• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TrollManticoreRider

Oh well, just thought i should make a Troll airborne unit as well, in addition to my most recent air units. While playing Armies of Exigo, i just came across the Beast unit named Manticore Rider. This just made me think ''why not make a unit that doesn't exist yet in Warcraft?''. I just combined the idea of a Manticore and a Troll airborne, and this is the result: the Troll Manticore Rider!

Though considered a medium air unit, due to the lack of armor, this unit is as resistant as a Gryphon Rider! Manticores are more resistant than generally thought and they are pretty quick either. No one realy knows what exactly kind of species the Manticores are. The body looks like a Wyvern's, but the head is rather bat-like. Like Wyverns, they can deliver very toxic stings from their barb, and also spit fire, if allowed, but they're laying eggs like Dragons and reptiles. Manticore encounters aren't to be taken lightly. Even if certain hunter like hunting them for trophies, the cost for killing one can be very high. This is even more true with this unit! Not only does the enemy have to bring down a very resistant beast, there's also a cunning rider on its back, that won't hesitate to immolate any enemy in his range! Although the unit is a fine air fighter, it's mainly used for assaulting enemy bases. The Manticore's firy breath can easily scorch Gargoyles or Hippogryphs, and the rider's fires can quickly burn down buildings.

Feel free to use it in any way you want! Have fun with it! :wink:

EDIT 1: my thanks to Misha's good moderation once again for telling about a few wrongly assigned vertices. I fixed that now. Also made the rider's staff a bit shorter. It now doesn't clip through the manticore's wing. Another change was to make the shine around the rider red, instead of blue. IMO, a red shine is better fitting to such a unit. Now it performs better than before. :wink:

Keywords:
Troll airborne, airborne, Troll air unit, air unit, Manticore, Manticore rider, air rider, aerial cavalry
Contents

TrollManticoreRider (Model)

TrollManticoreRider (Model)

Reviews
14:07, 8th Apr 2013 Misha: this one has a few wrongly attached vertices so.. it does a dew strange distortions.. re-check it thoroughly. and i'm not that sure about the fire from the beast's mouth in spell anim works well, approved

M

14:07, 8th Apr 2013
Misha: this one has a few wrongly attached vertices so.. it does a dew strange distortions.. re-check it thoroughly. and i'm not that sure about the fire from the beast's mouth in spell anim

works well, approved

Level 15
How about making more Armies of Exigo models? It's like one of the prettiest games on Earth, and Wc3 could use some ideas from there :)
Like a boron riding goblin? Or that nasty witch ? Or a human pikeman ? :p

I like this very much, btw.

Level 8
uhm,... This model has a good idea, but a wyvern has bat-head, i think it's not useful, but can make into a hero.

4/5

Aren't manticore heads usually human?
my concept from Armies of Exigo had a bat head. :vw_unimpressed:

HoMM3 popularised the lion-head version, but I think generally the legend says they appear to have monstrous human heads, so I guess bat face would work? They kinda look more human than felines.

That aside, cool model!
I used Armies of Exigo version as a concept. There the head looked rather bat-ish. Ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

How about making more Armies of Exigo models? It's like one of the prettiest games on Earth, and Wc3 could use some ideas from there :)
Like a boron riding goblin? Or that nasty witch ? Or a human pikeman ? :p

I like this very much, btw.
I was thinking of making either the Voidwalker, Matriarch, Stalker from the Fallen, or the Lizardmen from the Beasts (mainly striders :wink:). I've made already one Human pikeman, but he's oriental styled. :wink:

uhm,... This model has a good idea, but a wyvern has bat-head, i think it's not useful, but can make into a hero.

4/5
lol, why? :vw_wtf: Anyways, thx for your rating :ogre_hurrhurr:

why a bat face
As stated above, i used the Armies of Exigo Manticore Rider as a concept. :wink:

M93

M93

Level 2
Looks great. And its made with ingame textures. Plus you made a icon.
I there any way to make its head brown with ingame textures? Its not that much of a contrast like everybody says, Bat's head is more gray than black, but it would look better with brown head.

You know what would look cool? A Tauren Spear Thrower on that thing.

Looks great. And its made with ingame textures. Plus you made a icon.
I there any way to make its head brown with ingame textures? Its not that much of a contrast like everybody says, Bat's head is more gray than black, but it would look better with brown head.

You know what would look cool? A Tauren Spear Thrower on that thing.
it can be made brown with a Geoset Animation, but this would mean that even the eyes and such would become brown as well. :vw_sad: Srry, but i don't take contracts any more. :vw_sad:

M93

M93

Level 2
it can be made brown with a Geoset Animation, but this would mean that even the eyes and such would become brown as well. :vw_sad: Srry, but i don't take contracts any more. :vw_sad:

It was a suggestion (since nobody made a Flying Tauren... weird), not a request. I am no modeler, nor a mapmaker, so I don't need resources. I sometimes "play" with WE, adding custom races, and making basic spells, but that's it.

Well if its intentionally a Bat-Wyvern crossbreed, its maybe better this way. Btw, I am downloading Armies of Exigo now. Sounds like a mix between Starcraft and Warcraft, so it cant be bad.

It was a suggestion (since nobody made a Flying Tauren... weird), not a request. I am no modeler, nor a mapmaker, so I don't need resources. I sometimes "play" with WE, adding custom races, and making basic spells, but that's it.

Well if its intentionally a Bat-Wyvern crossbreed, its maybe better this way. Btw, I am downloading Armies of Exigo now. Sounds like a mix between Starcraft and Warcraft, so it cant be bad.
Oh, srry. Misunderstood that. :vw_sad:

AoE (Armies of Exigo) is a pretty nice game, but it's more difficult than Warcraft (i.e. even the easy AI-enemy is a pretty good opponent). But i guess you;ll have fun with it, if you like strategy and fantasy. :wink:

Level 1
Very nicely done! :)
I always thought the wyverns of warcraft were exact manticores. Manticores sometimes have a head of a lion, or rather that looks like a lion. They are of Persian mythology.

Level 9

4/5

This isn't actually a wyvern. It's a manticore. And, manticores have lion heads or human heads. Since Warcraft 3 doesn't really have lions in-game THAT ARE yellow/orange colored, he picked this. And I don't really think Wyverns have Bat-heads. Don't know for sure. And I don't read a lot of legends, So I don't know if Wyverns and Manticores are the same. correct me if I'm wrong. Well, 5/5 for the awesome model.

This isn't actually a wyvern. It's a manticore. And, manticores have lion heads or human heads. Since Warcraft 3 doesn't really have lions in-game THAT ARE yellow/orange colored, he picked this. And I don't really think Wyverns have Bat-heads. Don't know for sure. And I don't read a lot of legends, So I don't know if Wyverns and Manticores are the same. correct me if I'm wrong. Well, 5/5 for the awesome model.
ty :ogre_hurrhurr: The concept i used for making a manticore was bat-like. The armies of Exigo manticores look like some kind of huge firebreathing bat. That's why i made it this way.
A gnoll head would be a good substitute for a lion head. :wink:

Level 35
this model is one of two on hive sporting the 'manticore' name, this being the only one that's not a ballista from WBC3

i have a soft spot for the general uniqueness of the idea, and the implementation is enjoyable

a version without the rider would definitely be appreciated, broadening the scope for fantasy creatures in the hive's model section even further

as per usual, you present the hive with a nice unique twist on a genre that is otherwise deemed 'old' and 'tired', succeeding admirably in finding some new ground that has yet to be covered and stealing it from the natives

this model is one of two on hive sporting the 'manticore' name, this being the only one that's not a ballista from WBC3

i have a soft spot for the general uniqueness of the idea, and the implementation is enjoyable

a version without the rider would definitely be appreciated, broadening the scope for fantasy creatures in the hive's model section even further

as per usual, you present the hive with a nice unique twist on a genre that is otherwise deemed 'old' and 'tired', succeeding admirably in finding some new ground that has yet to be covered and stealing it from the natives
ty :ogre_hurrhurr: Not sure about that, but i guess making a Manticore creep could be a nice idea. I was planning to make a building too, called Manticore Lair where the Troll Manticore Riders are trained. :wink:

i would love to see that, it would be great

keep up the good work
ty :ogre_hurrhurr: well, the problem is that my notebook crashed, and i don't have WC3 on my other PC and i currently can find neither the cds of WC3 nor the cd keys. With the CD keys i could get a WC3 client for free from Blizzard. So my work has currently come to a hold for now :vw_sad: