• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

C'Thun - Overpowered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
So I've been talking to a few people about the new cards and everyone seems pretty fixated on the fact that C'Thun and its followers are insanely overpowered, is this correct? My answer would be partly, are they better than they should be, yes, but are they as good as people seem to say they are, no. First of all lets deal with the elephant in the room, C'Thun.

TZLSA3O9AT4P1458070980016.gif
31114.gif

C'Thun is a very good card that is given a huge amount of bonus stats by his companions. By the time he is played his stats is generally speaking somewhere around 20/20. So you might ask what is his weakness, the fact that he costs 10 mana, C'Thun is always going to eat up your entire round and if played at the right time he will win you the game, but played at the wrong time and he'll loose the game for you. I win the majority of the games I play against C'Thun decks using this deck:

nTXBavm.png

C'Thun is a really good card but for him to be that good you also need to rely on him 110%, this means you pretty much have to sacrifice a lot of board control, this in turn can VERY easily be exploited with one card, Ysera the Dreamer! Ysera has proven more than once to be my lord and savior as she has won the game for me against C'Thun several times and mainly thanks to her, as well in no small part to her sister, Alexstrasza the Life-Binder I've won the majority of the games I've played against C'Thun decks. Ysera in particular is vital due to her amazing power to give you cards:

495.png
DREAM_03_premium.gif
116.gif

Yes as you can see she is fantastic because of two of her cards that she can give you at the end of every turn, Laughing Sister and Emerald Drake. If you by the time C'Thun is played have 3 other minions in play your opponent has basically lost, why you ask? Assume C'Thun is a 20/20 minion by this stage, it will deal 20 damage split over 5 targets, that's an average of 4 damage per target and your opponent just spent an entire turn playing it so by this time you will most likely have lethal damage. If you do not have lethal do not worry because I have one more trick up my sleeve, Mind Control!

122-1004217-gold-1391712934.png

Your adversary couldn't deal with Alexstrasza, definitely not Ysera so how in the crying name of cluster-fuck is he going to be able to deal with his own C'Thun? With this deck your only goal is to survive and if your enemy does not get an early lead on you I've found that you win pretty much all your games against C'Thun decks with my Priest deck. To summarize is C'Thun overpowered, a little, but here's the thing he has one HUGE weakness, Ysera.

What do you think, is C'Thun ridducolusly overpowered, or do you as me think that it is not truly that great if you just know how to play around it.

Oh and before I forget, All praise Ysera, she of the dreaming our lord and savior! All hail Ysera mightiest of the gods!

Time to play some dragons ;D

That is a good idea though. Ysera/Malygos are as sticky as ever--and with Ysera you get cards to boot.

I think one issue with C'thun is how easy it is to get him to 10 attack. You can easily get him there in the early game, and place those 4-5 mana cards that are buffed if C'thun has 10 attack (e.g. the 4 mana 4/10, I forget its name).

Other than that--you have to get a lot of board presence. Sadly, my spell-casty decks are getting pretty rekt by him. :( That priest deck looks really solid though. Sylvanas is a pretty good option too. I would consider her over Cairne or over 1 fen creeper since she is such a big threat. Do you think any of the new cards would play well into that deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.