1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Troll Totem Hydra

Submitted by Misha
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
weeell.. this is a "troll skiff" thingie i was doing for Kyrbi0, according to the ideas he was sketching, but to be honest, i'd say that it ended up as something a lot more different than what he was imagining :xxd: still, i tried to make something with totems that shoot darts and have some voodoo-like things holding them together.. =P aand, me being confused, i first created a whole naval version instead of the ground one :ogre_hurrhurr:

Although, that is fixed, so.. enjoy it, dude =P

EDIT: I decided to shorten, rewrap, and further tweak the land version, hopefully it feels a lill more like a troll craft, while having enough TC and 'nurnies' (whatever that means)
I kept the naval version as it is, as i wanted it :p

Soundset for these, Definitely 'Spirit of Vengeance' >:D because that's what the 'avatar of vengeance' uses. (warden ultimate spell)

That is all, folks.. give credits to Misha if you use these, or.. come get da voodoo >=P

Keywords:
troll, dart, skiff, totem, hydra, for, Kyrbi0, with, two, variations, for, land, and, water, =P
Contents

Troll Totem Hydra (Model)

Troll Totem Hydra (Model)

Reviews
16:26, 21st Aug 2014 MiniMage: It's a little funky looking, but nothing that hinders its approval. Personally I think it would've looked neat to have a troll there, but maybe that's just me. Anyhow, approved.
  1. 16:26, 21st Aug 2014
    MiniMage: It's a little funky looking, but nothing that hinders its approval. Personally I think it would've looked neat to have a troll there, but maybe that's just me. Anyhow, approved.

2. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh and one more thing :p these two models need to be mechanical and to have 'can't raise, does decay' tag so it works alright. also, they need to have a large selection circle so they don't clip into other units of their kind

3. Zed

Zed

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh cool.
    4/5

4. Looks very cool.

5. How is this hydra?

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    because it has 3 heads :p or, 3 totems, in this case, and i animated them to behave like heads

7. Oh yeah I see now, good work! +rep

o_O

8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The animations are great, the mesh is nice, but the concept is.. strange. It is really hard to figure out what this is from the screenshot. I also don't really like the log texture from the ashenvale tree, it is too contrasted and just hurts my eyes.

In any case, i see no reason why this wouldn't be approved. If you were to replace the ashenvale trunk texture from the timber frame, it would look pretty cool.

9. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Strange model, I'm wierded out actually o_O?
    But it has some good animations and nice meshes.
    The only thing I see as a problem is its middle head, the Ashen texture
    camouflages the mouth into smiling but in truth its mouth was already open
    4/5, Nice though

10. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Trolls are more advanced than we originally feared. That is one really great looking machine though looks much better when tested then on the screenshot. By the way is it just me or is the middle head made from treant?

11. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    so it looks like everything i make weirds people out, lol..
    and the middle totem's face is actually a tree of life, rewrapped to a treant texture

12. Go'el

Go'el

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Now the Trolls have ships! YEY! (that's a ship, right?)
    5/5

13. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wow, this is super freaking cool! I almost prefer the water version to the ground version though (I find it a bit odd that it only has one wheel), but both are great.
    My only issue is that it feels a little bland and monotone. The way I see it, trolls have a tendency of decorating their constructions with paint and colorful wrapping/ropes/etc. In other words, some more color differentiation would be neat.

14. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow, this model is pretty awesome. I love the feel of it, but kinda think it needs a little more team colour.

15. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is creative.

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    For those who are interested, well:
    Yeah, check 'dat Concept Art. :p
    Here's some now, in fact.

No kidding. :p

~~

My thoughts are similar to those above:
    Creative & crafty mesh, great animations, good wrapping & nice SFX (I did say 'purple' voodoo, but that's an easy fix for me)... Just a few things I'd like to see, if you're still up for it:

• 1 - The Texture: Had this issue on a few other Jungle Troll models; people wanted to use wood & leaves from the different tileset's Trees, and the issue is twofold; 1) it blends in too much (as we see here, unfortunately), and 2) it looks really weird outside of it's particular Tileset.
      These guys'll be in the Sunken Ruins all the time, but I don't want them to look out of place in Northrend or the Barrens...

The solution I see is to use a different wood. Probably the best (unfortunately only) wood would (lol) be the "VoodooLounge.blp". Not only is the wood well-detailed & curvy, but it even has Team Color associated with it! (bands).
    • 2 - The Length: See the image I whipped up, attached below. While interesting, it's Length is a real problem for me. Maybe a ship can get away with length like that (making the Naval version 'the' version), but if you compare to every other "basic mech" in the other races, none come that close to being so long.

One possible solution is to simply "shrink" the tail end. I've already done a mock-up & taken pics in the attached "__TROLL MECH WIP2.2 EDIT.png"; side & angled view. Just moved the bars & the wheel up & in to the chassis. This isn't perfect, but might get the job done (where "restructuring completely" is out of the option). Basically, it was meant to look a lot/identical to the Meat Wagon & some of the others; one big "log" wheel rolling underneath, unseen (see above linked Concept Art #3).

The issue with my little mod is, as you probably guessed, wonked-out animations (during Walk, the wheel spins through the air in a big arc, rather than rotating on the axle). No idea how to fix that.
    • 3 - TeamColor & Nurnies: As Frankster & Chr2 pointed out, it's rather... stark. Even with the VoodooLounge.blp texture all over it, it'll still really stand in need of some more serious Team Color (ala the other Mechs), and especially little nurnies.

The tiki-mask-faces on the wheel were a nice touch... More stuff like that! Take a look at the Shadow Hunter; tons of nurnies, doodads, etc. Masks, shoulderpads, skulls, bottles, bones, etc. Not sure where, but definitely somewhere. And those nurnies (esp. masks) would be a great place for more TC.

Anyway, I just gotta say that I am really grateful you were willing to take my Request in the first place, Misha. You've done an incredibly creative job (though deviating pretty drastically from the original design) and really made me see this in a new light. The "Totem Hydra" is growing on me... But I do believe he has a few more changes in store before really hitting the floor running. : )

Attached Files:

17. Splub

Splub

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is a very cool model! Nice job!

18. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, I updated the land version, using the 'ancient of war' and 'guldan runes' textures

19. Midasowski

Midasowski

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great for my Troll race :D 5/5