• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Growling Winds

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This map contains elements of wow, diablo 3 and diablo 2 gameplay. It contains:
-custom combat system (damage depending of weapon, strength, talents, custom made chance to crit depending of agility (or intelligence for spells), spell school resistances (and resistance penetration), chance to crit scales up with your level (you for example have bigger chance to crit lower or your level mobs than mobs and players higher level than you are), chance to hit, etc.)
-damage show system (just like in wow - white damage for normal attacks, yellow for spells and abilities, orange for pets and it will grow and shrink for criticals)
-items with many custom made bonuses (healthsteal, +to certain talents, +to certain ability stat, etc)
-talents system (requires level 10, up to 50 talents per class (so far), each with its unique bonuses such as +% to strength, agility or intelligence, +to spell power depending from intelligence, strength, maximum health or mana, +to weapon damage, chance to crit or even critical multiplier, etc.)
-custom experience system (mobs much lower than you give you very little to no experience while bosses and minibosses give you a lot more than ordinary mobs, etc)
-5 fully playable unique classes, each with it's own talents and possible specializations (for example: Death Knight can either spec as fighter, spell caster or a tank.

And a lot lot more

However, I would like to point out that this is an alpha version and nothing you see here is final. There are many things to be done such as vendors, lore, save/load system, credits, etc.

Keywords:
wow, diablo, diablo 3, serbianbeast, orpg, rpg, wind, growl, growling winds, epic, system
Contents

The Growling Winds (Map)

Reviews
13:47, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
Interesting, I will test it later, but I can tell you, keep working in this and it will be one of the best maps ever!
Oh, and try to reduce the arquive size xD

Level 3
wow, I think your game is wonderful. The terrains are great but need more improvement.
The tree talent system is cool and every classes are balance. I really like the spell critical and life steal, it makes the spell caster can face the strong enemies.
I hope you add more creeps and bosses because its too short. I finished this just in an hour

Level 10
I respect your wonderful work.
Terrain is great.
Damage texts moves too much.
When you or enemies dodge, there should be a miss sound instead of hit sound.
Item descriptions could be better.
We should able to see how much stat points left
Creep icons on minimap must be removed.
The multiboard actually needs some icons and coloring.
The game could be a little more different than WoW.
Storm Warrior model could be changed and Elementalist could have a bigger model size.
You could use some more creative abilities. Give us a chance to choose between a few spells instead of upgrading one (for the first few levels)
You should make a spellbook (10-11 spells) for all heroes, dont fill the game with a lot of heroes, 5 heroes are fine for now, focus on them. Night Archer and Barbarian may have better class names.

5/5 for it's potential

Last edited:
Level 5
For a Alpha version this map is outstanding I can't wait to play it.

The Sorceress seems fine as such but i was kinda unlucky with mana orb potion drops so I had some long waiting times.
The Skill tree was also very nice.

Level 5
great map keep up the good work. I hope you add in more bosses and make the fights more interesting other than that continue to expand on what you have made. Also wondering if you might add in a system for certain items to give bonuses to skills.

Level 3
My Review of Your Test Map:

This is by far the best map I have played this year. Believe me, I exclusively play RPG maps out there with a friend, and I have to say I had more fun with your simple setup than I've had in a god damn long time.

I know that you must of chose the skills very wisely, because they are VERY fun to use! My favorite part is how many of your abilities combo into your other abilities and how every class is very powerful even when solo. Blowing away huge piles of difficult enemies with my friend was absolutely god damn awesome.

Also, the items were excellent and make a noticeable difference and your terraining (for what little work you put into it) has top notch potential.

And lets not even go into your talent tree, which I have never ever seen before in any RPG out there. Although its a little boring to see only passive skills in there, its extremely unique!

Suggestions?
Well I would say the same thing as the guy above, you may need more spells (spellbooks are slightly annoying but work fine, I have played several RPGs with spellbooks and it was alright, perhaps you could just have an option to "swap" abilities in and out of the spellbook and onto your regular hero interface). I only say this because I wonder if making every ability have like 20+ levels is a wise choice compared to adding in more variety for some tactical options. The RPG will obviously be very long, you may need some learnable skills, or just more skills in general. Perhaps as the players get further they develop more abilities?

I like how you had larger and larger piles of guys as the game progressed. This was really awesome because we got to use our AOE to some dish out some VERY impressive damage. Keep up the scripted boss areas, as the one with the dwarf was really fun to tear up. Hopefully there'll be plenty of minibosses to go around.

Obviously you are not done, but I'm a fan of RPGs that have towns in them and professions such as enchanting, armor making, herbalism, etc. I recently played an RPG with a profession system that was not too complex (as in none of this get to an anvil to make armor etc., it was more like, when you kill things you automatically get parts that you can use on the spot) and the result was very satisfying. To see what I'm talking about look up "Iles at War RPG". They use spellbooksand professions, so you will know exactly how it feels like.

Faster run boots. More RPGs than I can count need these. I also need a way to see how many talent points I have and perhaps a backpack system. If you want to try something fancy checkout TKOK or even better: Dark Invasion for their inventory styles.

And if it's not too much... multiple weapon classes for each hero class rather than just one and equipment that actually shows up on your char. This one is obviously forgivable if left out.

Lets face it. Why was this small map more fun than every huge complex map out there? Because your heroes were totally themed, very unique and very well thought out. Also, the pace of the game was excellent and adequately difficult especially once the large amounts of enemies started showing up.

Keep it up man, your map has some amazing potential.

Level 4
Please don't ruin the game with a spellbook, insted take away the move/patrol/stop/attack/hold icons and put spells there.
One or two of them might be needed but you almost never use these.

I feel that 1-3 more spells need to be implented but not by using the spellbook.

Please don't ruin the game with a spellbook, insted take away the move/patrol/stop/attack/hold icons and put spells there.
One or two of them might be needed but you almost never use these.

I feel that 1-3 more spells need to be implented but not by using the spellbook.

how to take away the move/patrol/stop/attack/hold icons????? and how to place more than five hero skills because the editor can only place up to 5 HERO skills.. thanks........

-->This one is a great map and the only map I liked after FF Epic RPG by Ilyas... Hope this map keeps getting better as it reaches the full version...<--

Level 4
oh, so sorry mr.
I've hardly ever used the editor so I could not possibly know this, I am sorry for my stupidity oh great master of the editor.

Level 4
just wondering, do you have any guesses on when you will have a new version ready?
I don't mean do push you, just wondering =)
best of luck!

EDIT: Are you planning to implent some kind of healer class?

Last edited:
Level 16
Don't expect it anytime soon. I have a lot of abilities/systems/optimizations to do before it hits public. For now I have optimized attack system (reduced memory usage and makes game faster), added a few extra features and recreated 4 spells for storm seeker and elementalist. The only problem is that all passive abilities (blood frenzy and skyshatter weapons) will have to be implemented in talents or classes since they will no longer exist. This however might reduce their power, but I'll balance it up so that no change will be visible.

Level 18
how to take away the move/patrol/stop/attack/hold icons????? and how to place more than five hero skills because the editor can only place up to 5 HERO skills.. thanks........

-->This one is a great map and the only map I liked after FF Epic RPG by Ilyas... Hope this map keeps getting better as it reaches the full version...<--

You can get rid of Patrol/Attack/Move, but it removes the abillity if you do.

Level 1
Very nice map. But you should work at the balancing and the terrain, but it's still the alpha. Please make new Versions of this map!

oh, so sorry mr.
I've hardly ever used the editor so I could not possibly know this, I am sorry for my stupidity oh great master of the editor.

so you do not know if its possible? okay........ ^^

You can get rid of Patrol/Attack/Move, but it removes the abillity if you do.

Ahh. okay... so it really isn't possible without side effects.......

Level 1
Great map. :)

I love the way melee/spell crit chances work here as well as spell/melee damage bonuses.
Also i love the spells and i am not a fan of spellbooks,so i would rather see them stay as they are .

The map terrain also looks great and diverse.

Just a few suggestions.
-I would make the areas more conected instead of having just one way to go.
-Adding Quests and Town(s)
-I would like to see more Bosses and special drops from Bosses ( as i saw now they drop the same items you get from normal creeps)
-Possibly let the creeps respawn after some time.
-Maybe some balancing in the classes , Night Archer seems a lot weaker compared to others and mage seems overpowered at the end. (Not necessery)
-And finishing the map with more areas and higher level creeps , as it is now the game ends with level 30.

Level 16
Aliright, here it is:
Each class will have their abilities remade and added additional abilities (9 abilities total per class, more to come in further versions). Some classes will keep old abilities, but each class will become more powerful since you will be able to swap abilities so that they suit the situation: various of AOE and single target spells will make it easier for each class.
Most of the classes will have their talent tree changed (so that it suits new builds better)

What's done so far:
Made abilities for Death Knight, Night Archer and Elementalist.
A lot of script optimizations.
Some Bugs fixed.

Level 11
Y, its a good map, just dont make it slow... Like, WoW vs Diablo2, Diablo2 has FASTER gameplay, and wow looks borring... slow attacking and such things.
And dont put heroes with huge hp, we dont fight each other 1 hour... creeps also, only bosses should have lots of hp. Just a suggestions.

Level 9
Y, its a good map, just dont make it slow... Like, WoW vs Diablo2, Diablo2 has FASTER gameplay, and wow looks borring... slow attacking and such things.
And dont put heroes with huge hp, we dont fight each other 1 hour... creeps also, only bosses should have lots of hp. Just a suggestions.

I can't agree of any of that :xxd:

I think bosses should have lower life but more damage, and some abillities maybe :wink: (wink)

I think it's good with some heroes with HP (add healers too (wink, again) :wink:), and you know you can choose damage over HP, it's not like you HAVE TO choose strenght, and you can always take a tree which does not affect HP, but rather damage or mana :eekani:

A healer class would be awesome, especialy if all his/her abillities could either damage or heal, AOE or not :wink:

Level 16
Bosses will have high damage and health, but when it comes to players... it's just like any other rpg, you can chose to sacrifice damage for health and otherwise. But one thing is for sure: you wouldn't be fighting each other for hours (since some classes can crit for up to 30k and more at current build). Every boss will be scripted ... sooner or later. Anyway, expect the next version by the end of the week.

Level 16
Alright... I don't know where to start this, ehm:
-a lot of script optimizations
-a lot of bug fixes (tho I found 2-3 in recent tests and there will be a hotfix coming soon)
-new item set
-new boss (and new script for rampagor king)
-5 new spells for each class
-talents remake for some classes

However, I will make hotfix during night. cya soon

Level 11
Bosses will have high damage and health, but when it comes to players... it's just like any other rpg, you can chose to sacrifice damage for health and otherwise. But one thing is for sure: you wouldn't be fighting each other for hours (since some classes can crit for up to 30k and more at current build). Every boss will be scripted ... sooner or later. Anyway, expect the next version by the end of the week.
That's ok. I dont like heroes with 1500 hp and 120 dmg only... anyway, i didnt notice any quests... will there be, or anything related, it will become borring just to walk around and killing units. Its ok if it will be based to kill bosses only for items, but...

Level 11
Ok nice terrain is good, only at the start, fill that area with something... specialy like that 1st little "town" like circle and that with the resurrection stone.

Put merchants inside villages with potions and etc.
I'm not telling you what to do or whatsoever, just trying to help :).

And what i dont like is that tauren is called barbarian, sounds kinda funny to me, would be better its Warrior, and that minimap icon kinda suck... :D
And it would be more intresting that you increase a base attack speeds a littl'.
Just my opinion.

Anyway good job. I'll test this map from time to time.

Level 2
:D

this is the best game i have ever played on wc3. the talent tree, abilities, items, and terrain are all perfect. only complaint is that some things cause my game to crash like bow items, this once axe for barbarian (steel something), and the night archer hero. I hope its not because i have a mac, but if it is is there anyway to fix that? i got all the way to the polar bears when it crashed.
I like this game so much that i dont really care if i have to start over, but it might be annoying after a while. this game is amazing, i hope you put in a save/load system. keep up the good work!:thumbs_up:

Level 5
This is beyond words the new version kicks even more ass then the previous one. From now on I will worship you.

Level 9
I'm both shocked of how much new fetures and stuff you got into the new version, but also a bit disapointed.. First of all, I hoped on some new areas with new creeps and stuff :confused: When that is said, the new abillity system kick ass, but it's not done, there need description, and a better overview, I could not understand it the first 10 minuttes.. Add some text to it and it will be perfect :thumbs_up:

Another thing is the new shop(s)(I only saw one at least) hope you add some new ones soon, since I had money enoug for 600 potions and there was nothing else to buy :xxd:

Good job on the map so far! It is even more over 5/5 now :cute:

Thank you

Level 3
an excellent RPG map the map wile copying elemets from D1 and D2 as well as WoW are not too much to where the game loses its individualty. the map is too short as it is however but i am asuming this is because it is still in the alpha stage but at the rate its going its gonna be one of the best rpg maps on bnet! 5/5

Level 4
This map is just breath-taking!
If you play the Storm Seeker its so much fun to just see the numbers flying around!
Everyone likes lots n big numbers ;)

two things i found while playing:
-Is it intended that Lifesteal also works with spells? With that the Storm Seeker is able to solo the whole game. Bosses can be done with the wolves i guess.
-I somehow feel that the drop chances are somehow weird. At the start there were just bows dropping and in the end just death knight and barbarian weapons. I actually just got one weapon drop for my storm seeker.

Even if its just an alpha version *thumbs up* 5/5
Would love to see more =]

playing it again now :p

Level 4
Played it again >.<
The terrain is really beautiful and fitting =]
I can really say, that it is the best map I've play in ages with the lovely weapon "showing" system.
But i guess you have to check the weapon drop system :/
Now playing with the barb there were mostly bows and hatchets dropping

Level 16
I need a suggestion: Should I replace storm seeker with a ranged spell oriented class (but unlike night archer or elementalist his spells will benefit from attack damage, attack speed and other physical upgrades as much as from spell bonuses), or should I keep it as it is, since the map size limits me from simply adding it to the map as it is.

Level 9
Lol, I like the storm seeker, but he really is just extra damage, hes not really a team-based hero :confused: I don't like to see him removed, but some more team based spells, and some lower damage (he hit 3 times a second for over 20.000 damage at level 25)

But again, I like him :grin: What about some sort of healing for him and team mates, this will make him original and important for multiplayer :xxd: Just suggestions :hohum:

Passive healing would be best btw. Something from the tallent tree maybe, first 5 reqruied which incresses "% healed per attack" then one in "All healing caused by attacing affect all team mates in 1500 range by 50%" for example

Level 5
I can understand why people like the Storm Seeker after all he deals some pretty nasty damage and is the only pure melee DD.

I thing however that he has the same problem some WoW classes have faced. He is being useless. If you really want to dish out some damage the elementalist is the way to go. Also he can't take damage like Death Knight and Warrior can. And he does not have the range the Night Archer has.

To say the truth I really thing when playing the Storm Seeker that I play a wow shaman that just has forgotten how to heal. While other classes don't give me this feeling even when they are similar.

Level 4
I guess he is a proper replacement for the typical rogue class in every single map. He deals quite a bunch of damage and can tank some if you have lightning shield on.
I'd keep him as he is now and implement a different class with your stated wishes.
Maybe add FrIkY's Archimonde he looks quite nice for a low size of KB
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=118594
(that class could be a complete new concept as a hero type, not those stereotypical as Paladin/Druid and stuff)

And by the way where you got all those ~4mb from o_O

Level 16
To say the truth I really thing when playing the Storm Seeker that I play a wow shaman that just has forgotten how to heal. While other classes don't give me this feeling even when they are similar.

Well yes, that was kind of the idea I was trying to achieve but replacing him would change this enhancement shaman into elemntal (and maybe restoration) shaman, making him more spell caster like class. Also, this way I could give him a real role in parties and dungeons yet to come.

I guess he is a proper replacement for the typical rogue class in every single map. He deals quite a bunch of damage and can tank some if you have lightning shield on.

Ye, that was my thinking aswell, he's a rogue type of the class, but I'm still considering to remove him and replace with first healing class (while he would also be decent to excellent damage dealer).

And by the way where you got all those ~4mb from o_O

Mostly models (barb model take about 700KB and I'm hoping to get a more economic version of it soon).

So still 1 for and 1 against. Neither of you have stated if you want to have it replaced or not (since I just can't have them both).