• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Oasis

The Oasis
This muddy pool is the only source of water for miles around. The Orcs have come here seeking a new life...

Control Thrall and the Orcs as they try to take over a remote oasis. It won't be easy, though -- first they have to oust the locals, and there are other factions that have set their sights on this precious spring too...

I made the first two quests of this map years ago for a WC3C mapping contest before unceremoniously ditching the project. It is 32x32 in size and uses Blizzard dialogue (both existing parts and new sentence-mixed elements) to provide voiced cinematics. It only took a few weeks to construct, so don't expect anything earth-shattering (a full discussion of the project's intentions can be found here).

Not particularly difficult nor particularly serious, it should take about 25-30 minutes to play from end to end.

Other Maps

Keywords:
orc, singleplayer, rpg, thrall, oasis
Contents

The Oasis (Map)

Reviews
» Vengeancekael:[c] 「Profile :: Hive Staff」 » Reasons: » Comment: The game (or well the quest The Great Escape) doesn't finish, I lose control over Thrall, but not over Illidan at the designated area. Fix that and I'll approve the map. (I was gonna...

M

General

Review

Other

» Vengeancekael:[c] Profile :: Hive Staff
» Reasons:
» Comment:
The game (or well the quest The Great Escape) doesn't finish, I lose control over Thrall, but not over Illidan at the designated area. Fix that and I'll approve the map. (I was gonna post a screenshot of it, but Windows 8 is causing problems with my Warcraft 3 folder)
Overall average map, nothing groundbreaking, but surprisingly still fun. >_>
Also I nominate Illidan for the best character of 2013.
» Rules: [c] Map Submission
» Contact: [c] Staff Contact
! 'Reasons' are automated !

Verdict
+
-

No full review available.
Acceptable
[tr]​

Suggestions:
  • Illidan's Feral Spirit has a hotkey highlighted in its title.
  • When Mannoroth's entrance cutscene is about to finish it gets a bit messy. (Humans Quest says it's completed, again, and the cinematic overlay bugs for a moment)
  • Clear selection circles during a cutscene.

Moderated Version: Initial
Date: 05/May/2013 19:23:00

Level 9
Another Rao Dao Zao map, I think I'll like it once I try it. Edit: Enjoyed it, Didn't really expect Illidan to be Rexxar. Some of the imported stuff, really good work. I really liked it when you added those quotes on. So I'll give this map a 5/5.

Last edited:
Level 23
What took you so long to actually upload it? :p
It wasn't finished (broke after the first quest), I abandoned it and forgot about it...

Then I was all looking for curiosities to put in The Forgotten, and I found this and wanted to add it, but it was totally broken and two seconds long, so I figured I may as well finish it now and add lots of banter.

3-4 weeks later, we have a result!:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 1
Really nice map. You got as much out of the tiny map as possible 5/5!!!
P.S. Was the Illidan skin a mistake or intentionally?

This map is soooooooooo story-untrue... just had to say it :D
So as a map, it is pretty enjoyable, altrough thrall and illidan are pretty much OP and if Archimonde wasn't invulnerable i bet i could own him with all those summon spells, buffs, debuffs and damage spells. Maybe increasing the difficulty would be a good idea.
Another good thing is the voiceover. I really like how you took default sentences and mixed to get what you want. Some sound almost like a Youtube Poop (Like that last one, "You are the demons") xD
I like how you fit all these objectives and missions in such a small map, but as i said, if you are trying to connect this to the WC3 storyline, you're gonna have a bad time.
Overall map is enjoyable enough 3/5 +rep

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
-Thrall now is a strength hero
-Thrall has two spells (the first two) named Lightning Bolt
-Searinox was the black dragon Arthas and co. slew...
-vengeance for Zul'jin... They're not fighting high elves or humans here
-units selected during cinematic mode
-Rexxar named Illidan...

2/5. Everything, mumbo jumbo, happens in the same place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: if you get past the weirdness, it's a decent map: 3/5.

Last edited:
Level 6
Despite the fact that this map is very very little and short, I immensely enjoyed it... that's incredible! Rao Dao Zao, you're a genius!

Last edited:
Level 21
Commenting to rate from the futuUuUuUrRrReeee. Last comment on this thread was in 2013 :)

Anyway, I played this on my channel where you can find more info, but this is a fun, lighthearted map that still holds up in 2018.

Level 5
Hello!
I'm not a fan of defense game, and after playing this map, yeah, still not a fan of defense game 😂
This map is nice, though, apart from the fact that the ally stayed dead after getting unalived and I would have to defend the oasis all alone at the end of it.
Fun map though!

Level 3
The part I enjoyed the most in this map was seeing the field transformation, the town being build. The voice acting and weird story are great too. Gameplay wise well there isn't much to do, it's really straightforward. Nice refreshing little map, thx Rao !