• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Triggered Terrain Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So for a long time I've been using triggers to change some of the terrain on my map and get around the normal tileset limit. It worked pretty well until I developed a new area that requires a different cliff type (Underground dirt cliff to be exact). The map already includes 2 other cliff types which look rather different and are both needed.

This bit of terrain triggering:
  • Environment - Change terrain type at ((Center of arena10 <gen>) offset by (0.00, 500.00)) to Underground - Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 11 and shape Square
works just fine. All the original dirt tiles are replaced with the cave ground tiles I want.

However, this bit:
  • Environment - Change terrain type at ((Center of arena10 <gen>) offset by (0.00, 500.00)) to Underground - Dirt Cliff using variation 1 in an area of size 11 and shape Square
seems to do nothing at all. So I end up with this ugly effect where dirt of one kind is mixed with cliffs of another. Oh and I already tried having the second one use variation -1 and that didn't work either.

Level 21
So for a long time I've been using triggers to change some of the terrain on my map and get around the normal tileset limit. It worked pretty well until I developed a new area that requires a different cliff type (Underground dirt cliff to be exact). The map already includes 2 other cliff types which look rather different and are both needed.

This bit of terrain triggering:
  • Environment - Change terrain type at ((Center of arena10 <gen>) offset by (0.00, 500.00)) to Underground - Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 11 and shape Square
works just fine. All the original dirt tiles are replaced with the cave ground tiles I want.

However, this bit:
  • Environment - Change terrain type at ((Center of arena10 <gen>) offset by (0.00, 500.00)) to Underground - Dirt Cliff using variation 1 in an area of size 11 and shape Square
seems to do nothing at all. So I end up with this ugly effect where dirt of one kind is mixed with cliffs of another. Oh and I already tried having the second one use variation -1 and that didn't work either.

The actual tile limit is 16 btw.

Generally people do not favor blizzard cliffs here. This here is only one of the reasons.

Level 8
Yes, I've been reading over lots of threads about cliffs and I'm aware of that. For this situation though I do like the way the blizzard cliffs make the area look- I just want them to be the right blizzard cliffs.

Level 8
Yeah size is not the issue here as the non-cliff terraining action that works should prove.

So do people have any ideas? Considering that there IS the option to change terrain at an area to cliffs it strikes me that there's almost certainly a way to make that actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.