• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[vJASS] Trigger evaluations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I've started working on a spell and I've got a question.
In this spell, there are multiple objects which i use structs for, however, the objects are very similar except each has a different method. This method should be, for each object type, executed each 0.03 seconds for which i use T32.
Now, i've got 2 ways of doing it and my question is which is better.

-I thought about using 1 struct that would have multiple methods, for each object type. Each instance of this struct would have a trigger member that would have one of these methods assigned as it's condition upon instance creation so i can evaluate the trigger member in a method ran by T32 to fire each instance's corresponding method.

-The second way would be to make a struct for each object type. While in this way, i would avoid trigger evaluations which are slow, as far as i know, i would also have to implement T32 in each struct which would make multiple loops and additional methods for each struct. Also the only difference between those structs would be 1 method :/

TL;DR Are trigger evaluations really that slow or it doesn't matter that much?

Level 31
Are trigger evaluations really that slow or it doesn't matter that much?

For 32x a second, yes, it does matter a lot.

For 32x a second, a hashtable will die compared to an array just as a trigger evaluation will die compared to a function call. Surprisingly, a function call with no arguments and no return (or 1 argument) pretty much does as well as an inlined function ;P.

It isn't super efficient, but it shouldn't have a noticeable difference on the game's speed or fps.

Generally, it depends on the functions called within the evaluation of whether or not it will slow down the speed. However, the evaluation itself is pretty fast, as long as the condition of the trigger returns false.

You probably shouldn't use it if you can avoid it, but otherwise it will still be okay to use, just as hashtables would be okay to use for a spell. :p

Level 17
Hashtables, from my tests, are about 4-6 times slower than arrays. If it's avoidable, avoid it, if it's not or it makes your life easier, just stick with them.

Hmm, strange, i made one test long time ago with custom StopWatch natives and it was about 1.7 time slower (considering i used an hashtable as an array, which means with a constant argument and a variable one.)

Are you sure of that ?

Level 17
Problem is that stopwatch natives no longer works with the newest patchs, i dunno if we can really believe a stress test by checking how many fps we lost.
And i suppose we need to test it with the newest patch, just to be sure in case the hashtable efficiency has been changed.

I could be wrong but i hardly believe your statements Bribe, or at least it was not so poorly efficient few patchs before when i tested them. (or was i drunk ? hmm ... )

Level 20
Sorry for bumping the thread, i thought it's appropriate to ask here since its evaluation related.
I noticed that once compiled, extended structs have trigger evaluations within their destructors that evaluate onDestroy methods. Will those evaluations have impact on efficiency, considering I'm not using onDestroy?
Generally, it depends on the functions called within the evaluation of whether or not it will slow down the speed. However, the evaluation itself is pretty fast, as long as the condition of the trigger returns false.
According to the above quote, it shouldn't since the triggers will have no conditions/onDestroy methods, though i need a confirmation.

Level 31
Consider this-

10 triggers evaluated each with 1 condition is much slower than 1 trigger evaluated with 10 conditions.

This means that the trigger evaluation itself has quite a bit of overhead.

Also, the trigger evaluation from structs extending structs comes from polymorphism. Struct B might extend struct A but it might be stored in a struct A variable. When struct B's destructor is called (while it is sitting in struct A), it'll evaluate the trigger that'll send it to B's destructor and then to A's destructor rather than just calling A's destructor.

JASS:
//B extends A
local B b = B.create()
local A a = b
call a.destroy() //calls B's destructor, then A's

A lot of people wonder why the trigger evaluation is in there. It's not because vexorian is crazy >: p.

Status
Not open for further replies.