• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The ever so unpopular Tower Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, this is Mr.TD

I was curious what you all might think about this, as im not sure if this will be a big hit or not.

A very long time ago when warcraft 3 came out, there were tonnnns of TD maps made by lots and lots of different people. However, one of the most outstanding and leaked maps was the Wintermaul Wars map. Based around that idea of invasion-type monster defense.

I'm curious as to setting up a 4-way map, with simple bases, and 5 race-based towers. Humans, Orcs, Night Elf, Naga, Undead, using actual units and upgrading them to better versions of themselves to thwart the forces of evil.

I want to make it with a Free-For-All survival, Team-survival, FFA-invasion (where players attack other players and increase their income), and team-invasion. Obviously ffa-invasion would be hard considering there are 4 people. so making it where normally you deal with 4 mobs, ffa-invasion would send 1 mob to each person, and balance the map around that.

I'm also thinking of adding Hero-defense modes, where you either build hero towers, or instead, have towers and a hero, with boss waves every so often that are harder than normal. as well as 3 different difficulty (handicapped mob hp levels)

So basically 1 small map with lots and lots of triggering and functionality, and lots of levels.

Pros:
It's a small map for slower computers.
It has 3 different difficultys.
It has 5 playing styles.
It has 5 different themed tower schemes.
It supports 1-4 players
It has over 100 waves of content, mini-games, and 11 bosses.

Cons:
It takes ALOT of time to trigger this content, and to balance all waves, game types, difficultys, towers, and hero mode.
It ONLY supports 4 players because its a small map, and has such a huge amount of content.
It could take upto 1 hour or more on invasion-type scenarios to win.

However, that said I would think the pros outweigh the cons.

Im only interested if you guys are interested in seeing a release of this type sometime soon, I have no idea if someone's made a well-balanced map with this much content. should I make it work with 4 players, then export the trigger setups, and unit data to another, bigger version for more players?

The hardest part is coding the pathing, and setting it up.

also I wanted to throw in some unique functions, such as having a warehouse, and at least 1 if not multiple gates the monsters have to ''destroy'' to continue on (so it leaves time for u to attack harder waves).

and you can upgrade your gates.

but the thing with that is, I'm having a really hard time figuring out monster pathing with regions (they keep running back and forth) so I turned off attacks and 'can flee' check marks on each units. thing is, if they can't attack how did I get them to get past each gate?...

well I wanted to make it something along the lines of them standing on a region just before the gate to 'destroy' it by reducing its hp per second. (so if its 1 monster its like 10 damage per sec. to the gate) 2 would stack, and so on. till the region is full with whatever size or type of monsters can fit in it. (another balancing factor, I dont want to leave anything out). (opens the scenario for 'miniature levels that rush gate destruction')

since this would be a huge part of the content I think, I need some help writing triggers, and/or unit balancing towers, monster waves, and heros, and the spells the use.

I want to get it going, I've already got terrain down, and calculated how many towers possible, etc.

I'm mainly here to recruit anyone *extremely* good at unit balance-ing this map for me. as most of the credit lies in triggering and unit balance, not just terrain for TD's.

The only part I'm stuck on with WE is the triggers for gate functionality, so I'm looking for some help with triggers as well.

if anyone's interested in completing this project with me. Please let me know.

my xfire is Devour88 user name, just look me up. or reply here. or private message me.

You saw it here first folks,

Mr.TD~

EDIT: I'm merely sharing my map idea/concept here with you. Feel free to try it on your own. Please do not steal my theme entirely though =) <3, secondly, once I can get 2 more people or 1 more to help me with this project, I would like the mods to move this thread to Map Dev forum from the Idea Factory. (I've already started the map, so if it's required, move it anyway. Im not sure.)

Last edited:
Level 8
How do you towers path? Are they on the sides (Like Elemental TD, one of best TDs I have ever played) or on the ground like (Skibi's TD, other best TD ever)

Attack move will work for towers on cliff style, as long as they are invincible, and the gates are not.

Unfortunately, TDs have lost a lot of players, especially to AoSs. An hour long TD doesn't seem like fun to me. 40min at the max.

I wish you luck with your project and will play it if it is completed.

Level 4
1 hour is too long. For a new, probably unpopular TD, I'd argue that 20 minutes is tops. I found that out the hard way with my TD - nobody wants a difficult TD and nobody wants a TD that lasts an hour or more.

What you've described isn't very unique. You need some manner of theme or gimmick to get players interested and keep them entertained.

Level 2
i don't want to be rude but... Waste of time, these td's already exists and has done that for several years now... i'v been playing warcraft 3 since 2003 :):wthumbsup:

Level 3
Unfortuanately the pathing is incredibly important for the cube defense. I think that there's still quite a bit of innovation still possible in it, but like the last guy said so far you havent provided anything except a td that might have customized content; of what we dont know.

Go play Power TD. It's not a huge map, it's got decent custom content and it's innovative. It has 8 players instead of 4, but you can choose FFA, 2 person teams, either top vs botton vs left vs right or corners.
It only has 2 themed races but both are usable, more utility towers and damage towers.

I guess it'd be ok for you to make a decent td if it was decent but it would really have to have something new about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.