have monstrous human heads, so I guess bat face would work? They kinda look more human than felines.

That aside, cool model!

4. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    How about making more Armies of Exigo models? It's like one of the prettiest games on Earth, and Wc3 could use some ideas from there :)
    Like a boron riding goblin? Or that nasty witch ? Or a human pikeman ? :p

I like this very much, btw.

5. huy60vn

huy60vn

Resources:
    Resources:
    uhm,... This model has a good idea, but a wyvern has bat-head, i think it's not useful, but can make into a hero.

4/5

6. CheckeredFlag

CheckeredFlag

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    why a bat face

7. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    my concept from Armies of Exigo had a bat head. :vw_unimpressed:

I used Armies of Exigo version as a concept. There the head looked rather bat-ish. Ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

I was thinking of making either the Voidwalker, Matriarch, Stalker from the Fallen, or the Lizardmen from the Beasts (mainly striders :wink:). I've made already one Human pikeman, but he's oriental styled. :wink:

lol, why? :vw_wtf: Anyways, thx for your rating :ogre_hurrhurr:

As stated above, i used the Armies of Exigo Manticore Rider as a concept. :wink:

8. GreeN!X

GreeN!X

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The color of the head does not match the body quite well (black head + brown body), but it still is a pretty good model.. [​IMG]

9. MidasEntertainment

MidasEntertainment

Resources:
    Resources:
    Uncle Fester - KIng of trolls models ;P

10. TaShadan

TaShadan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice. Will you add a forest troll version?

11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    thx a lot :ogre_hurrhurr:

ty :ogre_haosis:

Ty :ogre_hurrhurr: Not rly :vw_sad: I'll make other troll models sooner or later, but not 3 versions of each. :vw_sad:

12. M93

M93

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks great. And its made with ingame textures. Plus you made a icon.
    I there any way to make its head brown with ingame textures? Its not that much of a contrast like everybody says, Bat's head is more gray than black, but it would look better with brown head.

You know what would look cool? A Tauren Spear Thrower on that thing.

13. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    it can be made brown with a Geoset Animation, but this would mean that even the eyes and such would become brown as well. :vw_sad: Srry, but i don't take contracts any more. :vw_sad:

14. M93

M93

Resources:
    Resources:
    It was a suggestion (since nobody made a Flying Tauren... weird), not a request. I am no modeler, nor a mapmaker, so I don't need resources. I sometimes "play" with WE, adding custom races, and making basic spells, but that's it.

Well if its intentionally a Bat-Wyvern crossbreed, its maybe better this way. Btw, I am downloading Armies of Exigo now. Sounds like a mix between Starcraft and Warcraft, so it cant be bad.

15. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Oh, srry. Misunderstood that. :vw_sad:

AoE (Armies of Exigo) is a pretty nice game, but it's more difficult than Warcraft (i.e. even the easy AI-enemy is a pretty good opponent). But i guess you;ll have fun with it, if you like strategy and fantasy. :wink:

16. trentohe

trentohe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nicely done! :)
    I always thought the wyverns of warcraft were exact manticores. Manticores sometimes have a head of a lion, or rather that looks like a lion. They are of Persian mythology.

17. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    :goblin_yeah:

18. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love it, Fester. For a moment, a few weeks ago, I was worried that you were about to return to your old ways of making poor doodad merge models.

It's good to see you're back to making these great troll models.

5/5.

19. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    thx a lot :ogre_haosis: