• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Spellmaker's Toolkit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
--Cancel this, public support was overwhelmingly negative.

Last edited:
Level 19
I believe there have been some idea of including the most used libraries and like integrate it into JNGP or something...

Maybe.. The only issues I can see with this are

1) Might confuse noobs
2) If its built in without being revealed in the trigger editor than updates may be hard

I think it'll be better

I suppose so, its not looping if there isn't any effects.

@Nestharus (wont let me mq your post) IMHO by the time someone learns how to use either of those, they will already have written what that system does + not using them is better for readability.

Level 19
Shall I suggest my Fear System in order to have unique status effect xD ?
There is timed handle which is pretty good by TriggerHappy.

Do you have TimerUtils ? Can be useful too

I already have CTL, not sure if we need TimedHandle. As far as "fear" goes, I only want to add a status effect system if its all status effects + support for custom ones. (slow, stun, fear, web, dazed, etc.) I'd also include Bonus but not untill LUA gets remade

Level 19
Didn't understand what do you mean about fear and status effect ?
Oh you give me an idea I'll do a library with every status effect ^^

I mean like a way to apply any blizzard buff (slow stun web etc,) along with user defined buffs and buff tracking/stacking

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
The problem with suggesting a globally recognized and suggested resource for something like projectiles is:

• There are a huge amount of variables to projectiles - homing, acceleration, pathing, can effect multiple units, uses 3d arc, interaction with other projeciles, can hit destructables, maximum distance, maximum time, air friction (cheap or expensive?), ground friction, does the projectile need to respect changes in terrain heightmap, etc etc
  • A resource that works ideally for its given variables is essentially worthless for all other cases
  • A resource that supports all the named variables will be extremely bloated and inefficient and/or with an extremely complex API

The same goes for knockback systems. Take a look at knockback3d - the system you linked. It's a great system if it's exactly what your looking for, for your whole map, because its very efficient and fast. But if you want to make a unit jump to a target point? If you want to throw a unit and have it stop when it lands, but support knocking back units in 2D as well? Your mileage will vary.

From the list you made, I only use Error. Everything else I either write myself in an ad-hoc manner, or use a different version (eg Vexorian's Table)

If you want to teach someone to use a global standalone spell toolkit, teach them wurst. (Not that I use wurst myself)

Level 19
I didn't understand the

JASS:
globals
    constant integer BUFF_FEAR = 0
endglobals

Buff.define(BUFF_FEAR, function fearPeriodic) where fearPeriodic runs 1/32 for every unit with the buff)
Buff.getUnitBuff(u).getDuration() // getStart() // getSource() // ...

just some ideas.

The problem with suggesting a globally recognized and suggested resource for something like projectiles is:

• There are a huge amount of variables to projectiles - homing, acceleration, pathing, can effect multiple units, uses 3d arc, interaction with other projeciles, can hit destructables, maximum distance, maximum time, air friction (cheap or expensive?), ground friction, does the projectile need to respect changes in terrain heightmap, etc etc
  • A resource that works ideally for its given variables is essentially worthless for all other cases
  • A resource that supports all the named variables will be extremely bloated and inefficient and/or with an extremely complex API

The same goes for knockback systems. Take a look at knockback3d - the system you linked. It's a great system if it's exactly what your looking for, for your whole map, because its very efficient and fast. But if you want to make a unit jump to a target point? If you want to throw a unit and have it stop when it lands, but support knocking back units in 2D as well? Your mileage will vary.

I think your misinterpreting the point of this. For the developers, you keep this toolkit in your map and whenever you need an asset, its right there, you don't need to go to google and dig for it, install it and its dependencies, etc. For consumers, you dont have to go through the tedious import process for all of its dependencies, just simple cut and paste the script code, it also helps alleviate duplication of similar resources.

As far as your system goes, idk i just chose the first one I found. Extra functions may be added that would dumb it down if you didn't need specific features.

From the list you made, I only use Error. Everything else I either write myself in an ad-hoc manner, or use a different version (eg Vexorian's Table)

For one, this would help conformity for your resource with other resources. Instead of people like you (no offense intended) coding through the old resources and other people coding using the later resources, everyone codes off of the same root and there's no collision.

If you want to teach someone to use a global standalone spell toolkit, teach them wurst. (Not that I use wurst myself)

lol wurst.

Level 14
JASS:
globals
    constant integer BUFF_FEAR = 0
endglobals

Buff.define(BUFF_FEAR, function fearPeriodic) where fearPeriodic runs 1/32 for every unit with the buff)
Buff.getUnitBuff(u).getDuration() // getStart() // getSource() // ...

These kinds of things are extremely restrictive. For example this buffsystem is just shit for some purposes (no offense to whoever wrote it). I dont really see a point in throwing all these things together if most people use only very few of these systems.

lol wurst.
lol your face.

No really, i dont think this whole "one toolbox for all your spell needs" toolbox works out. Maybe its a good idea to provide this along with some tutorials (about how to use these systems in synergy) for people who are new to jass spell triggering, as some sort of "beginner package". Many new ppl have the problem that there are way too many systems available and they have no idea where to start, so this would be a nice thing.

Level 19
Those are completly different tools, (if CTL means Constant Timer Loop 32 for you).

Also having CTL doesn't replace TimerUtils, TimerTools could though.

dayum they are desperate for mods.

that sentence was in response to two seperate questions

Status
Not open for further replies.