• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Siege of Barad-dûr V.1.1.c

Reactions: deepstrasz
Description

This is my first cinematic I've ever made and I am quite happy with my result. The map is about "The Siege of Barad-dûr", when the last alliance attack Mordor to destroy them once for all. After a hard and tough battle Sauron was defeated, by Isildur, and lose his ring.

I have made all voices in the cinematic myself and Saurons voice is the only one I edited in a program (cause it sucked ^^).

Credits:
olofmolem
Miseracor
General Frank
Hueter
Happy Tauren
FrIkY
Amigurumi
jatter2
Kitabatak
Tenebrae
Illidan(Evil)X
Cloudwolf
ahtiandr
RED_BARON

More about the credits after the cinematic.

Enjoy, I hope u like it!

V.1.0 ~ First public release wich include several changes after comments.
V.1.1 ~ Improved the first battlescene, changed the Gondor units model and made some minor stuff.
V.1.1.b ~ Minor improvements made, some changes in terrain and some camera views etc.
V1.1.c ~ Changed the skin of the Elf Warrior and fixed the Loadingscreen and the Minimap image.

Keywords:
Lord of the rings, sauron, ring, power, fight, awesome, epic, dead, weapon, sword, archer, shield, voice, music
Contents

The Siege of Barad-dûr V.1.1.c (Map)

Reviews
21:47, 24th Sep 2009 ap0calypse: Approved Not exactly a perfect replica of LOTR, but face it: that's almost impossible. Good job. Update: Re-moderating with reviews and rating! Date: 2011/Oct/15 11:58:35 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status...

M

21:47, 24th Sep 2009
ap0calypse: Approved

Not exactly a perfect replica of LOTR, but face it: that's almost impossible.
Good job.
Update: Re-moderating with reviews and rating!
hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/15 11:58:35
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rating: 2/5 Lacking
Rep Received: 0
Reasons:
Other:
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: Reviews:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1297497-post24.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1304694-post30.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1292679-post7.html

Rating: (2+2+2)/3 = 2/5

Warning: If you have not watched the cinematic yet, then don't read this!
My Review:(Version 1.0)

My Ratings Value:
5/5 for Perfect
4/5 for Really Good
3/5 for Good
2/5 for Fair
1/5 for Bad
0/5 for Horrible
For Overall Rating:
15 - 20 for Perfect
10 - 15 for Really Good
05 - 10 for Bad
00 - 05 for Horrble

Story:-
Quests:-
Combat:4.5/5, The Combat was Acceptable, yet maybe make the orc units die faster,Maybe add some special effects etc.
Sounds/effects/skills:4/5, There was voice acting, yet i think you need to find more people.There is also Lotr music.
Terrain:2/5,The terrain needs a lot of improvements.
Text:3/5,Well....You need to change some of the texts, like saurons text+rework his voice, it was really horrible(no offense) and reduce the text duration,they just stay too long.
Overall:13.5/20, I was surprised by the cinematic and its your first one. Still it needs a lot of improvements! Vote for approval! Good luck!

Last edited:
Level 16
Warning:If u have not watched the cinematic yet,then dont read this!
My Review:(In my Opinion)

My Ratings Value:
5/5 for Perfect
4/5 for Really Good
3/5 for Good
2/5 for Fair
1/5 for Bad
0/5 for Horrible
For Overall Rating:
15 - 20 for Perfect
10 - 15 for Really Good
05 - 10 for Bad
00 - 05 for Horrble

Combat:3/5,The Combat was Acceptable,yet maybe make the orc units die faster.
Sounds/effects/skills:4/5,There was voice acting,yet i think you need to find more people.There is also Lotr music.
Terrain:2/5,The terrain needs alot of improvements.
Gameplay/Fun factor3/5,Maybe add some special effects etc.
Text:3/5,Well....You need to change some of the texts,like saurons text+rework his voice,it was really horrible(no offense) and reduce the text duration,they just stay too long.
Overall:15/20,I was surprised by the cinematic and its your first one.Still it needs alot of improvements!Vote for approval!Good luck:thumbs_up:

Thx for the review! I know the terrain sux but I dunno really what 2 add, but I shall see what I can do.

Sorry then ;P
But what`s wrong with it?

I have no idea, try urself 2 upload a map, there is no place where u write ur name... I dunno whats wrong with the minimap img either...

Level 18
I have no idea, try urself 2 upload a map, there is no place where u write ur name...
Author name is written in World Editor -> Your Map -> Scenario -> Map Description (or something like that (I have other language version, so I`m guessing how is it in english (it`s first in scenario))) ;P

Level 13
Level 9
Wait, Dagorlad was a plain.. And I'm sure it wasn't that close to Barad'Dur, since the battlefield later became the swamp that the Hobbits and Gollum traverse to reach Mordor.

Level 9
Anyways, good work so far. You're right though, it was very close to the Gate. Dagorlad was actually the last major battle before the battle with Sauron. So +1 for you! (+Rep!)

Level 9
Ok i have just watched that cinematic and think that it is very well done although the terrain looks nothing like in the movie (but close enough).

I have noticed something: when Sauron kills those soldiers, half of them die in mid-air and remain there blocking the view.

Also if you have a model of the Ring you should make it drop from him when he dies

Anyway i will give your cinematic: 1 for terrain, 2 for the battle and its effects and 1 for the music and sounds. overalll: 4/5:thumbs_up:

Level 16
Anyways, good work so far. You're right though, it was very close to the Gate. Dagorlad was actually the last major battle before the battle with Sauron. So +1 for you! (+Rep!)

Ha ha, thx!

Ok i have just watched that cinematic and think that it is very well done although the terrain looks nothing like in the movie (but close enough).

If u have any suggestions wich ground texure I should use, then pllz share.

I have noticed something: when Sauron kills those soldiers, half of them die in mid-air and remain there blocking the view.

Yeah, sometimes that happens, around 20 % of the times so u had bad luck ;) Dunno how to fix it really, I could increase the range the units fly, so u cant see them anymore.

Also if you have a model of the Ring you should make it drop from him when he dies

I have thought of that, maybe in a later version.

Anyway i will give your cinematic: 1 for terrain, 2 for the battle and its effects and 1 for the music and sounds. overalll: 4/5:thumbs_up:

Thx for comment and raitings!

Level 5
Warning:If u have not watched the cinematic yet,then dont read this!
My Review:(In my Opinion)

My Ratings Value:
5/5 for Perfect
4/5 for Really Good
3/5 for Good
2/5 for Fair
1/5 for Bad
0/5 for Horrible
For Overall Rating:
15 - 20 for Perfect
10 - 15 for Really Good
05 - 10 for Bad
00 - 05 for Horrble

Combat:3/5,The Combat was Acceptable,yet maybe make the orc units die faster.
Sounds/effects/skills:4/5,There was voice acting,yet i think you need to find more people.There is also Lotr music.
Terrain:2/5,The terrain needs alot of improvements.
Gameplay/Fun factor3/5,Maybe add some special effects etc.
Text:3/5,Well....You need to change some of the texts,like saurons text+rework his voice,it was really horrible(no offense) and reduce the text duration,they just stay too long.
Overall:15/20,I was surprised by the cinematic and its your first one.Still it needs alot of improvements!Vote for approval!Good luck:thumbs_up:

xD, you're "system" is stupid, five time you gave X/5 points, and overall you just gave X/20 and not of 25 oO can't you count dude?^^

Level 28
For some reason, you've used the action "Trigger - Run Camera 19 <gen> (ignoring conditions)" at map init (perhaps because you just added the credits and wanted to test them without showing the entire cinematic).
Because of this, it skips the entire cinematic, people who suck at mapping (and my guess is that there are quite a few of them) do not know how to change that...
The overall triggering isn't good, but I think you are well aware of that.

The camera was too static for me, you moved the camera, paused for a while, moved it again ... - in LOTR, the camera almost constantly moves.
The terrain also didn't seem exactly right... there was something missing (I don't know what, though) and the sky didn't seem right as well.

Sauron's attack is a bit buggy (as seen in the screeny below, 2 foomen are floating in mid-air), you should either ask amigurumi to fix it, or fix it yourself.
The rest of the battle is shortened by a bit... doesn't really matter, though.

For a first cinematic, it definitely isn't bad, though it really needs some improvements.

screenyb.jpg

Level 16
For some reason, you've used the action "Trigger - Run Camera 19 <gen> (ignoring conditions)" at map init (perhaps because you just added the credits and wanted to test them without showing the entire cinematic).
Because of this, it skips the entire cinematic, people who suck at mapping (and my guess is that there are quite a few of them) do not know how to change that...

Damn, I thought I changed that... It's the second time I've made like that...

The overall triggering isn't good, but I think you are well aware of that.

Yeah, I know. I was first just doing the cinematic for test, but I thought it began to be pretty good (for beeing made by me), thats why I uploaded it. But I was to lazy to fix all triggers, maybe for my next cinematic ;)

The camera was too static for me, you moved the camera, paused for a while, moved it again ... - in LOTR, the camera almost constantly moves.

Point to u. Some things a changed now

The terrain also didn't seem exactly right... there was something missing (I don't know what, though) and the sky didn't seem right as well.

I know, and I dont know what to really add either. I am not so good with terrains, if u have any ideas so pllz share!

Sauron's attack is a bit buggy (as seen in the screeny below, 2 foomen are floating in mid-air), you should either ask amigurumi to fix it, or fix it yourself.
The rest of the battle is shortened by a bit... doesn't really matter, though.

I think it's fixed now, it didn't bugged when I tried it again.

For a first cinematic, it definitely isn't bad, though it really needs some improvements.

Thx for comment! It is updated again, with minor things I've fixed...

Btw, do u know why my minimap img won't come up here on hive?

Level 28
Yeah, I know. I was first just doing the cinematic for test, but I thought it began to be pretty good (for beeing made by me), thats why I uploaded it. But I was to lazy to fix all triggers, maybe for my next cinematic ;)
In cinematics like this, it won't do much... it's just so other people who check your map and just started triggering won't learn triggering the way you did it :)

I know, and I dont know what to really add either. I am not so good with terrains, if u have any ideas so pllz share!
I'm not a good terrainer either, but I've watched the battle again (unfortunately in low quality, since I've lend my DVD-box to someone else :( ) and when the humans enter the battlefield, there are dark gray, huge rocks in the background and I think the Fogged Sky at midnight would be best, it looks the most like the original scene...
When they are a little further, they come across a huge cliff (with archers on top of it).

When the battle actually starts and the orcs rush into the elves, the terrain is a big wave (it starts high, then goes lower and rises again), so you get an huge wave of units and a good overview.
There's a small hill in the back to the right and the background is hard to see.

I know, I'm not a good terrainer, but this is how it looks like for me ^^
The terrain has to be plain... there's only rough dirt near Barad-dûr.

screenyk.jpg

This is the original screeny of it...
dagorlad1.jpg

Ohh, also a thick grey fog would be best (liniair fog that starts at 0 and goes up to something high with color 64, 64, 64 or something).

Btw, do u know why my minimap img won't come up here on hive?
Instead of "War3mapMap.tga", use "War3mapPreview.tga", I believe this will solve it ^^

Do not read this if u have not seen the cine yet!
The cinematic is really messed up now:
1.When i clicked Esc,then i was allowed to control the units and etc.
2.You dont need to place a unit for galadriel,just use the trigger transmission from unit type.
3.There was no sound/music when sauron was fighting.
4.You have improved the terrain,yet u could do more on it^^
5.the ending is weird,the guy kills sauron and after the explosion,is it like this:*camera directly to the tower**victory sound* "sauron....."Maybe make the camera go to that spot over X seconds,not directly and remove the victory sound,it doesnt fit right.

Level 16
Here are the answers of ur comments!

1. Well, I added that cause of n00bs who wants to turn of the cinematic. But if u wanna move the units, have fun ;)
2. But this was easier, I am to lazy 2 change it if it hasn't any diffrence in the cinematic.
3. I maybe will add it later. It should be like that for now.
4. I know, well I am still working on it!
5. They are doing like that in the movie, but I maybe will add a scene between those later.
Are u talking about the "Game Found" sound that's playing at the end when u see Sauron's eye? I think it fits perfect, sorry ;)

Thanks for comments! +rep

Level 31

Choppy camera movement was clearly because you did 2 mistake

1) Using wait action which are inaccurate.
2) Did not set camera accordingly.

You should not set it this way.

Move to Camera 1 for x seconds
Wait 5 seconds
Move to Camera 2 for x seconds

The right way to set it should be like this.

Trigger 1 - Move to Camera 1 for 5 seconds

Trigger 2 - Move to Camera 1 for 0 seconds
Move to Camera 2 for 5 seconds

In order to have the cinematic running without using a single wait action, the best option is to use countdown timer or real variable. Then again scripting a cinematic at GUI while at the same time getting a precise timing was pretty sucks and time comsumption.

==================================================================================================

Edit : Ok, today my computer graphic was finally fix. Now is to review it.

This cinematic map is brought to you by Jack_Sparrow93 where the story is about "The Siege of Barad-dur".

To begin with, the description of this cinematic at hiveworkshop site was far lacking although it does gives a credit to those resources he

use. The main reason why the description was lacking and uninteresting is because the synopsis does not provide enough information apart from

a single sentence written "battle where Sauron was defeated, by Isildur, and where he lost his ring."

This kind of message look dull and discouraging as it could encourage people not to watch it at all. You could improve the description of

this cinematic in variety way such as adding screenshot in hidden tag and make the synopsis more interesting. If you want to know how to make

a good synopsis, go find any new movies that are coming to your cinema and read how they wrote synopsis.

Next comes the terrain, the terrain height was poorly set at some specific point as I could have seen they are way too smooth.

As for the camera setting, I have to say it was extremely poor and would gives the audience a complete headache shall the cinematic duration was long. The camera movement was soo choppy due to poor triggering and there is a constant use of instant switch all the time. Frequent switching instead of moving the camera kill the joy of watching it.

Next comes the triggering, the triggering was very badly done as there is many lacking setup and errors.

For example, I notice you set your camera this way.

• Camera - Apply Camera 002 <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 0.00 seconds
  • Wait 1.00 seconds
  • Camera - Apply Camera 002 Copy <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 7.50 seconds
This is a wrong way of setting the camera and it should be like this.

• Camera - Apply Camera 002 <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 0.00 seconds
  • Camera - Apply Camera 002 Copy <gen> for Player 1 (Red) over 7.50 seconds
Infact, you set the wait duration soo long that after a character was finish talking; there is about 2-3 seconds pause before the other character was doing the talk.

Ambient sound did not turn off as well, you need a custom script to turn off the ambient sound. To know why it was necessary to trigger ambient instead of letting it loose, read Infrane tutorial of cinematic making.

As for the battle scene, it was certainly a thumb down. To be brutally honest, it is 2 thumb down especially from those who are hardcore fans of battle cinematic because this battle cinematic was really dissappointing.

All I see from the battle scene was just a hack and slash scene with waiting syndrome. If this cinematic was watch by those people who loves battle cinematic, you would certainly get a good bashing for making the battle scene extremely dull.

Overall, the quality of this cinematic was lacking and need a drastic improvement especially at battle scene because that is the climax point of this cinematic and yet was poorly done to appease the audience. However, this resources does not violate any submission rules and was at acceptable level.

As for now, my vote is 2/5 (Lacking) and vote for approval.

What need to be improve?

1) Triggering
2) Timing
3) Battle scene
4) Camera

Last edited:
Best thing is that this map is invisible in my wc3, as it would not be there :)
First solution:
Have u the latest patch?
Second solution:Rename the file's name to a shorter one.
Edit:Hmm you updated it, will check it now^^ah your doing the same mistake again, rename the file name, its too big.
Edit 2:Alright im done:1 big flaw i noticed:After that Hero(forgot the name), killed sauron then he suddenly disappered.And also, there is no sound or music when saurons killing off those footmen.

Last edited:
Level 10
just replaced the footmen with gondor soldiers?
1st: the soldiers that the men had during defeating Sauron was different with the Gondor Soldiers right now. you can change the color like this: R: 225, G: 190, B: 45-60
2nd: Barad'dur was constructed after Sauron's defeat, when Mordor catched Gollum.
Also the terrain is a bit . . . you know.

Level 4
just replaced the footmen with gondor soldiers?
1st: the soldiers that the men had during defeating Sauron was different with the Gondor Soldiers right now. you can change the color like this: R: 225, G: 190, B: 45-60
That sounds like excessive tinting (therefore most likely ugly), and I don't see the purpose.

2nd: Barad'dur was constructed after Sauron's defeat, when Mordor catched Gollum.
False.

Level 28
why false, there wasn't both eye of sauron and sauron him self at the same time.

When Sauron forged the one ring, he also built Barad-dûr, not with his eye on top of it, of course, but it was his fortress.
In the last great war, barad-dûr was being seiged for years, until Sauron's body died (this happens in this cinematic, so barad-dûr was indeed there).

Level 16
why false, there wasn't both eye of sauron and sauron him self at the same time.

No but sauron died before I showed the eye ;) And this scene with the eye could be some thousends of years after Sauron died. I dunno when the eye was created but my cinematic view the eye after it has been created so I have right anytime it was created ^^

I just realised that my grammar really sux ;)

Level 5
its kinda weird but the dooadads appears as violet boxes (the ones that appear when your model is messed up).

Level 10
what target the archers behind Elendil was firing was too close to the archers and their arrows didn't go like their animation, dunno how to explain better, it was like this somehow:

| & \ = arrows
E = Elendil
""| | \
""| \ \
E(l (l (l (l ----> archers
I think it's hard to get what I said right now :D

Level 4
...........no comment.......

uhm... I use a Mac and it downloaded as a Scannable 8 file, to which my computer instantly deleted it 'cause it was a virus. Please fix this. I don't really know how....

Thanks,

noobish new user of Hive