• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Rising - RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Introduction
Ultimately, I'm having difficulty finding time to create, test, and finish my RPG. Until now, I was up for keeping the whole project just to myself but have decided to display my ideas to you guys. Mostly, I'm looking for responses similar to "No, it's not a good idea. Stop waisting your time" or "Yes, it's a great idea! Please continue making this map!". I'll try to post some screenshots at a later date (as soon as I can retrieve an older version of the map from another computer. Accidentally deleted it from off of my main one).

Table of Contents (use ctrl+f to quick-find).
I. Basic Storyline
II. Quests System
III. Hero Skills System
IV. Talents/Equipment System
V. Consumable Items System
VI. Armor System

I. Basic Storyline
The storyline begins with the heroes in the middle of a human camp (it's a very small camp). Nearby is an orc fortress. After you gain the human captain's trust, he asks you to negotiate with the orcs and try to form a peace treaty. Depending on how the negotiates pan out, you either declare peace... or war with the orcs. If peace is declared, you spend the next in-game chapter doing quests for the orcs. If war is declared, you spend the next in-game chapter preparing for the siege against the orc fortress.

If you're at peace with the orcs, you crush the corrupt orc warlock trying to take control of the fortress (the orc warlock is also the high councilor to the orc chief. You must to the appropriate quests in order to discover his identity and fight him). If you're at war, you destroy the orcs (or don't, depending upon how many siege preparation quests you complete within the one week preparation time). Either way, you eventually end up being sent to the wastelands to the west.

While in the wastelands, the heroes begin to discover a hidden demonic power that has started to make its presence known. What follows is an archaeological adventure to find the appropriate magic and artifacts to seal a dark portal (normally the stone structure is harmless, but you discover through questing that it has recently become active and has infested the wastelands with all manner of foul demons).

Afterwards, the heroes make their way to the mystical Relcinar Forest, where ancients texts had suggested that another portal could exist. Working with the ancient ents residing there, you manage to seal another dark portal.

Upon slaying the demonic servant guarding the dark portal within Relcinar Forest, it exclaims that you are already too late and that the great war has already begun. A battle has been launched against the human stronghold. After hearing the news, the heroes then make their way to the human stronghold (big castle with large town) to see what aid they can lend.

When the heroes arrive, they find the castle towards the end of a merciless siege from the undead. However, there is still time for the heroes to turn the tides of battle. As they delve further into the undead territory, they find the supreme lich overseeing the assault, and they slay him. Upon returning to the castle, a scholar discovers where the undead may have originated from. The heroes are then sent to the port town and set sail to the east across the sea.

Upon arriving at the eastern port town, they notice an unusually small amount of demonic disturbances. The heroes inquire the mayor to see if anything is wrong. The mayor declares that nothing is wrong save for a little child that was recently found one night in the town square. The child was unconscious when they found him, and appears to have lots his memory. As the heroes quest for various villagers and help the child regain his memory, they learn that the child is actually the "egg" through which the supreme demon will enter the world. The child escapes through supernatural means to a forbidden island to the north, where the heroes must engage in the final battle.

*Note that this is only the absolute most basic of storylines, and that the actual storyline I have planned out is far more complex and rich in content. Ultimately, I wanted to create an RPG where what the players did actually effected which direction the story went (or at the very least, how it played out, NPC A dieing instead of NPC B etc...)

II. Quests System
Because the storyline is important to the game, quests are designed to work very much like they do in the regular WC3 campaigns, where they neither deprive players of the rich storyline nor interrupt the flow of game play. This is especially important because I want the map to be battle.net/LAN-friendly, where up to 5 people can play together at a time. Quests rewards vary from experience, gold, stat points, items, talent crystal, free skill points, or a hero joining the party ("NPC" heroes that join the party can be controlled collectively by any of the 5 players).​

III. Hero Skills System
For the most part, heroes have one active "technique list" (based off of spellbook), three passive skills, and the backpack skill. The technique list is a way to have as many active abilities available to the hero as possible while still allowing for various passive abilities. Having six castable spells and three passive abilities on a wizard is a little more attractive than just having three spells and an ultimate, eh? The higher levels spells in the "technique list/spellbook" will behave like ultimate spells.​

IV. Talents/Equipment System
Throughout the game and by gaining levels, heroes obtain talent crystals that can be spent at resurrection stones. These talents are held in the regular inventory slots and cannot be removed except by means of a resurrection stone (you can open a dialog by purchasing a "Talents" item at the resurrection stone). Normally, talents are more powerful than items, and almost always offer versatility and abilities that regular items cannot (such as an additional spell or aura as well as stat bonuses).

Items can be sold and purchased at equipment shops, and take up slots in the inventory. This makes it so that the player must choose between talents or eqiupment.

*However, I think I may be able to work out a method where anywhere up to 8 talents can be "equipped" along with the regular 6 inventory slots. Doing so will reserve the 6 visible slots for equipment, while still allowing the hero to have talents "equipped".

V. Consumable Items System
In the hero skills section is mentioned the backpack ability. As the hero levels up this ability, he will be able to use more and more items (the backpack operates like the spellbook, similar to "technique lists" but on a separate ID. Yes, it works). Every time a hero purchases a (lets use "potion"), it will increase their "potion count" upgrade by one level. So long as the "potion count" upgrade is above level zero, the player will be able to use potions. Each time a potion is used, the "potion count" upgrade is decreased by one level for that player. This way, a maximum amount of 100 can be stored of each item and allows items to not take up regular inventory slots.​

VI. Armor System
Rather than having small, medium, fortified, divine etc... armors, I've redone them so that they're "unarmored", "small", "medium", "large" and "massive" armor types, each one generally reducing more damage than the first, rather than different amounts depending upon what's attacking you (though there is still some variation, "blunt" weapons dealing 5% more damage to "large" and "massive" armor types than "slashing" or "piercing" would).

There are also special armor types. They are "Enchanted", "Legendary", and "Berserker". Enchanted armor takes no damage from slashing, piercing, or blunt attacks, but take extra damage from "magic" attacks and spells. Legendary armor reduces all damage taken by 50%. Berserker armor increases all damage taken to 150%, but is also accompanied by a very powerful attack.​

If anything is unclear or you have suggestions or comments, feel free to post. I'm open to any criticism. Also, I apologize for the various "walls of text" hahaha.

Level 5
I like everything except the armor system, but maybe that fits in. It sounds like a LOT of work though, so I'd reccomend you enlist some help...I can't recall how many projects I've started and abandoned because they got too big.

Level 5
The primary reason I modified the original WC3 armor system is because some of the damage ratios are out of wack (some damage types were dealing 2x damage to certain armors, like magic vs heavy). Normally, I wouldn't notice/think it's that big of a problem, but I'm using floating text to show how much damage is actually being dealt, and it seemed a little unbalanced for a level 1 archer to be dealing 92 damage to low level heavy armored unit and for a warrior to be dealing only around 35-40.

Level 5
I would recommend using the existing armor types, but not in the normal way. For example, an archer should do a lot of damage to unarmored, but less to armored. A guy with a crossbow could punch through the armor.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm sorry for the thread-revival, but just in case the user is still active.

I suggested that you used a Final Fantasy (Turn-Based) combat system, since the old real-time fight is becoming boring. You can even use a system like Final Fantasy Forever (A wc3 map) too, that was a good map. These are just suggestions, though, but it would bring some attention to your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.