• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] The Second War

What do you think of this project?

• I don't like it!

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • It looks ok.

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • Looks great!

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • I love it!

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'm about to finish my summer vacation and I've got a tiny update for you guys:

I've done a little bit more editing and if I'm lucky I can release another update/demo by the end of this or next month. That is if I have a slow start to this semester, as I hope 'cause we usually spend a few weeks just going over what we're gonna do this year. However this whole plan might backfire and we don't start out slow, we'll see...

But I have however been working on getting the factions' tech-trees (units, buildings..etc) done, and to test that I through together a quick melee map, so I might release that if there's interest. That way I might get some feedback on how I've set up the Horde's and Alliance's armies.

Level 5
Just posted an updated version of the demo/campaign. Not much really, but should be a bit of updated terrain and a few minutes of bugged play time on the "for the king" map (siege on capital of Lordaeron) and then some terrain and stuff on the battle at Blackrock Spire :)

EDIT: Did a bit more terrain on the map after "For The King." This map is set in The Arathi Highlands and includes the Dragonmaw Clan and you play as Anduin Lothar.

Last edited:
Level 5
I'm gonna expand the map further south, since the final map will take place in the Burning Steppes and possible another map around the Dark Portal. :pir:

But was there anything in perticular you were thinking about?

Level 5
With all the fuzz around the warcraft movie coming out, I found some time to do a few small tweaks and a bit of terraining. Uploaded a new demo which should have a couple of extra minutes (or seconds...) of new stuff to check out.

Thanks to PurgeandFire for re-opening the thread! :)

Level 5
Not actively. But right now I found some long lost motivation. So I've been doing a bit of editing for the past week. But I doubt it'll last for more than a few weeks, since I've got exams coming up in a few weeks. But I'll try and update the demo on the main thread/first post as soon as I've done some more noticeable improvements.

Level 5
Big difference. This campaign shows a small resemblance to the campaigns in Warcraft 3 with similar tech-trees, units..etc and that the campaign follows a "main character" unlike the Warcraft 2 game which in my opinion just has small appearances of different know Warcraft characters. Also the maps are different both in appearance, missions and order. The whole story is also altered, as I've used much of my own imagination in shaping the story - however the main points of the story should be intact. Here are two links to show most of the main points I've included in the campaign.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Retcon_1#Warcraft_II

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Second_War

A few main "happenings" I could mention are:
Alterac's betrayal of the Alliance, Dragonmaw Clan's enslavement of Alexstrasza and their use of Red Dragons, Horde's assault on the Capital City of Lordaeron, the dwarves and gnomes of Dun Morogh hides within Ironforge while the Horde pillages Khaz Modan, Retaking the city of Stormwind (after it was taken during the first war), the assault on Blackrock Spire and the death of Anduin Lothar and possibly also a final map with the Dark Portal.

Level 5
like I said, no. But the campaign contains roughly the same story, just told in a different way. Meaning different missions, but ultimately the same outcome. I'm trying to make it as lore-friendly as I can. Please, try the demo and read the first post if this has sparked your interest :thumbs_up:

Edit: Also you can check out the maps which aren't finished but still is in the campaign. The mission name and terrain should give you an idea of what's going to happen.

Level 5
Are you working alone on this?
Yes, I am working alone. Always do when I make maps. It's just a small hobby I do from time to time really.

I played the first map, but an undiscovered main quest is never discovered.
Yeah the campaign is pretty far from finished and there's a ton of bugs and unfinished things. But thank you for bringing this perticular one to my attention. Always appreciate the feedback!

Level 9
Suggestion, make Kingdom specific units... like
-Gilnean Black knights
-Stormgarde Footman and Knights
-Dalarn Mages
-Elven swordman and dragonhawk
-Lodaeron Footman and Knights
-Kiltiran Ships, Axeman and Riflemen

Level 14
Genn Greyman would probably look better as the gray haired Paladin. garithos just seems out of place as a model. That's something I felt worked when he was used for Aedelas Blackmoore. Perenold, terenas, Lothar, turalyob, and Trollbane look amazing though.

Level 6
Please go for wc3 stats, the wc2 stats aren`t that good in combination with all the spells and mechanics WC3 has.

All those buffs, debuffs and what not were developed with big health pools in mind, not characters with 100 hp who get 3 shot.

It would be nice if you can variate the Human Kingdoms and the Clans a bit.

Good luck with your project. :D

Level 14
Please go for wc3 stats, the wc2 stats aren`t that good in combination with all the spells and mechanics WC3 has.

All those buffs, debuffs and what not were developed with big health pools in mind, not characters with 100 hp who get 3 shot.

It would be nice if you can variate the Human Kingdoms and the Clans a bit.

Good luck with your project. :D[/QUOiTE]

Agreed WC3 is much more small army based and having time to retreat injured ones to bring them back after you fix them up. WC2 was alright for its time but the amount of one shots just leaves a bad taste.

Level 5
Thanks a lot for all the kind words and feedback! As always I appreciate the suggestions and constructive criticism.

I'll stick to Warcraft 3 stats then.

I kinda like the idea of different units for the different kingdoms and clans. All I have now to differ the clans are the Burning Blade grunts as special units at the battle of blackrock, but I'll look further into this and I'll try and get some unique footmen and knight for at least Stromgarde, perhaps also Lordaeron or Azeroth.

I agree that this might be a nice addition as it could create a more unique feel for the different maps when you alternate between the armies (mostly Stromgarde, Turlayon's and Lothar's). My problem here though is that both Lothar and Turalyon belongs to the "lost kingdom of Azeroth." And I image their army contains much of the remaining army from Azeroth and some supplied by the other nations. So any input on this? How should Turalyon's army differ from Lord Lothar's?

Again, thanks for all the comments, really appreciate it!

Edit: Also, would this model fit better for King Greymane? http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...182465/?prev=search=knight&r=20&d=list&page=4

Level 9
Turalyon could have Clerics added(support spellcaster) and Crusaders(replace knights and paladins)
Lothar could have Swordman(replace footman), Cavalier(replace knight) and Squire(advanced melee).
Stormgarde could have Enforcers(replace footmen),Stormgarde Knights(replace knght, just make sure it appears "Knght" in game).
Gilneas could have Infantry(replace footmen), Cavalry(replace knight), Brigand(replace archers).

Level 14
THAT MODEL IS PERFECT. Looks way more like Greymane than Garithos.

He now doesnt look awkward when standing with Teranas, Daelin, and Trollbane.

I LOVE how you built WoWs landscape into the maps. It's really noticeable on Arathi + Wetlands Map and the Outside Ironforge Area. Just WOW.

I love this campaign please finish. Adney is already doing a fantastic job with his WC1 Orcs remake which is nearly finished.

Both of these combined would give WC1 and 2 a WC3 Version to play. :)

As for armies. I REALLY wouldn't complicate it too much which there is no need to do it.

Dalaran is represented by mages
Quel'thalas is represented by rangers

Knights Footmen are human. Everyone has standing armies similar just use them. keep upgrade to Paladins if you think it works.

Then you have Dwarven riflemen and melee.

I wouldn't go much beyond that. the Characters are what make the story. Show me Turalyon Lothar and Trollbane. and their deeds.

Insert unit variation in future revisions after a full release then.

But yes Clerics. I'd start giving Cleric access arond the time of the Stormwind Siege to all maps.

Last edited:
Level 5
Just letting you guys know I've just uploaded a new demo.

New stuff:
- New Genn Greymane model
- A few new units (as of now, not playable, they're just in the editor and some in the intro). These new units are mostly villagers with various tabards and attached weapons.
- A new map set in the massive swamp of Black Morass. This is where the Dark Portal is located and the map will be the last in the campaign and feature Khadgar and the closing of the portal. But first a small battle against the remains of the Horde.

I haven't really done much else. A tiny bit of terraining on the other maps as usual, but not really a lot of noticeable stuff.

Again, thanks for all the kind words and feedback, it really helps me make up my mind for what I wanna do with the campaign in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.