• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hobbit

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: The General
The Hobbit

This map based on novel The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien. It's prolouge of Lord of the Rings , tells Bilbo's story with the 13 dwarves and Gandalf the Grey. They try to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from Smaug the evil dragon.

In the map I placed custom items,made,custom units and techtree,abilities. The 13 dwaves are different as you will see(7 unique units, 3 mortar teams).

Otherwise: Original creator is ^witch-king^, but he brokes off the map, in original map was only original wc units, bugged techtree, error tiggers,poor terrain, and dwarves were pathetic weak, bilbo was mega slow and Smaug automatic died when bilbo entered in his hideout many cinematic speeches showed too little time.

1.loading screen
212000-albums5233-picture57640.jpg

2.Meeting with Gollum
212000-albums5233-picture57641.jpg

3.In Beorn's forest
212000-albums5233-picture57642.jpg

4.Second foe: the goblins of Gundabad
212000-albums5233-picture57643.jpg

5.The Main Foe: Smaug the Magnificant's cave
212000-albums5233-picture57644.jpg

Changelog
version 1.9 I fixed the problems added cinematics, Smaug is stronger, human towers got fortified armor, cavetrolls elite units of goblins, the goblin leader Bolg added. Used skins and models.
version 2.3 Added many icons, changed terrain, new weapons, new shop system, new spells/abilities, "smaug travel bug" fixed. Again added new skins, and models.
version 3.0(currently) I made AI for Goblins, and some icons for authentic, I fixed the active icon problems, new loadingscreen, techtree renamed and modifided and use custom icons, Bolg is stronger, Bilbo is weaker, Ring ability changed, Smaug is now a hero, useless warcraft extra items deleted,better terrain, the ugly ramps deleted, placed lotr ruin models instead of warcraft.
Warcraft quest system added , Lotr music theme, I used the awesome dragon skin for Smaug from Soc pack. Balancer gameplay , knights' damage and hp lower, wargriders got small armor type. Stronger towers, + many things etc.

Special thanks to model/skin/icon/creators
-karland90
-Mr.Bob
-iristle
-Radagast
-Pyramidhe@d
-DarkChaplain
-Frankster
-Norindar
-Tranquil
-Callahan
-Hueter
-67chrome
-Kuhnegetz
-Cloudwolf
-HappyTauren
-Red Shift
-D.O.G
-Forgotten_Warlord
-Kitabatake
-JetfangInferno
-Stanakin SkyWalker
-Fingolfin
-Grodosh
-Ezikielth
-Thorneon
-Deon
-NFwar
-Furby
-Golden Drake
-CRAZZYRUSSAIN
-Luckerguy
-Tenebrae
-Amaagard
-Deolrin
-D.ee
-Tiki
-Massivemaster
-Sellenisko
-olofmoleman
-hellbrazer-14
-Mc
-Ket
-shamanyoranus
-FreiBier
-chilla_killa
-GreyArchon
-Jo27killed
-kola
-tamerleine
-Darkfang
-De.ee
-Furby
-Static
and -Kobas- & Veagencekael for helpful suggests
Special thanks to Ea company for the beatiful music,Waldbaer & Dragonblood Creations for useful icons , skins models, and certainly Tolkien.

Author's Note
This is not the final version. In the future, I will make more cinematics and realistic things and fixed buggs and repair error +update. And I planning new ending and optional quest too. I welcome the proposal,advice,suggest or constructive criticism.

Edit: Screenshoots added!

Keywords:
Lotr,lord of the rings,bilbo,hobbit,dragon,goblins,adventure, gandalf,dale,erebor,mirkwood,elves,troll
Contents

The Hobbit (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael - Date: 2012/May/17 00:36:53 Reasons: Poor and lacking terrain: Terrain Tutorial Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out the World Editor Help...

M

Vengeancekael -
Date: 2012/May/17 00:36:53

Reasons:
Poor and lacking terrain: Terrain Tutorial

Other:
Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials
Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section
Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone

Comment: [Rejected]
Endurance aura still has an active icon and please add some fresh custom spells and improve their tooltip a bit more.
Maybe also ask someone to improve the terrain for you.
Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

Vengeancekael -
Date: 2012/Apr/12 15:30:13

Reasons:

Other:
Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone

Comment: Map set back to pending.

Vengeancekael: Private Message
Date: 2011/Dec/02 18:05:22

Reasons:
Poor and lacking terrain: Terrain Tutorial
Poor Gameplay, not a lot of originality or fun: General Mapping Tutorials
The disabled versions of custom icons are not imported.

Other:

Comment: The terrain's quality is quite low, it just makes the map unacceptable, try not to use blizzard cliffs, work with height tools and fill the terrain with bushes, grass, custom environment models, etc.
Your map also lacks some originality gameplay-wise, it's way too generic.
And don't use active icons for passive things, like a passive skill.
And Bilbo's voice doesn't really fit.
Also check the other things listed above.

Level 5
Map terrain is really bad, you should increase palyable map area.
Also Items are random, I can understand weapons or ring but dunno why you added some like that gloves of haste item...

Gloves of haste is extra item , and placed some other ones , and extra items are useful for Bilbo or Thorin do not have to use extra items.
Well as I wrote its not final version, about the terrain it would be nice if you elaborate that, which part or all map(otherwise i placed many destructibes and doodads). Just I ask causes the terrain's big part made as it telled in the book,but I will check for better terrain type.

And I going to make better description and update map soon.
Have a nice day!

marko9: I dont know how to make screenshoot currently.

Last edited:
Well as I wrote its not final version, about the terrain it would be nice if you elaborate that, which part or all map(otherwise i placed many destructibes and doodads). Just I ask causes the terrain's big part made as it telled in the book,but I will check for better terrain type.
Here is yours and expected terrain.
You should work on it, add special effects and lightning effects to it, especially to terrain where you created elves. Find some awesome models and import them as well, custom water model or some trees, rocks can improve terrain a lot, I needed 5 min to fix your terrain there (because I needed to create some objects, usually 2 or 3 min can do), so work on it, good terrain equal to better quality.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 185
Level 5
Define the type of the map

Hard to choose map type, but I changed.

Here is yours and expected terrain.
You should work on it, add special effects and lightning effects to it, especially to terrain where you created elves. Find some awesome models and import them as well, custom water model or some trees, rocks can improve terrain a lot, I needed 5 min to fix your terrain there (because I needed to create some objects, usually 2 or 3 min can do), so work on it, good terrain equal to better quality.

Thanks for tip, y I see the difference, in this you are right, but in Desolution of Smaug I can't make green trees or simple forest where he burned the land and destroyed the all life. The elves, they arent the noble high elves like in Rivendell or in Lorien, they much less developed but they had advanced magics too and in book the elven caves were almost empty. What you showed it's ideal for 1 part of Mirkwood or Beorns forest(It's great help,awesome). Well I do all to make better terrain and thank you the suggests.

Level 21
Hmmm..I thought I seen a Hobbit cinematic to the good old Hobbit book, but now a playable map for it and going killing stuff? Hmmmm...I might try this out.

Level 5
Hmmm..I thought I seen a Hobbit cinematic to the good old Hobbit book, but now a playable map for it and going killing stuff? Hmmmm...I might try this out.

Why killing...
It sounds ,If I look at it your consideration , the all maps which processing Middle-Earth in Warcraft 3 , killing the original story and enjoy offal?

Otherwise from Tribute and Love to book, I created the map.

*You're still using active icons for passive skills (example Endurance Aura)
*Add some actual custom spells, while some of the spells do fit the map, the rest just looks bad and honestly with the terrain's low quality you should at least try to cover it with some flashy/neat spells.
*The terrain is still bad, especially in the first area, the terrain tile you've used looks bad in general, use more grass tiles and add some trees, bushes, etc.
*Remove the typos you've done in the dialogue, for example instead of "your" it says "you", these kind of typos just make the dialogue look unprof. and 'stupid'.

Map set back to pending. Also why are you using custom icons (probably made for warcraft 3), but a real photo for Gandalf? :/

Level 5
*You're still using active icons for passive skills (example Endurance Aura)
*Add some actual custom spells, while some of the spells do fit the map, the rest just looks bad and honestly with the terrain's low quality you should at least try to cover it with some flashy/neat spells.
*The terrain is still bad, especially in the first area, the terrain tile you've used looks bad in general, use more grass tiles and add some trees, bushes, etc.
*Remove the typos you've done in the dialogue, for example instead of "your" it says "you", these kind of typos just make the dialogue look unprof. and 'stupid'.

Map set back to pending. Also why are you using custom icons (probably made for warcraft 3), but a real photo for Gandalf? :/

Alright I will search good spell models, and yes I know too Lordaeron summer worst Tileset ever in wc3... yes I will try to add more tiles and I try place some custom tree. But the problem with the custom trees the half map is a meele battle region, but I do what I can.I don't understand the icon thing totally but I will check the forum about it.

The typos, ok i will fix this. I use icons causes I think better and more authenticer if I use the real one potraits for the heroes(in my opinion better watching them than warcraft ones). If you think the photos are very annoying , I can change them to other style.

Last edited:
Level 2
Does anyone know what to do with Smaug? If he sees me, he flies off and disappears. If he don't see me, keep still where he are.

Level 11
This map is really good (I've finished it twice now) and I hope that one day it is expanded to include the whole journey (from the Shire to Erebor).

My only concern is... The Mortar Teams. There are no Mortars in Middle-Earth. I would prefer if the Mortar Teams were replaced by single Dwarven heroes, thereby having the full Company of Thorin Oakenshield (13 individual heroes instead of 7 and 3 mortar teams).

But otherwise this map is awesome.

Level 5
Does anyone know what to do with Smaug? If he sees me, he flies off and disappears. If he don't see me, keep still where he are.
Hi! I assume does it happen when Smaug attacks Lake-town? Smaug supposed to constantly attack Lake-town controlled by trigger actions.
A screenshot would be appreciated. What warcraft 3 version do you play? Alot of old warcraft 3 custom maps became more buggy, broken triggers etc. after 1.27b patch. I suggest especially do not play on Reforged patch, it makes old maps such as this one unplayable.

Last edited:
Level 5
This map is really good (I've finished it twice now) and I hope that one day it is expanded to include the whole journey (from the Shire to Erebor).

My only concern is... The Mortar Teams. There are no Mortars in Middle-Earth. I would prefer if the Mortar Teams were replaced by single Dwarven heroes, thereby having the full Company of Thorin Oakenshield (13 individual heroes instead of 7 and 3 mortar teams).

But otherwise this map is awesome.
Hello!
Glad to hear you have enjoyed my old map.

To tell the truth I was planning to do that years ago, hell even making a Hobbit campaign. However my low knowledge of English, attending University and my limited knowledge of the worldeditor.exe thus the very negative feedback here made me to give up the idea.
I do not promise anything but I would love to expand the map and the story. Not to mention almost 10 years ago when I posted this map I knew way more less about the worldeditor.exe, map making in general unlike now. Shall see altough I will need a stabile wc3 patch to work with.

I am aware of the Middle-Earth lore. I am a Tolkien fan thus read the books. I also considered the possibility changing all of them to be an individual unit however the 12 unit selection limitation and the lack of ideas made me to leave it as it was. (Worth to mention when I was working on this map the number of dwarf models were very little on HIVE.)

Thank you! Have a great day!

Last edited: