• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tides of Darkness v1.05

Reactions: rcshaggy
The latest version of an AoS-style map with some RPG elements by Unhit and zwaq, finished now, two years after the previous version and coming with many big changes to it, like a totally new terrain, a new item system and new heroes etc etc. Have fun playing, and if you liked it, please visit us on our forum at http://beam.to/tides =) also if you already knew the previous version(s) you will find the patchlogs etc there (which probably isn't too informative if you haven't played the map before).
So anyway, have fun playing it :)
Contents

Tides of Darkness v1.05 (Map)

Reviews
12:56, 5th Nov 2011 Vengeancekael: For those who still wanna play this, a user has fixed it for the newest patch: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/189022/

M

12:56, 5th Nov 2011
Vengeancekael: For those who still wanna play this, a user has fixed it for the newest patch:
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/189022/

Level 6
Hey,thanks for the positive comment :) (I didn't read it only now, just thought I'd reply).

Also thanks for these best wishes, but we are certainly experiencing one big problem at the moment: popularity. When I'm hosting the map public it's not such a big problem to get the server full, and when people find out I'm the creator I usually get good feedback. Only the overall amount of servers hosting ToD is small :(

Well anyway, just my randomg 50 cents :p

Level 1
I found the map very very enjoyable to play, but I'd never rehost it 'cause I don't support map protection. It slows down the development of the map making comunity as a whole because every new map maker has to learn everything from scratch. Imagine if every generation mankind had to start over from the stand point of running around butt ass naked in the woods killing rabbits with muddy sticks for survival. Good map though, game play wise.

Level 6
Allright, version 1.04 is released!

Here the changelog, for all those of who you are interested ;)

TIDES OF DARKNESS VERSION 1.04 CHANGES

GENERAL
=======
- New hero available for the Alliance of Lordaeron: the Paladin.
- New hero available for the Horde: the Troll Shaman.
- New upgrades available: the caster upgrade (3 levels) increases the power of all unit spells (Slow, Heal, Courage, Howl of Terror, Bloodlust).
- Decreased all hero collizion sizes to 31. This might cause some graphical glitches, but it makes pathing a lot easier.
- Town heroes are now slightly stronger.
- Durotan is now a melee hero as well.
- Uther and Durotan now have less bounty.
- Players can now pick a random hero of their team.
- Increased all units' attack speeds by roughly 10%.
- Drastically decreased item cooldowns (at shops).
- Changed the Shadow Counciller's voiceset.
- The Demonlord's Firestorm is now called Firerain.
- Changed the Mage's Immolation icon.
- Path of Fire is now a spell which can be activated and deactivated and drains mana if actviated.
- The Mentalist's Mind Control is now an ability which can be activated and deactivated and will drain mana while active. Also, it now summons 3 spirits on level 1 and 5 on level 2 and the experience gain for posessing enemy units has been drastically decreased.
- Shops now have more potions in store and restore them faster than before.
- Defensive and Empowering Potions now cost 200, up from 170.
- Defensive Potion now increases armor by 10, up from 5.
- Empowering Potion now increases damage by 50%, up from 25%.
- The "Best Player" and "Strongest Opponent" are no longer determined by their bounty at the end of the game, but by a new value, their score. To see your current score, you can type -score. Score is determined by killed units (depending on their level), killed heroes (depending on their level), and killed buildings (depending on their kind).
- Gnoll Boots and Guardian Boots now grant more movement speed bonus.
- There's a variety of new character-inspecific items. The objective of these items is to lower the immense character-class-caused differences. For example, all classes can now purchase boots which increase their movement speed. However, the boni of these items are always lower than the class-specific ones, and their prize is higher. Some of the new items can be purchased at the camps' shops, some only at the central town.
- The Assassins' shop now sells Gloves of Agility, Gauntlets of Strength, and Healing and Mana Potions.
- The camps' shops no longer sell Gloves of Agility or Gauntlets of Strength. Instead, they now sell Caps and Light Boots.
- Tweaked attack and cast ranges of ranged and casting units of the town in order to lower the risk of units blocking whole paths.
- Removed all hotkeys of permanent items to prevent accidental purchasing and because their use wasn't too great anyway, at least lesser than problems caused by accidental purchase. Charged items (potions, teleportation staff) still have hotkeys.
- Setitems now have slightly higher drop chances.
- Khadgar's Robe now adds 10 armor (5) and 150 mana (100).
- Ner'Zhul's Staff's nuke now deals 150 damage, up from 100.
- Lothar's Helmet is now a unique item only available for warrior heroes.
- New unique item for all classes: Windrunner Ring
- New unique item for caster heroes: Smolderas' Firestone
- New unique item for ranger heroes: Alleria's Gloves
- The banners around the important buildings (Castle, Altar, Workshop) are now structures with 10 hit points.
- Changed the icon for the Dwarven General's Command Aura.
- Enchanted sand duration is now 15, up from 10, and area of effect is now 500, up from 450.
- Mithril Plate now absorbs 2 damage less.
- Caster Heroes now deal more damage against Warrior Heroes.
- Normal damage now deals less damage against fortified armor.
- Courage and Howl of Terror no longer affect heroes.
- Creep camps no longer respawn if a hero is nearby.

BUGS
====
- Alchemist facing after pick is now correct.
- Kil'Mond's fire nova no longer damages himself nor (to him) friendly units.
- Changed the Amok hotkey to K.
- Tweaked the Sorceress' animations, they should now look more smoothly.
- Fixed a bug which could cause the leaderboard to be bugged if the game was laggy in the beginning.
- Dark Portal tooltip is now correct.
- Corrected the Mage's pick info.
- Fragmentation Shards cooldown on lvl 5 is now correct (15 seconds).
- Fixed the Trace buff tooltip.
- Chests can no longer gain set boni.
- Fixed a bug which dropped the wrong foot switch when the Executor of Chaos was picked.
- Fountain Upgrade now correctly upgrades fountains.
- Fixed a bug that made ogre strength not level correctly.
- Fixed a bug with Lightning Shield and Stormy Blow.
- Stealth can no longer be activated while stunned.

BALANCE
=======
- Some heroes now have a slightly increased movement speed.
- Haste attack speed bonus is now 15/30/45/60/75% (10/20/30/40/50 for the decoy), up from 10/20/30/40/50 (8/16/24/32/40), but manacost is now 50/50/60/75/75, up from 50 on all levels.
- Strafe now deals 10 more damage on all levels.
- Trueshot attack range bonus is now 40/80/120, up from 25/50/75 and damage bonus is now 4/8/12, up from 3/6/9.
- Archer attack range is now 550 at the beginning, down from 600.
- The Dwarven General's tank now has less hit points on all levels.
- If the Dwarven General's tank explodes while the tank transports the General, the General will be dizzy for 7 seconds (his movement speed is slowed for 50% and he has a 50% chance to miss an attack).
- Command Aura damage bonus is now 10/15/20/25/30 %, down from 10/18/25/33/40.
- The Mage's Inferno now deals 450 damage, up from 350, but damages friendly units too.
- Path of Fire now deals 25 damage.
- New ability for the mage: Firestorm instead of Fireshield.
- The Demon Lord, the Wraith and the Mentalist are no longer classified as Undead, but as Demons and can therefore no longer be healed by Ner'Zhul's staff, but they can be attacked with it.
- Troll Huntsman movement speed is now 300, up from 270.
- Trace now lasts 15/30/50/75/100 seconds, up from 16/22/28/34/40.
- Breath of Fire cooldown is now 20, down from 25, and mana cost is now 100, down from 125 on all levels.
- Breath of Fire now deals 20 damage per second more on each level, but no longer damages units behind the primary target.
- Ogre Rage hit point drain per second is now 10 on all levels, down from 26/22/18/14/10.
- Ogre Rage now increses attack speed by 25/50/75/100/125%, up from 20/40/60/80/100%.
- Poison Nova now lasts for 20 seconds, up from 15, and therefore deals up to 150 damage more.
- Unstable Concoction now deals 100/140/180/220/260 damage, up from 80/110/140/170/200, but mana cost is now 60/70/80/85/90, up from 60 on all levels.
- Nature's Force cooldown is now 150/120, up from 120/90.
- Alchemist base agility is now 19, up from 15.
- Impaling lance now stuns for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds, up from 1 on all levels.
- Stealth now drains 20 mana per second on all levels, up from 20/15/10.
- Stealth now has a transition time on level 1 and 2 (this means the assassin will become visible for a short time when attacking/casting a spell).
- Stream of Souls now deals 40 damage, but no longer damages buildings.
- Skeletal Mastery now also increases the Shadow Counciller's skeletons' hitpoints by 50 on each level.
- Changed an ability for the Mortar Team: Improved Ammunition no longer adds attack damage, but now deals area of effect damage.
- The Windmaster now gains .75 strength per level, up from .5, and .75 agility, down from 1.
- Cyclone now stuns and damages the tossed unit after it falls down.
- Tornado now deals 50 damage against units and 40 against buildings per second, up from 30.
- Windwalk transition time is now 1.5 seconds, down from 2.5.
- Avalanche now deals 15 damage more per wave on all levels, and the cooldowns on level 1-3 have been decreased.
- Illusions now last 45 seconds, up from 30.
- Illusion cooldown is now 1, down from 3.
- Void now additionaly restores Mana to the Mentalist.
- New ability for the Mortar Team: Dwarven Mine instead of Explosive Ammunition.
- New ability for the Barbarian: Rage instead of Switch Weapons.
- Servants of Chaos now grant the enemy more experience and attack slightly slower.
- Demon Storm cooldown is now 60 seconds on level 1 (up from 45) and 45 on level 2 (up from 30).

Level 6
Thanks for both the comments, the great compliment and the hint! :) I am well aware of the fact because "unfortunately", this map also used handles. I'll try to fix it once I've got time to do so and once BEER BEER, which has higher priority due to the higher popularity, is fixed.

Level 6
Hey there! Yeah, unfortunately our webspace provider has suddenly had troubles or whatever and all our online contents (forum and blog, also with all the news about BEER BEER) was gone. As I did not expect this possibility, there was no backup. Also, as you mentioned, unfortunately that one big patch with the handles also made this map unplayable, but maybe there will be a fix to come, or a new version of it for WarCraft IV ;)
Thanks for your feedback and message on the map page anyway, even so many years after the first upload!

Level 5
I got this version of map repaired ... i took my name into the credits for now and gave credits for the original map making i hope people will enjoy again this map ... more ... soon ... i will repair BEER BEER map also wich had a 5/5 rating of 5 . Heres the link to the repaired version http://www.epicwar.com/maps/189022/ the map is protected for a faster loading and because of .slk imported scripts to make it move faster and load faster . Optimized with vexorian's optimizer . Have Fun !

Level 5
On request i will post the unprotected version ... open source for anyone who loves the map to continue it !
Things to be done : 1.rework the .slk files for faster movement and avoiding lagging gameplay for some of the players . 2. add new features !
Have Fun and post here a comment if you want the unprotected version or add [email protected] . Have Fun !

Level 6
Wow, switchtotems, somehow I only noticed your posts now and didn't get an e-mail-information. I can't express how honoured I feel. I will have a look at your fixed version as soon as possible. Wow, just wow. Thank you so much for your effort!

Level 6
Hey there, thanks for your comment! I have recently become very hyped about WC3 again due to the announcement for the new patch. Once it is live, I will try to get back into the WorldEditor (probably my coding skill has become fairly rusty since) and aim to update my other map, BEER BEER, first. However, with the new map size limits etc., I am also tempted to update this map, if I do find the time. For now, please know that there is a playable version of this map (without the return bug) made some years ago by another mapper, independent of me originally knowing about it. It does have some minor bugs, but mostly works. If you like, I can send it to you (don't recall the name right now, but I can find it/look it up). Please send me a PM/message in that case!

Cheers! :)