• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Breaking the meta attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
These last 2 seasons there has been a extreme lack of priests in the current meta. I have been running hearthstone tracker. (there's a thread about that program if you want info) So I won 200 ranked games in 3 days and went from rank 20 to 4 at the start of this season. So I met 6 priests in total during all those games. This is my attempt to see how far I can go with a priest deck against the meta.

9e649c50a9e305f134b14cffc417ca28.png

Deck Goal:
Almost every deck in the current meta depends on some kind of one-shot combo like Leeroy + <spell card>. By playing control priest you hardly reach that low-ish HP that they need to finish you off. That's why almost every card in my deck has removal potential. This makes you wonder, well how the fuck do you plan to win games then? Velen/leeroy is the answer. I got a few late game finishers that I can use currently.

Leeroy + ysera buff card (optional) + faceless = 22 or 12 or damage
(pre placed) velen > 2x mind blast > 2x holy smite = 28 with the spells and 35 with Velen's attack
(pre placed) velen > faceless > mindblast 2x = 40 damage

There's also a RNG factor here, velen doubles EVERY damage spell. So if I thought steal fireball it deals 12 damage. So technically I can 2x fireball + mindblast = 34 damage

opinions on the deck, etc?

Last edited:
Pretty neat deck. I've played priest a bit as well. I don't have the proper cards on US, but on EU I went for a more-or-less standard injured blademaster/auchenai soulpriest/circle-of-healing based deck. It has decent win rates against zoo (and served me well in tournament #2), which is its biggest ally. But it is really a wear-and-tear deck.

Your deck looks pretty fun and good, but it seems iffy for early game potential. I imagine it is tough to face zoo. But stampeding kodo is a good choice, I should try to get him into a deck of mine. And amani berserkers are pretty fun. Sadly, they can be painful if you face another priest or someone with a kodo. Ouch. x.x

Velen is pretty strong though (nice vid). If he is left alive, the opponent is usually dead. He is kind of like a cheaper malygos, except Velen can be BGH'd.

But anyway, it seems like a pretty neat deck. If it got you that far, then congrats. I'll try to experiment a bit as well. How are harvest golems working for you? I considered adding them to mine, but it is tough to choose them due to them only having 2 attack.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I am a little short on cards these days else this deck would have been much better :p

sold sylvanas, black knight, illidan, gruul could have used a few of them. One more faceless etc. Either way, the original version of this deck ran some more taunts but I quickly noticed that almost every deck run black knight so I had to change tactic on that one. So basically I need an early game card with removal, there's no such card that I am aware of.

The harvest golem is mainly an unoffical taunt, they are commonly hated and therefore focused down buying me time to reach round 5 so I got my Holy Nova. It's also a neat silence bait, I don't want him to silence Velen/Ysera/Cairne.

I might add that the priest deck didn't take me to rank 4, I was playing murloc warlock at that time. I got into a losing streak as a got my 500 wins so I decided to test something else for the time being at least. I am still theory crafting with the deck so I am not too serious about the current rank of mine.

Level 34
I don't care for Ysera in this deck. Not a big fan of Rag either, but you do need some end game power.

I'd look at adding an injured blademaster since it helps put early pressure and force spells and hopefully drag the game out. The more spells they have to play, the less board control they can establish.

Rant: I am so sick of Leeroy. I don't have him, mostly because I don't have the dust, but also because I hate him. They always took out OTK cards or builds, but have left him for some reason. He is a lame, barely counterable card. So sick of it. But no hard feelings for using him here, if it's in the game use it. I just hope it gets nerf'd.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Raggy is considered to be rather OP atm, at least I haven't seen anyone said otherwise. Ysera kinda the same, the only problem is that it's likely that you can't play another card that round. I could replace her for sure, but I don't know with what.

That is something I will consider, I will gather some dust and try it out.

OP card indeed, problem is. If they nerf him sooo many decks will be ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.