• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Tooltip - Normal - Extended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
(1) Does anybody know what would cause the tool-tip of a spell to change mid-game? Like, I made a well thought and informative tool-tip but it changes randomly in-game to something like "_vlop" or "9@v92@" or other weird stuff.

1- What causes that?
2- How do I stop that?

To further clarify: this is a base spell for a trigger custom spell, but nothing in the triggers can cause the tool-tip to change. It's just a normal spell that bases damage upon a hero's attribute. Nothing to do with the tool-tips.

(2) If I put a Trigger:
  • Skip remaining actions
in a loop, does it skip the remaining actions in the loop only or in the rest of the trigger as well?
For example:

• For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Set QuickStrike_Random1 = (Random real number between 75.00 and 150.00)
      • Set QuickStrike_Random2 = (Random real number between 0.00 and 360.00)
      • Set QuickStrike_TargetLoc2 = (QuickStrike_TargetLoc1 offset by QuickStrike_Random1 towards QuickStrike_Random2 degrees)
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of Thrustsword using Abilities\Spells\Human\Banish\BanishTarget.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Animation - Change Thrustsword's animation speed to 200.00% of its original speed
      • Animation - Play Thrustsword's attack animation
      • Unit - Move Thrustsword instantly to QuickStrike_TargetLoc2, facing QuickStrike_TargetLoc1
      • Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage QuickStrike_Target, dealing (((Real(Caster_Agi)) x (((Real(QuickStrike_Level)) + 4.00) x 2.00)) / 6.00) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of QuickStrike_Target using Objects\Spawnmodels\Undead\UDeathSmall\UDeathSmall.mdl
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_QuickStrike_TargetLoc2)
      • Wait 0.33 seconds
      • Skip remaining actions
    • Unit - Move Thrustsword instantly to QuickStrike_CasterLoc, facing QuickStrike_TargetLoc1
    • Animation - Change Thrustsword's animation speed to 100.00% of its original speed
    • Unit - Turn collision for Thrustsword On
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_QuickStrike_TargetLoc1)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_QuickStrike_CasterLoc)
If I put a 'Skip remaining actions' trigger somewhere in the loop, does it just skip the actions in the loop or does it skip all the rest as well?

Level 8
Okay I got the trigger thingee....

About the screenshots I'm uploading them online now. They should be ready in a couple of minutes.

http://imgur.com/a/pmbTr

Oh dear God I forgot how to upload images to the hive.... so embarrassing.... can you see it this way?

What the spell tool-tip 'should' say: A concentrated surge of freezing energy bursts from the hero to attack one enemy dealing damage equals (Hero's Intelligence x 2), reducing their mana by (Hero's Intelligence x 1) and reducing their armor by 2.

Oh and in reply to Trigger Happy: No, it isn't normal at the start of the game either. It starts out wonkie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
Please do not double post. Use the edit button next time.

Anyway, can you give us the map? The only thing I want to steal from it is the system that allows the tooltip, I want to dissect that. Use the pastebin and send me the link in a PM if you want.

It's a map in a 16 MBs campaign. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to download that for a 7 line trigger. Anyways, this isn't a system or anything it's probably a bug. As I said before, I did nothing in the trigger to cause the tool-tip to change, and I don't want it to change.

Here's the Trigger for the spell:
  • Frostbite
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Frostbite
    • Actions
      • Set Frostbite_Level = (Level of Frostbite for (Casting unit))
      • Set MagicMastery_Level = (Level of Magic Mastery for (Casting unit))
      • Set Caster_Int = (Intelligence of (Casting unit) (Include bonuses))
      • Set Frostbite_Target = (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of Frostbite_Target using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
      • Unit - Set life of Frostbite_Target to ((Life of Frostbite_Target) - ((((Real(Frostbite_Level)) x 2.00) x (Real(Caster_Int))) + ((((Real(Frostbite_Level)) x 2.00) x (Real(Caster_Int))) x (((Real(MagicMastery_Level)) x 4.00) / 100.00))))
      • Unit - Set mana of Frostbite_Target to ((Mana of Frostbite_Target) - (((Real(Frostbite_Level)) x (Real(Caster_Int))) + (((Real(Frostbite_Level)) x (Real(Caster_Int))) x (((Real(MagicMastery_Level)) x 4.00) / 100.00))))
I really really want a solution to this... This would render the spell unusable for aesthetics and whatnot.

It has nothing to do with triggers, it's bugged object data. For some reason it reads variable memory, as far as I care, remove all imports and triggers and send me the whole campaign, I am pretty sure you can delete all triggers and it would still bug. I just want to see what it is and how it works, please. Yes, it's a bug, but so was return bug, and return bug made wc3 modding possible.

Level 19
it's autocast ability, and you didn't fill "Tooltip - autocast" data. Game doesn't check it's validness and blindly tries to read the memory around 0'th byte from game,dll point.

How to fix - fill autocast tooltip with anything, like " " 4 spaces, for instace

Level 8
Lol that worked! DracoL1ch is right. Thank you. It's fine now. It has a hideous empty line at the bottom of the tooltip but at least it says what the spell does now. Thanks really.

You still want the campaign, HappyTauren?

Status
Not open for further replies.