• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Thing v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Based on the movie "John Carpenter's The Thing".

There are 11 players. One of them is a shape-shifting alien. The alien is trying to kill all the humans, and the humans are trying to kill the alien. Only problem is, the humans don't know who the alien is. The alien could be anybody. The Thing can assume the identity of a dead person in player color AND IN CHAT MESSAGES.

Be careful who you trust.

The map is unprotected, but only for learning purposes. I've seen all too often a good map get bastardized by new authors (cough Pyramid Escape cough).

There are currently 5 items in the map (I will add more when I have time):
- Knife (boosts damage)
- Shield (boosts armor)
- Blood test kit (75% accurate in determining if someone is the thing)
- Machine gun (shoots stuff...)
- Flamethrower (...again... it shoots stuff)

The thing cannot take on all the humans at once, it must use it's wit to try to fool the other players, pick them off one by one when they're alone.

The thing can change colors to anyone who has died at any time. I once carried on a whole conversation all by myself between two dead players. It worked.

You need a large group of people to play this map (8 at the very minimum for a fun game), otherwise the game is really short and it doesn't take long to figure out who is the thing.

The game auto-restarts so you don't have to go through the annoying re-hosting process.

I will add screenshots when I get a bit of free time.

Keywords:
The Thing, John Carpenter, murderer, alien, monster, creature, parasite, shapeshifter, shape-shifter, shape shifter, GraphicsKid, LazyCoder
Contents

The Thing v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
09:41, 7th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 22
I haven't encountered any lag problems whatsoever when playing the game online. Yea the triggers leak, but it doesn't have that much of an effect in this map. Terrain is bad yes, I'm bad at terrains.

Well you see, even if it's your first map, it must not have bad terrain and have leaks, hive is for good and completed maps ;

-vote for rejected until updated

Level 8
WTF? It works perfectly fine. I have been mapping for a long time. Have you even played the map before you decided to vote it rejected? The terrain isn't THAT bad, I've seen much worse stuff on the hive.

EDIT: The only leaks are the ones that come with using GUI. I could convert all the triggers to JASS, but really??? Most maps on here are pure GUI anyways!

Level 10
Eh I like the idea, haven't tried it yet, I will though. From taking a look at it, yeah, it has leaks, you should fix them. Look up how on the forums or tutorials. Also, the terrain needs improvement. I'll hold off rating for now.

Level 4
Hiya Lazycoder, you might remember me as Faiien_Angei during one of your beta tests (you probably don't remember me :D, but I forgive you).

The terrain and the leaks in the triggers should be your top priority in creating this map. Good luck! Hope this map gets approved!

Level 8
I'm working on the terrain and I'll get to the leaks later. The snow area will now completely surround the complex rather than just be on the left, and there is now a basement area.

What areas of the terrain do you mean it needs to be better in? As in add more doodads? Or what? Because outside in the snow in a blizzard... there's no variety, it's all snow, even having a river there is all wrong.

About the leaks, I'll get to those when I can, but that's going to be a lot of repair work, and I don't have too much free time to devote to this right now.

EDIT: I'm just going to convert it to pure JASS (get rid of those damned BJs) while I get rid of the leaks. It's just such a pain in the ass to have to remember Blizzard's naming conventions and constantly having to refer to the blizzard.j file.

Level 6
Mass Purging Template Version 4.0
Rejection

Reason for not approving:

After that awesome ban feature I really wanted to approve this.
You can't be banned from your map. Brilliant.! :D
although, you have leaks :/
AND your terrain could use lots of work, especially outside.