• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The element of water... but nothing more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
The element of water... but nothing more than that

Hi all.

I have been thinking about a game where you would have a mage and you must choose 6 out of 24 elements to use abilities from.
Very simple ability trees but they all should have very unique aspects of their spells.

You have 6 different basic elements (Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Darkness and Light) and you can access a secondary element as some kind of second level.
For Fire it is Lava, for Water it is Ice, etc etc etc.
Then you can get a 3rd and a 4th level of them.
I have all elements but I cannot think of more than Water -> Ice for the water tree.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

(Stuff like blood(bending) could be a possibility but blood would be a simple copy of the water one with little status effect changes.
I want everything to be very unique.)

Last edited:
Level 24
Water -> Tides/Tidal/Sea... they are all just regular water with one property (location) defined. Not what I want no.

Frost/Cold/Ice are all included in the 2nd water type element: Ice

Fog?
Yes something like that but Fog is part of Gas (3rd of Wind)

The reason why this one is so hard is because Water defines the absense of something.
Lets take fire for example. Energy comes from the fire/heat. Energy is the 4th of the Fire type elements.
Water/cold/frost is the absense of energy.
Or lets take a look at air. Under water there is no air. Underground there is, up in the sky there is, under water there isn't. The absense of air.
I could do the Void as one element, however it will look like some of the Darkness type elements.

Level 24
there arnt enough elements to do this lmao

You think so?

I even refuse to use a lot of elements like time and space because they are some kind of OP elements.
Next to that, i already have 23 of em.

Water can be connected with oblivion. It's sort of similar to the void in theme, but more fitting. Dark themes in general can fit for water, because if the water is just deep enough it is dark.

Oblivion is indeed a more fitting element than void and I will use either of them (depending on if oblivion is not too similar to Phantasm)
But dark themes could indeed fit with water but then i should remove my darkness type elements.

So one down and one to go.

Level 1
Tidal is not about location but rather about the movement of currents and using the raw force of water just smashing people.
Frost/Cold is about the chilling property of water.
Ice is about water in its solid state.
What about Magnetism? or Reflection?

Level 21
It might work better to have a set of basic elements, and you can choose two which allow for unique combinations. Let's say you choose fire and water... you get vapor as a sub-element which gives you access to a stealthing ability tree along with the basic destructive fire tree and slowing ability tree for water.

Examples for Fire Combinations:
Fire (Damage Over Time) + Water (Slow) = Vapor (Stealth)
Fire + Earth (Defensive) = Magma (Heavy Slow-Moving AoE Projectile Damage)
Fire + Wind (Knockback) = Inferno (Rapid Moderate AoE Damage--Ignite Wind Abilities)
Fire + Darkness (Debuff Curses) = Hellfire (Heavy Single Target Damage and Curses Which Cause Enemies to Take Amplified Damage)
Fire + Light (Curative) = Rebirth/Phoenix (Resurrection and Damage Mitigation)

Level 24
Tidal is not about location but rather about the movement of currents and using the raw force of water just smashing people.
Frost/Cold is about the chilling property of water.
Ice is about water in its solid state.
What about Magnetism? or Reflection?
Tidal is indeed not about the location of the water but about the location of the moon and the sun but it is still water. "using the raw force of water"... WATER

Frost/Cold is about... Ice
I said that I want unique properties and real differences between the elements and I NEED those differences because there will be about... uhm... almost limitless spells for each type.

Magnetism is a part of Electricity which is the 3rd element of fire. It is a good one but it already exists.

Reflection... is not yet in my list but neither do I have the skill to think of 100 spells for it.
Reflection is indeed part of water but just too small. I could add this as a part of Phantasm though. At least I will be using this one.

It might work better to have a set of basic elements, and you can choose two which allow for unique combinations. Let's say you choose fire and water... you get vapor as a sub-element which gives you access to a stealthing ability tree along with the basic destructive fire tree and slowing ability tree for water.

Examples for Fire Combinations:
Fire (Damage Over Time) + Water (Slow) = Vapor (Stealth)
Fire + Earth (Defensive) = Magma (Heavy Slow-Moving AoE Projectile Damage)
Fire + Wind (Knockback) = Inferno (Rapid Moderate AoE Damage--Ignite Wind Abilities)
Fire + Darkness (Debuff Curses) = Hellfire (Heavy Single Target Damage and Curses Which Cause Enemies to Take Amplified Damage)
Fire + Light (Curative) = Rebirth/Phoenix (Resurrection and Damage Mitigation)

Well that is kinda how the spells work :)

If one of you remembers lostmagic, he can imagine what I mean.
Each element has 3 runes which can summon power.
You can tell that each rune is a spell. (3 spells for each element with a total of 72 spells)
Later on, you can combine the runes that you have so you can get "Fire 1st rune" + "Water 2nd rune" = unique spell
So that part is already one part of the concept. The idea is good... good enough to have it already implemented XD

I have thought of water and searched some topics and came with these words which could help:
Pure, Life, Transparent, Motion, Darkness, Spirit, Cold, Intuition, Divination, Healing, Dreams, Unpredictable, Liquid.

Level 24
Kraken, Fish: I don't want to include animals inside the elements.
Rain: Water = Rain?
Coral, Rainbow: too detailed... not enough possibilities.
Storm, Bubble: too vague
Thunder: Already inside lightning (fire3)

Sorry if I am too harsh but yea... I do need a lot of possibilities but no diplicates or things that would also cover other elements.
(Once you see what it is for, you will definately understand this situation.)

Level 22
Some games relate poison with earth, probably because of inedible plants. Also, not all poisons are gaseous, there are also solid and liquid poisons too.

EDIT: Ah, after thinking a bit, I think it wasn't because of the plants but by the poisonous metals like mercury etc... I'm sure they aren't gases.

Level 24
Yea that is logical.
I am used to associate poison to something similar to venom cloud... Don't ask me what the first MMO RPG was that I played.

But for most poisons, which are either gas or liquid. Poison in it's gas form is the same as in it's liquid form. As in gas, the monecules are just further separated from each other... but still close enough to fill the air with it.

Anyway I could rename Gas to Poison but for now it seems fine for me... Poison is a bit too detailed but covers in other aspects more than Gas.

Level 22
But for most poisons, which are either gas or liquid
Actually, most poisons are in powdered form, diluted in water to make it easily consumable and to make it easier to administer.

Anyway I could rename Gas to Poison but for now it seems fine for me... Poison is a bit too detailed but covers in other aspects more than Gas.
Gas alone is too broad a term for poisonous gas, might as well use an adjective to specify what kind of gas that is lol.

Anyway, sorry about the fuss.

Level 24
Actually, most poisons are in powdered form, diluted in water to make it easily consumable and to make it easier to administer.
Yea poison used for suicide... Not poison for combat :p
"Hey look here is the deal: I don't want to fight you so here eat this and just die."

Gas alone is too broad a term for poisonous gas, might as well use an adjective to specify what kind of gas that is lol.
I said it covers in other aspects more than Gas. (It covers stuff that is related to poison but not to gas... poisonous plants etc.)
Gas is broader indeed.

Anyway, sorry about the fuss.
No problem... I don't really care about fuss at all.
I learn that way :D

Level 8
Kraken, Fish: I don't want to include animals inside the elements.
Rain: Water = Rain?
Coral, Rainbow: too detailed... not enough possibilities.
Storm, Bubble: too vague
Thunder: Already inside lightning (fire3)

Sorry if I am too harsh but yea... I do need a lot of possibilities but no diplicates or things that would also cover other elements.
(Once you see what it is for, you will definately understand this situation.)

You can use Kraken for some kind of Water elemental boss or something then.

Level 24
Having an animal as an element is also a bit against nature rules... and I got an element called Life... so...
But having the Kraken as a boss-like-monster is indeed a nice idea... however this will be more of a pvp skill matchup raher than a boss raid... or anything that has bosses at all.

Could be something for later though.

Status
Not open for further replies.