• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trash Arenas Always Go TOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I don't know about you, but everytime I draft an arena deck, the more legendaries / epics / rares it has, the less I win. Its some sort of psychology because you have good cards you don't want to lose them, therefor you play really carefully and try not to screw up - and you screw up.

I never won more than 8 wins with a really good arena deck.

But I almost always win 10+ wins with a trashy ass arena deck.

Like this one:

Hearthstone_Screenshot_10.3.2014.00.40.55.png

It has a wide array of "strange" picks, but somehow the universe works its magic and I win games big time.

Goblin Rocketeer won me 4 games. Core Hound won me 2.

Look at how Rocketeer wins games. LOOK AT IT!!!

Hearthstone_Screenshot_10.3.2014.00.37.25.png

What about you? How is your arena skills?
Do you also win big when your deck isn't top notch?

tumblr_m0yelrgRiA1r3938lo1_400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar situation. I only got 12 wins a few times, and only one of them involved a legendary (Baron Geddon, as warrior). It honestly depends on who you face as well. I thought my most recent deck was really really strong (it had good card draw--nourish, 2 wraths, gnomish inventor), but I only got 6 wins out of it. Sometimes you just face ppl with really good decks (or ppl who get really lucky).

But I agree, I tend to do worse when I have some "Epic" card. Everyone aims to get some form of removal in arena--the more the better (usually), so investing so much in a legendary can be wasteful. I tend to do better when I have a lot of mid-range units and early units. The more expensive units tend to just use up an opponent's removal. For example, I ended up with big game hunter in my last arena run, and I got about 3-4 *good* uses of it out of my 9 games. Big units are kinda risky in arena overall unless they have a good battlecry.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I have a similar situation. I only got 12 wins a few times, and only one of them involved a legendary (Baron Geddon, as warrior). It honestly depends on who you face as well. I thought my most recent deck was really really strong (it had good card draw--nourish, 2 wraths, gnomish inventor), but I only got 6 wins out of it. Sometimes you just face ppl with really good decks (or ppl who get really lucky).

But I agree, I tend to do worse when I have some "Epic" card. Everyone aims to get some form of removal in arena--the more the better (usually), so investing so much in a legendary can be wasteful. I tend to do better when I have a lot of mid-range units and early units. The more expensive units tend to just use up an opponent's removal. For example, I ended up with big game hunter in my last arena run, and I got about 3-4 *good* uses of it out of my 9 games. Big units are kinda risky in arena overall unless they have a good battlecry.

Yeah I think arena queue matches you against people that have similar card quality as your deck. So it doesn't mean that if you get lucky in arena you will go 12 wins.

Level 17
Most epics, rares and legendaries are way too situational for arena. Good curve and value cards are things that win.
The deck you posted is good actually and has a good curve as well, the only "weak" cards are Rocketeer, Core Hound, Tauren Warrior and Ancient Mage really. (and Mark of Nature, well because it is trash)

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Most epics, rares and legendaries are way too situational for arena. Good curve and value cards are things that win.
The deck you posted is good actually and has a good curve as well, the only "weak" cards are Rocketeer, Core Hound, Tauren Warrior and Ancient Mage really. (and Mark of Nature, well because it is trash)

And Rocketeer and Core Hound won me about 80% of the games, even though they are trash. I am amazed by the deck and how beautiful is, having a good early, mid and late game. Its a deck I wouldn't have come up on my own.

But your point is very valid. Curve and value are more important than card power. It doesn't do bad if you got good cards too, but skill and luck are beyond card quality.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Part of it might also be that when you draft a weaker deck, you're unconsciously more careful about your plays.

Not for me. When drafting a strong deck, I often screw up because I either: don't want to lose my cool epic / legendary so it stays in my hand OR I want to get most value out of it so I wait for when the conditions are right.

With decks like this one I just play my stuff the moment I can and usually just piledrive my opponent because I play on curve and spend mana well.

Also the lack of removals makes very small amount of my cards dead in my hand.

Level 8
That's sort of what I'm trying to say. You're being to greedy by not playing the good cards. Maybe careful wasn't the right word, but the point is that you end up making misplays because of the good cards. I just play it on curve, unless it's extremely likely that it will get executed or something.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

That's sort of what I'm trying to say. You're being to greedy by not playing the good cards. Maybe careful wasn't the right word, but the point is that you end up making misplays because of the good cards. I just play it on curve, unless it's extremely likely that it will get executed or something.

Yeah careful isn't the word. Greedy and afraid to make a mistake are.

That's the rarity problem to a point, epic / legendary means you don't have it multiple times and thus, you are afraid to use it in a dumb way and thus wait, sometimes never using it,

Level 34
Actually Kripp is the only one I subscribe to, but I follow the Hearthstone Reddit to a small degree.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I dislike Kripp's voice and playstyle. I tried listening tohim but his way isn't my flavor.
I like and follow Trump and Reynad.

Level 34
I dislike Kripp's voice and playstyle. I tried listening tohim but his way isn't my flavor.
I like and follow Trump and Reynad.
That's funny because, while I respect him, I don't really like watching Reynad for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.