• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Rising Open RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
legospencer and SinFinite humbly present, the work in progress:

The Rising Open RPG

The original conceptual design and early demos of this map were started over four years ago by me. It has been my ultimate goal ever since as a WarCraft III mapmaker to finish this map as a lasting testimony to what I find fun in an Open RPG. I will not deceive you: the length it has taken me to work on this map consisted mostly of wasted time: redoing the terrain due to finicky taste, losing the map entirely, insubstantial understanding of the World Editor, etcetera. However, for the past year or so, I have been working on this diligently, if not sporadically and at the slightest pass of my fancy.​

This map was greatly inspired by an Open RPG I played called Dying Lands, created by MercyfulJester/LoT. The map, in many ways, was flawed. One of the biggest problems that I concurred with was the lack of in-depth customization: the creation of not merely a map, but an actual landscape where you’re Hero plays a crucial role in. Maybe it sounds sappy, but I like to aim for the stars when achieving this sense of connection within a virtual world.​

Another pool of inspiration I called upon was from Fable, which is my personal favorite game. Perhaps it’s the sense of nostalgia the game brings back to me, or the wicked-sickness of the game itself, not even I know. All the same, a few bits of similarity slipped into the RPG when I wasn’t even looking.​

Since the initial created of this map, I have been working alone, learning the ropes all by myself. Recently however, I have gained a team-member in my quest for greater glory. Perhaps, you too are now feverish as your itchy-mouse button; you crave the juicy and viscus nectar that is teamwork! Sate your appetite, ambitious one!!

What this map boasts so far:

• Playable by a maximum of three users. May increase depending.
  • 24 customized Heroes, eight Heroes of each attribute. Each Hero has 3 abilities that can each be leveled to 10 and one ultimate that can be leveled to 5. The Hero level cap is at 35. Many Hero abilities are created via JASS.
  • Many custom icons, majorly imported icons from World of WarCraft, and the remainders enhanced icons, custom created.
  • A vast amount of artifact items, all custom with a wide range of variety. Item rarity is roughly based on World of WarCraft, and the concept of world drops is also implemented.
  • A storyline that is not the most innovative, but includes many, many side stories, quests, and a great deal of cinematics. We have tried very hard to keep a good sense of creative atmosphere in the game. This aspect is very mailable, and is still in development.
  • Custom terrain, styled similarly to official Blizzard maps in terms of detail-orientation.
  • Questing is exactly in the archetypical style coined by Blizzard campaigns.
  • A gaggle of bosses, all with varying levels, each dropping unique artifacts.
  • A tradeskill system, boasting Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Carpentry, and Leatherworking. This aspect is very mailable, and is still in development.
  • Includes language-learning as an entertaining game factor: different languages can be learned to understand what creeps (such as gnolls or trolls) are saying during cinematics. This aspect is very mailable, and is still in development.
  • Very few restrictions hindering realism: very few invulnerable units or destructibles. This creates a lot of loopholes when creating quests and other such things, but so far realism has been preserved without too much friction with fluent game-play.
  • Right-clicking serves a bigger purpose: right-clicking objects, such as campfires or corpses, may result in the acquiring of items. Right-clicking also steers casual conversation with the people of the game.
  • Certain buildings and caves can be entered, warping Heroes to separate vicinities of the map.
  • This game is more focused on questing opposed to pure slash-‘n’-hacking, and most certainly focuses on environment and storytelling a great deal.

Behind the scenes:

Right now, this team is very small. We are still looking for a couple more willing members to contribute their time and skills to this map in various positions. If you are interested, visit our recruitment thread.

• legospencer - A seasoned master at awful GUI, legospencer tends to stick to his specialties, which range from terrain masterworking, quest forging, story development, item creation, and conceptual and aesthetic moderator. Overall, he is the project leader.
    ---
  • SinFinite - A brawny JASS Warrior hailing from frostbitten lands of the north, SinFinite works day-to-day slaying my awful GUI abominations one event at a time. His talents range from triggering, ability moderation and creation, game balancing, and partial creative direction.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

legospencer

Untitled-9.jpg

• Decreased Hero level cap from 100 to 35
  • Three normal abilities that can be leveled to 10 each, one ultimate that can be leveled to 5 each. Removed Hero-specific standard ability.
  • Unique twist on ultimate abilities: "Ultimate Points" will be received from completing certain quests. These points will be spent on the usage of a Hero's ultimate ability.
  • Unlockable quests and bosses via average level of Heroes controlled.
  • Features a Hero that can assimilate any humanoid Hero in the entire map and be permanently replaced with that type of Hero.
  • Resurrection of Heroes through Resurrection Stones; resurrection "check-points".
  • Silver Key aspect of Fable included. Max of 25 silver keys attainable by each player; 75 silver keys overall.
  • Fishing system to be included.

Terrain: |||||||||| Heroes: |||||||||| Triggering: ||||||||||Cinematics: ||||||||||

(All content is always subject to change)

Last edited:
Level 9
I like this idea, it has some original things, like the language learning and right clicking to find items. Also loopholes are a big + for rpgs, secrets and rare items are always fun to discover, and open room to play the game a second time. +rep for this idea

Also, your English is amazing, I haven't enjoyed reading a description like this in a long time. Another thing I'll be happy to see in this map.

Level 12
in the terrains you should use the height tool and lower tool abit so the terrain dont look so flat :) also I really like this one. Especially the language learning. A personal opinion is that if I played B.net and I was going to play this then I wouldnt like too much cinematics as people wants action

Level 6
Also, your English is amazing, I haven't enjoyed reading a description like this in a long time. Another thing I'll be happy to see in this map.

I'm flattered! Thanks for your positive feedback.

Sounds like a great idea Good job, and keep it up ;)

And you too, sir!

in the terrains you should use the height tool and lower tool abit so the terrain dont look so flat :) also I really like this one. Especially the language learning. A personal opinion is that if I played B.net and I was going to play this then I wouldnt like too much cinematics as people wants action

Regarding the height elevations of the terrain: I usually do that as the final step in the terraining process. In my experience I have found it easier to create terrain on a flat surface and then stylize the height differences afterward to achieve the best look. A good tip nonetheless!

And concerning the cinematics, well there might be some changes ahead regarding those. I'm really debating over the many factors involving cinematics. For example: every cincematic will bear the option to be skipped by pressing the Escape button, but will the constant transition into cinematic still hold as an incredible nuisance? Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. For this to work though, the map would need to respond to the other two players not currently involved in a cinematic, meaning that there would be a majority rule factor: if both absent players both pressed Escape, then the cinematic would be skipped regardless of the involved player's choice to continue watching. Any feedback on this?

Anyways, there are some quests planned that will not be keyed-up to cinematics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.