• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trigger learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
(Especially for triggering experts) How did you learn how to make triggers for spells? I'm not very good at them so far and the tutorials only cover so much. It's also a bit difficult for me to examine already created spells (it's like just showing a student the answers on homework instead of helping them with it). I want to learn more about how to use them to my advantage without having to ask questions on forums.

There will be a jass class, hope soon, which will help in learning.

But anyways, with real projects you always learn best, choose a (small) concept for a map that you think might be fun, and try to create the spells. You will face much problems and methods you need to deal with, and will improve for sure. And the tutorials and forums is only the result of such questions that arises, but never the begining.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I admit that it's quite a complicated archive solution, but it's to fight google malware detection. I attached .zip file.

Attachments

• JNGP_209.zip
    47.1 MB · Views: 74

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Warcraft III doesn't use vJASS. During map load, JASS2 code inside map archive and common Blizzard code is compiled into byte code for JASS VM. vJASS is community-driven syntax that is interpreted by JassHelper, which is made by Vexorian, not Blizzard, and thus not included in the vanilla World Editor. JassHelper, if enabled in the main menu, is automatically run after you save the map with the custom World Editor included inside JNGP, NewGen WE.

JassHelper does report both vJASS and JASS2 errors, latter being checked by external tool, pjass. Error reporting is crucial, as upon coming across faulty code the game throws you into the main menu (or Battle.net menu if it's an online session) upon map load (this being the phase when JASS2 code is read by the game client). Use the information provided to you by the JassHelper dialog to correct the error. Also note that your map might still crash, even if no errors were reported. Below you can see a code that makes the game client abruptly exit in loading screen.

JASS:
scope S initializer Init
    globals
        trigger T = CreateTrigger()
    endglobals
    private function Cond takes nothing returns boolean
        return TriggerEvaluate(T)
    endfunction
    private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
        call TriggerAddCondition(T, Condition(function Cond))
        call TriggerEvaluate(T)
    endfunction
endscope

Level 11
(Especially for triggering experts) How did you learn how to make triggers for spells?

Googled a spell that I thought was interesting, a small basic dash into knockback spell. I found a video tutorial and used it, copying what he did. Doing this allowed me to realize how to make my own dash spells, as well as where things are in the world editor, and how some things worked.

If you don't know how to do something that you want to do, google it. If you can't find it, ask the hive. Make friends with other map makers who can help you in real time. Join the hive discord chat. (Not sure what else to put here).

Level 4
Googled a spell that I thought was interesting, a small basic dash into knockback spell. I found a video tutorial and used it, copying what he did. Doing this allowed me to realize how to make my own dash spells, as well as where things are in the world editor, and how some things worked.
Yes, that's what I do. Sadly, there aren't many videos on a variety of spells, and some of them go way too fast, don't work, etc.
hive discord chat
Hive discord? I looked at it on a thread, and it's just like a voice chat. How is that supposed to help me in my triggering endeavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.