• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TriggerHappy vs The_Reborn_Devil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Carpet Bombing sounds nice :D
I'll go for that I think.

"Well is the other entry coming along?"
You mean TriggerHappy? I don't know. The last I heard was that he haven't even started :D

Level 22
Total amount of lines:
Without extras: 694 lines
With extras: 948 lines
:D

Current names and description:
Carpet Bombing

Impose obliteration upon thine enemies by releasing several carriers, each unleashing a deadly wave of mass destruction.
Level 1: 40 missiles each dealing 80 dmg.
Level 2: 55 missiles each dealing 110 dmg.
Level 3: 70 missiles each dealing 140 dmg.
Also destroys trees.

Devastating Hole

Materializes a devastating black hole which drags all missiles towards it.
Lasts 6/8/10 seconds.

Credits to:
PitzerMike for a function I'm using.
RED BARON for the "Carpet Bombing" name.
The_Reborn_Devil for making the rest :D

Edit:
Hmm, interesting. Maybe I should make a video too :D

Level 22
I'm currently uploading a video to YouTube.
Here's another screenshot:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scrnsht.png
    Scrnsht.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Level 22
Btw i was talking about removing their minimap icons since i thought those dots were the units.
I noez :D

@The_Reborn_Devil
How`s your youtube vid? ;p
5 minutes left :D
I got a really bad upload rate :D

Edit: Eet eez donez:

Sorreh for bad quality. The one I first tried to upload would take 4 hours :D

Level 22
oh, I mistook that as the challenge expiration, nvm:p
Hehe :D

I must say it looks... amazing.

Edit: Is 01-18-09 (18th of January 2010) the deadline?

Edit: Since I'm visiting my dad this weekend I'm going to upload my spell now. Kinda :D
Being the insanely annoying guy I am, I just had to create a time lock for it ^^
Which means you can't see it before 17th of January 2009 (1 day before the deadline) which also happens to be in two days :D
To get the spell on that date (or later) just download the Spell.rar below and run "Time Lock.jar" (requires Java). If the day is 17th of January or later it will create a new file called "Epic Link.txt". In there you will find a link to a pastebin entry containing my spell :D
Oh, you're probably wondering why there's a file in there called "spell.pak"? It's because it contains an encrypted version of the link :p
I made the Time Lock kinda like system rather than something which only gives you the link to the spell ^^
If you're smart you can probably find the spell before that date though :D

Attachments

• Spell.rar
    3.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Level 13
Hehe :D

Edit: Is 01-18-09 (18th of January 2009) the deadline?

Edit: Since I'm visiting my dad this weekend I'm going to upload my spell now. Kinda :D
Being the insanely annoying guy I am, I just had to create a time lock for it ^^
Which means you can't see it before 17th of January 2009 (1 day before the deadline) which also happens to be in two days :D
To get the spell on that date (or later) just download the Spell.rar below and run "Time Lock.jar" (requires Java). If the day is 17th of January or later it will create a new file called "Epic Link.txt". In there you will find a link to a pastebin entry containing my spell :D
Oh, you're probably wondering why there's a file in there called "spell.pak"? It's because it contains an encrypted version of the link :p
I made the Time Lock kinda like system rather than something which only gives you the link to the spell ^^
If you're smart you can probably find the spell before that date though :D

Actually we can't go back with the time, so I guess it should end on 17th of January 2010, or not?

EDIT: Anyway I took the map... :/ sorry too easy :p

EDIT: I dunno you, but to me it laggs a lot...Probably it's because of models but...Well, I don't know jass or vjass, but are you sure that you removed all the leaks?

Level 16
Actually we can't go back with the time, so I guess it should end on 17th of January 2010, or not?

EDIT: Anyway I took the map... :/ sorry too easy :p

EDIT: I dunno you, but to me it laggs a lot...Probably it's because of models but...Well, I don't know jass or vjass, but are you sure that you removed all the leaks?

it's because of the massive explosive effects.

Not feeling very confident but I am out of time to work on this any further.
There are no levels because I made it for a non-hero.
It's fully levelable in the code, though.

Kamikaze
They gyrocopter heads in full throttle torwards the ground where his foes lay.
Crashing the copter causes a big explosion and creating a sonic boom knocking the enemies back

Credits
  • Vexorian, TimerUtils.
  • Vexorian, BoundSentinel

Attachments

• kamikaze.w3x
    23.6 KB · Views: 107
Level 9
well i think triggerhappy might win, cause its simple and lagless. imagine 3 ppl using the spell that reborn devil made... i dare not think of the amount of lag.
the spell that reborn made have bug, it will not go to the gravity thing if ur more than 3 level higher than the gravity.... if i used the white hole, my com will pause from lag for a few secs. wow.

Level 22
Ohsh- I failed with the date thing :D And yes I know it was insanely easy to crack it. I thought of using the hive to check the date, but I didn't have enough time so I based it on the system time :D

Yes, I know it's a bit laggy when you got many missiles. I guess I should reduce the amount a little bit.

ACdestinydream said:
the spell that reborn made have bug, it will not go to the gravity thing if ur more than 3 level higher than the gravity
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean the missiles ignore the black hole if the Carpet Bombing spell is level 3 and the black hole is level 1 or something? Or do you mean if you're standing higher up than the hole? It doesn't have infinite range, just so you know.

Wait a few min. I will update the spell with some minor tweaks.

Edit: I've done some minor tweaks now. I don't know if there is a big difference though as I never got below 60 FPS when using even 100 missiles :D
It's very customisable though, so if you think it's too laggy just reduce the amount of carriers or missiles.

Attachments

• Mah awzum spell.w3x
    87.5 KB · Views: 104
Level 23
Challenge judging.

First off, starting with The_Reborn_Devil
-----------------------------------------
*The spell was cool, fitted the theme but solely due to the missiles exploding. The black hole was kind of in the grayzone to be valid if we are to look at the both spells individually. The challenge did not however, require synergies between two spells, thus, the effect of the black hole will not give you extra credits in the scoresheet. But overall, very well made with a matching tooltip. I could not see any bugs so far.

*As a matter of formality, I do have some complaints/critics on your code. The physics were great though, and well coded, but in all your loops, your first index begins at 1. The ordinary for an array is that the first index is at 0. But yeah it doesn't affect the spell, more than that you waste the first index;)
The second would be, in your loops, if an object gets destroyed, set i = i - 1. And then, at the very end, setting i = i + 1. It would look much better (and more efficient if that should count, lol:p) if, once an object gets destroyed, do nothing with the index, and if it is not destroyed, set i = i + 1. Again, a matter of formality.
The third would be that your enum for units checking if the unit is alive isn't always valid, since a unit could have health even though it is counted as dead. So, a check of IsUnitType UNIT_TYPE_DEAD as well would prevent it. The best option howere is to include the common.ai native UnitAlive instead of checking the other two.

*About the tooltip. "thine enemies"? When I looked thine up in the dictionary it translated it to something like aged, or ancient. Peasants arn't ancient enemies;). The last thing I should say is that "Also destroys trees" would better start on a new line, not at the lvl 3 tooltip.

*Your total grading: 64
Coding: 27
Eye Candy 30
Orginality 7

*The very final note would be that the practical use in an ordinary map isn't the best, unless the user decides to mixture around with the constants too much. It would be neater if it was "standard" already. I do believe you spend the most time on your spell though. Oh one more thing (yes I build this sentence up as I find more to add) I would again have you check the constants or physics behind the synergy. If you cast a gravity on yourself, and then the missiles, the orbit is extremely massive, causing the missiles to just disappear.

Last but not least, TriggerHappy
--------------------------------
*This spell was pretty nice as well. It does not have the same eyecandy however, the tooltip could have been slightly better, but Ill point that out later. The tooltip fit overall though. The idea was good though, even though I could compare it with the Kaboom spell:p

*Again, a matter of formality, you also start your index at 1. And the spell does bug since your checking of the added object in the kb array, yet the first index is forgotten due to total is having the same index, thus it will stop when i >= 1 which will never be run for the very last object (well you got the point, I already told you it in chat).
Another formality is that struct member handles are usually nulled. I know they are globals, and doesn't need to, but using them in a wrong way would lead to trying to use it when the reference doesn't exist. But yes it is minor. As well as the fact that the BoundSentinel will allow your spell to knock out units outside the playable map bounds, causing them to be stuck if unlucky. But yeah, that is not your fault.
Good thing you used UnitAllive though:p

*About the tooltip. First word should assumingly be "The" not "They" (and you forgot a dot at the end). The tooltip was rather formal as well, and I feel it could sound better. I do know the spell was one level only, but since the contest does not require it not to be, it is not a complaint.

*Your total grading: 63
Coding: 28
Eye Candy: 27
Orginality: 8

--------------------------------------------------
As for the next time, include more coding criteria, with less point in each of them. This was extremely hard to choose, and one point there vs one point here makes a huge difference. I hope you are somewhat approvable with that fact. More rules makes a difference too:p

Congrats to Reborn Devil.
But it was a close match.
~Eccho~

Level 22
NO WAI! LIEZ!! :D
This is the first time I won a contest :D

Eccho said:
About the tooltip. "thine enemies"?
"Thine" is medieval english for "your".
I liek medieval english.

"Thou shalt be slain!"
"From the depth of hell I stabbeth thee!"
Lol: "As I walk through the valley of shadows, I shalt naught fear evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they confort me." (Improved the bible version :D)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You didn't really take your time looking up 'thine' did you?
thine (n)
pron. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
Used to indicate the one or ones belonging to thee.
adj. A possessive form of thou1
Used instead of thy before an initial vowel or h:

Anyhow, congratulations TaRD .. told you the usefulness of your spell was on an alarmingly low level. P:

Status
Not open for further replies.