• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Troll Stoneslicer

Reactions: deepstrasz
So my first model upload here is going to be this Troll Stoneslicer.

While rather simple in its design, I wanted to start off with something easy.

Update 1:
-The gem spheres' poly count has been greatly reduced.
-Special thanks to Sunchips for showing how to improve UV mapping (and redoing most of it). Be sure to credit him as well if you use this resource in your map.

Keywords:
Troll, stone, slicer, sword, rock, blade
Contents

Troll Stoneslicer (Model)

Reviews
08:46, 27th Apr 2015 Misha: groovy, mon :xxd:
milkshape exported? xD fix the internal name, mate

the sword shape looks quite cool to me, but the sword's edge just doesn't feel like it has enough roughness as the body bit.. sure, you wanted it to look sharp, but would it not look a bit more dangerous if it had a few textured cracks here and there?, fitting with the stone bit on the inside, at least on the upper section

milkshape exported? xD fix the internal name, mate

the sword shape looks quite cool to me, but the sword's edge just doesn't feel like it has enough roughness as the body bit.. sure, you wanted it to look sharp, but would it not look a bit more dangerous if it had a few textured cracks here and there?, fitting with the stone bit on the inside, at least on the upper section

Heh yeah I noticed it too late. The name is fixed now.
Sure I'll have a look at it and see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback :)

Edit:
Oh I thought I fixed the name. I didn't. I'll change it.
There we go.

Edit2:
The sword has been updated. I hope this is more to your liking. Otherwise give me a shout.

Last edited:
Nice blade, I like the shape.
Chaosium said:
Very nice, reminds me of the Twinblade of the Hakkari! (http://www.wowhead.com/item=69620)

Pretty neat =)

The blade is in fact inspired by exactly that blade.

Misha said:
it's kinda the same.. interesting..
.. but maybe you shouldn't be using full spheres, billboarded planes will reduce the filesize by a lot
Sunchips said:
The idea and concept is very good but the polycount can be reduced and the wrap can be improved I will send you a private message discussing it more :)

Thank you for the feedback.
I am used to work with weapons between 5k and 10k polys so I thought I was stretching it tremendously here :p

Thank you all for the comments. The blade has been updated.

Thank you Sunchips for improving the UV mapping and showing how it's properly done :)

@Blood Raven.
I am a bit ambivalent about this quote:
It seems that you copied the mesh of Twinblade of the Hakkari
On one hand I'm saddened that you think I would simply copy (steal) the mesh from a WoW weapon. Especially because I am a firm believer that people should only upload scratch made models.
On the other hand I'm happy that you think it's a copy since that means I hit the proportions perfectly ;)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments. The blade has been updated.

Thank you Sunchips for improving the UV mapping and showing how it's properly done :)

@Blood Raven.
I am a bit ambivalent about this quote:
On one hand I'm saddened that you think I would simply copy (steal) the mesh from a WoW weapon. Especially because I am a firm believer that people should only upload scratch made models.
On the other hand I'm happy that you think it's a copy since that means I hit the proportions perfectly ;)
Well, idk, if it's handmade you must've followed the mesh vertex by vertex, because the blade itself has the same amount of polies on the same places, which, even if handmade, is kinda copying you know... xD

Also, these new eye-spheres are awesome ^.^

EDIT: My bad, now on a closer look I see the handle and guard are different from the Twinblade of the Hakkari, but the blade still sorta bothers me.

Alright here is what I have done.
I made a plane in 3Ds Max. Found an image of the Twinblade online. Imported said image to the plane I just made.
While looking at the front view (with the plane rotated 90 degrees) I began modeling.
First the blade. It's made with a spline (line) and once the proportions were correct I transformed the spline into an editable poly mesh.
From here I chose the now many sided poly and inserted it (the tool) to get the inner part of the blade.
After that I cut (the tool) the vertices from the outer edge to the corresponding inner edge.
And bam. The blade part was done.

Now we are talking about copying.
So the Zin'rokh, the Bulkward, the Thunderfury, the Sword of War etc. etc. etc. are just as much copies then. Even with matching texture. This model is not.

I haven't seen how the Twinblades vertices, edges, polies are placed. If they match perfectly then it's pure coincidence.

Alright here is what I have done.
I made a plane in 3Ds Max. Found an image of the Twinblade online. Imported said image to the plane I just made.
While looking at the front view (with the plane rotated 90 degrees) I began modeling.
First the blade. It's made with a spline (line) and once the proportions were correct I transformed the spline into an editable poly mesh.
From here I chose the now many sided poly and inserted it (the tool) to get the inner part of the blade.
After that I cut (the tool) the vertices from the outer edge to the corresponding inner edge.
And bam. The blade part was done.

Now we are talking about copying.
So the Zin'rokh, the Bulkward, the Thunderfury, the Sword of War etc. etc. etc. are just as much copies then. Even with matching texture. This model is not.

I haven't seen how the Twinblades vertices, edges, polies are placed. If they match perfectly then it's pure coincidence.
No problem man, I was just curious, I hope I didn't offend you in any way.
Peace :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Did somebody say 'Trolls'? :p

How did I miss this? Great to see you making the artistic jump/foray into modeling, Solu9. And even more gratifying that it's related to mah lovely Trolls. : )

I like this one the best of the two; just nice & simple. I fear the detail of the eyes would be lost in-game, but the blade-shape is solid, & I love the texture for it (Ashenvale Statue, right?).

Keep it up.

I really like it, but it might be a good idea to take your preview picture with a grey background so the edge of that blade doesn't look cartoonishly white. It's not really that noticeable of an issue in-game, but if you want to change the wrap it could be a good idea.

4/5, you've done a good job of making it look good while preserving its intended simplicity.