• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Aftermath [Looking for Beta Testers Now!]

Map Creators
Urgan and DemonSlayer98

Current Stage of Map
Late Beta

Gameplay

For many of you who have played The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the setting is very familiar. However, this will not play like an RPG. The maps gameplay is spawn based. If you've ever played a game like Broken Alliance, or Conflict of Sereg D'or, you'll be a little familiar with how to play.

The story [admittedly hastily made] is that... because the Emperor of Tamriel is dead after the events that took place in Oblivion, the realm of Cyrodiil has a lot of political conflict. Everyone has an opinion on who they want to lead their now Emporerless Empire. The arguments get so heated that one by one, the large cities in Cyrodiil get into conflict with one another, and that’s where the player comes in.

During the beginning of the game, two Dialog boxes will pop up allowing players to vote for either a Free For All game, or a game that allows teams of two. There will also be another dialog box asking if players would like to randomly select their cities, or manually select them.

If the option is to chosen to manually select cities, than players will be given a hero, named after Birthsign [i.e. The Apprentice, The Tower, ect], and they will have to manually run to the location of the city they would like to lead.

For gameplay purposes, there are 8 cities. The 8th city is sadly not Kvatch. The story is that the fighting between Anvil and Skingrad has ruined any chance of rebuilding Kvatch anytime soon, so refugees from Kvatch, as well as refugees from other parts of Cyrodiil, have made a new city [cleverly named New Kvatch] out in the East, south of Cheydinhal.

Heroes

There are 3 Heroes currently planned for the game
  • Champion of the Fighters Guild - This Hero can be acquired from choosing to advance your city's Fighters Guild
  • Disciple of the Nine - This Hero is acquired when building a Temple of the Nine in your city. Depending on what god you choose to support, the hero will have a unique Aura
  • Altmer Wizard - This Hero can be acquired from choosing to advance your city's Mages Guild

[Note: You can only support one guild in your city. Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and Thieves Guild are the current supported guild. Thieves Guild does not have a hero planned at this time, but the advanced guild will unlock a lot of unique actions]

Basic Mechanics

The game is simple to play. Once you reach your city, and you "select it", you will be given the castle of that city, ownership of the gates, and the city barracks. From the Barracks and the Castle you can purchase upgrades to your city to automatically place additional buildings, increase unit spawn, upgrade different guilds located in your city... ect ect..

Income

Income in the game is not gained from killing enemy players.

Every city also starts off with two farms. These farms spawn horses. The horses, depending on who owns the farm, go the stables of the city who owns them... explodes [I thought it’d be funny], and gives the player money. You can capture other farms by attacking an enemy farm.

You can also get income from buying a Huntress Spawn. When this unit kills a deer found throughout the wildlife, you will receive a small amount of money for your kill

Finally, recruiting thieves from the Thieves guild can steal money from an enemy city if they successfully sneak into their stables.

Features
  • Advance in Mages, Fighters, or Thieves Guild Specialization for your city, offering unique benefits depending on who you choose to support
  • Choose one of the Nine Divines to give the people who fight for you a special blessing depending on who you choose
  • Depending on what city you choose, will offer you a "special" building, that no other city will have, each doing different things.
  • Partake in special quests that unlock units/buildings to further your city's cause

newmapscreen.jpg

Update: Released Map! http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/oblivion-aftermath-v-30-3-a-161540/

Last edited:
Level 6
looks.. nice. i never played oblivion, but i think i might want to play this.

Level 1
This actually sounds pretty good...are you going to change some of the tiles at some point? Like the dirt in Blackwood for example? Just doesn't seem to fit a place like that ;)

Not that big of a deal. Just wondering :) I wouldn't mind playing this once it comes out though!

Level 10
If you need any modelling help about attachments, such as swords, I might give a hand. Depends on how much I am busy.

I managed to play Oblivion for a day, at a friend of mine's house, and I must say it was nice.
Hopefully, this map will be nice as well. I hope you have put some efforts into the terrain.

Ah, by the way, I can do some GUI abilities, such as a charge.

Level 5
If you need any modelling help about attachments, such as swords, I might give a hand. Depends on how much I am busy.

I managed to play Oblivion for a day, at a friend of mine's house, and I must say it was nice.
Hopefully, this map will be nice as well. I hope you have put some efforts into the terrain.

Ah, by the way, I can do some GUI abilities, such as a charge.

Thanks for the offer! A lot of hard work has been put into this map. It just surprised me that over so many years, there hasn't really been a good map that has an Elder Scrolls theme to it. I plan to change that :wink:

Level 5
Damn this sounds cool if you get it all right.
Is it going to be any Heroes? If yes then you can check the classes that already exists in Oblivion.

There are 3 Heroes currently planned for the game

Captain of the Guard - This Hero can be acquired from choosing to advance your city's Fighters Guild

Disciple of the Nine - This Hero is acquired when building a Temple of the Nine in your city. Depending on what god you choose to support, the hero will have a unique Aura

Wizard - This Hero can be acquired from choosing to advance your city's Mages Guild

[Note: You can only support one guild in your city. Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and Thieves Guild are the current supported guild. Thieves Guild does not have a hero planned at this time, but the advanced guild will unlock a lot of unique action]

Updated the first post with this information

Level 5
Well, our two games are very different in terms of gameplay, so I'm not sure how we can work together. Have you completed terrain for your map? If you want, I wouldn't mind letting you have the terrain used in this map, of course, without triggers and unit data... as long as I have credit..

Level 2
I have a question, so each city is controlled by a player, and is there going to be any playable factions outside of these main cities, like the Dark brotherhood?

Level 5
To answer your question Word Bearer, Every city will have the option all the guilds in their city. However, they can only choose one guild to go further into the tech trees. Each guild will have their pros and cons.

Fighters Guild
Mages guild
Thieves Guild
Dark Brotherhood.

Just an update - the map is still being worked on after a small break.

Last edited:
Level 5
If you're interested in testing my map, I'm Urgan on U.S. East. Feel free to send me a PM here if you're interested, too. Final features are just starting to be thrown together, and now its time for some polishing, balancing, and maybe redoing some spells to make them more interesting.

Level 12
well I am an oblivion player too. scenario is quite original, I like it. I will test it when it's done/beta came : )

And you should make thieves guild and dark brotherhood as handicap guilds, if an enemy hero somehow increases crime rate of the city, they take action against your city themselves etc.

Level 5
well I am an oblivion player too. scenario is quite original, I like it. I will test it when it's done/beta came : )

And you should make thieves guild and dark brotherhood as handicap guilds, if an enemy hero somehow increases crime rate of the city, they take action against your city themselves etc.

Thanks, I can't wait to release it publicly. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean about handicap guilds. :confused:

Level 12
Thanks, I can't wait to release it publicly. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean about handicap guilds. :confused:

thieves guild and dark brotherhood are normally criminal guilds and they are not getting support from officials, you know. Thieves guild generally do the things that city watchers do not approve, and dark brotherhood just harm community by murdering. I mean, you should make secret/unlockable thieves and dark brotherhood guilds for all cities and if one of the enemy heroes do activate them, they should harm their own cities..

Level 5
thieves guild and dark brotherhood are normally criminal guilds and they are not getting support from officials, you know. Thieves guild generally do the things that city watchers do not approve, and dark brotherhood just harm community by murdering. I mean, you should make secret/unlockable thieves and dark brotherhood guilds for all cities and if one of the enemy heroes do activate them, they should harm their own cities..

Well, why would the Thieves guild and Dark brotherhood want to harm their own cities? That would be like setting fire to your own house, it wouldn't make any sense.

Level 12
They wouldn't even care about a city, they are criminals, like neutrals, couldn't you understand? I mean they don't care if it's their home or not, if they are feeding from the city.

Level 5
They wouldn't even care about a city, they are criminals, like neutrals, couldn't you understand? I mean they don't care if it's their home or not, if they are feeding from the city.

I'm sure they'd care about their city. Think about the thieves guild in the Imperial City, who protected the Waterfront district to some extent, and look out for the poor in all cities, I think they care about their city.

As for the dark brotherhood, they aren't necessarily evil, and want to do harm to people, they're just doing their job. And on the other hand, you know how much of a bother it would be to move a sanctuary because their city got sacked and pillaged?

I can see where you're coming from, and how the officials of the city look down on these 2 factions, but I don't think the factions would destroy their homes. :wink:

Level 12
Eh, if you're thinking like that then its fine. Your idea, your map.
Mine was just an another idea too. But maybe it would give it some additional color, it would chequer it.

and about dark brotherhood, they've killed an important person for the safety of imperial city. they've killed adamus phillida, so they should harm it when they harm it.

Level 5
Eh, if you're thinking like that then its fine. Your idea, your map.
Mine was just an another idea too. But maybe it would give it some additional color, it would chequer it.

and about dark brotherhood, they've killed an important person for the safety of imperial city. they've killed adamus phillida, so they should harm it when they harm it.

Yeah, thanks for your suggestion. Tamriel is a very broad and complex world, so there are many ways a person can go about implementing things. I mean to say, no one way would be the "right" way of doing it. :thumbs_up:

Level 3
If i love this map a mere fraction as much as i adore the TES Series (and yes i include fallout 3 in TeS, apsurd as that may be) i'll help you make it to the best of my abilities.

Level 2
I for one am very enthusiastic about this project, however i fail to see why the map isn't 480x480? Seems a bit pointless to me to sort of bend the edge off of the concept by making it less than it should be. I've had the idea to make an elder scrolls conversion for a long time too, and i've been molding some blueprints over the years. Good luck and god speed, anyways.

EDIT: I'd like to add that i AM assuming that this map is not 480x480. All errors reserved.

Last edited:
Level 6
I think the map looks small. Is the size epic? If not, then sure should be.
Also, the part where you have boundaries, and TES tinted on, i recommend using that space for caves/dungeons, since they play a big part in the world of Cyrodiil.

Also, i could help you out creating better castles.

Level 2
Also, the part where you have boundaries, and TES tinted on, i recommend using that space for caves/dungeons, since they play a big part in the world of Cyrodiil.

Why epic (256x256) when it can be 480x480?

I would recommend either keeping the current already made terrain and then extending the map to 480, thereby generating space for interiors and dungeons along the new sides of the map - or - more or less remaking the terrain in a 480x480 map with Elsweyr/Valenwood for dungeon/interior space.

Also, I wouldn't make the city walls the way they're made in that (early WIP) screenshot. It doesn't look too good to me. Ah well, just my two cents.

Level 5

The map size is indeed epic. However, I did not use any outside modding programs to make the map any bigger.. and I'm afraid its too late in the process to go back and do so now. As for the caves/dungeon idea. I'm not sure, we'll have to wait and see if that area will be used. Right now, most of the gameplay is focused on army vs army, and there isn't exactly time to mosey about in a dungeon.

As for how the cities look, I agree, they're not great looking, but they're alright for the space that I can work with. I sort of had the "Civilization" mind set, where the cities may be a bit generic in look, and might not scale correctly, they're just there to represent the city.

Also, to answer a previous question, this is not an RPG..

Maybe a RTRPS [Real time roleplaying strategy ;)]

Level 2
I recommend you just put teleporters for the caves and dungeons and shove the actual cave/dungeon a place where you wont use...like the sea
Apparently there won't be much time to "mosey about" in a dungeon.

If this map is a strategy game, that's great, but keep in mind that any hint towards an RPG element in the map (be it heroes/commanders for your army being able to "mosey about" in dungeons while the army rests or whatever) will make any elder scrolls fan go crazy for this map.

And if you're making a strategy game, I'd recommend scrapping that terrain, getting the Jass NewGenPack, creating a fresh 480x480 map and in there mapping all of Tamriel instead of just Cyrodiil and some border provinces. Warring between the provinces has not only occured many times (and still occurs as of the third era) in Tamriel. Internal warring in Cyrodiil seems fairly limited and mayhap not completely with a basis in the Lore.

And if you don't want to scrap your current terrain - it is NOT too late to make your map 480x480 - just open it in UMSWE (from the Jass NewGenPack) and extend the map/camera views like you normally would on a smaller-than-epic map. Easy as a slice of pie, and adds so much potential.

Also, if it's somewhat plain strategy, why not make the cities into large buildings instead? Saves you tons of space, looks a lot better and gives you an even better opportunity to create some awesome triggered features for the game.

Much more fun to have one player per province or something like that (including Summerset Isles!) instead of everyone being imperials running around shock trooping each other in the general Lake Rumare area. "Woo, you're all imperials with different colors on your arm bands, hurr durr!".

You could even include historical figures and other legendary persons/creatures/gods/artifacts/locations from the Elder Scrolls lore - all of the information you'd ever need is avaliable at UESPWiki (---> here's a good starting place).

I used the vanilla editor like a sap for so long - I just moved to the NewGenPack a couple of weeks ago (keeping in mind I map very sporadically). I highly recommend getting the NewGenPack if you're going to try and launch a serious map project, never mind your first serious map project (if it is your first, I don't know).

Still though, no matter what you do with this project, I wish you sincere luck (as an Elder Scrolls adoring fan)!

Last edited:
Level 5
I recommend you just put teleporters for the caves and dungeons and shove the actual cave/dungeon a place where you wont use...like the sea

Well obviously thats what I would do if there were any plans to add caves and dungeons, however, I feel like adding dungeons and caves would feel a bit off topic with the "story" I'm trying to push. It's not an RPG, and I'm not sure I'd like to balance a cave to deal with decent sized army.. I mean, I could do it, but it just feels like.. I'd really be losing the games focus.

However, if I can think of a way to add caves without them drawing massive armies and attention to them, I will. :grin:

Level 2
By the way, I just noticed something odd.

In the teaser screen you put in the OP, there is one extra city. Southeast of Cheydinhal we find some strange city where the upper Niben Basin should be located. Perhaps this is space for a player-owned city, or in some other way elaborate.

However, I don't recommend inventing too much "Lore". It hurts the atmosphere of the map.

Level 6
KatOne, i hope that one day we'll see a map about the whole Tamriel..
As a terrainer, I can already imagine how much fun it would be making Summerset Isles for example.

Level 5
Apparently there won't be much time to "mosey about" in a dungeon.

If this map is a strategy game, that's great, but keep in mind that any hint towards an RPG element in the map (be it heroes/commanders for your army being able to "mosey about" in dungeons while the army rests or whatever) will make any elder scrolls fan go crazy for this map.

And if you're making a strategy game, I'd recommend scrapping that terrain, getting the Jass NewGenPack, creating a fresh 480x480 map and in there mapping all of Tamriel instead of just Cyrodiil and some border provinces. Warring between the provinces has not only occured many times (and still occurs as of the third era) in Tamriel. Internal warring in Cyrodiil seems fairly limited and mayhap not completely with a basis in the Lore.

And if you don't want to scrap your current terrain - it is NOT too late to make your map 480x480 - just open it in UMSWE (from the Jass NewGenPack) and extend the map/camera views like you normally would on a smaller-than-epic map. Easy as a slice of pie, and adds so much potential.

Also, if it's somewhat plain strategy, why not make the cities into large buildings instead? Saves you tons of space, looks a lot better and gives you an even better opportunity to create some awesome triggered features for the game.

Much more fun to have one player per province or something like that (including Summerset Isles!) instead of everyone being imperials running around shock trooping each other in the general Lake Rumare area. "Woo, you're all imperials with different colors on your arm bands, hurr durr!".

You could even include historical figures and other legendary persons/creatures/gods/artifacts/locations from the Elder Scrolls lore - all of the information you'd ever need is avaliable at UESPWiki (---> here's a good starting place).

I used the vanilla editor like a sap for so long - I just moved to the NewGenPack a couple of weeks ago (keeping in mind I map very sporadically). I highly recommend getting the NewGenPack if you're going to try and launch a serious map project, never mind your first serious map project (if it is your first, I don't know).

Still though, no matter what you do with this project, I wish you sincere luck (as an Elder Scrolls adoring fan)!

I didn't notice you had such a well thought out post. I appreciate all of your feedback, I really and truly do. I've been following UESP wiki whenever I get the chance. It really is a great site, especially when making a map like this. And while I enjoy all of your ideas, and would love to have them all implemented, it's something that I'd have to put on hold due to time restraints and with also how far along the map is, I'd really be throwing away hours and hours of work that was put into the current maps structure / terrain into something new, which I hope is understandable.

Level 2
KatOne, i hope that one day we'll see a map about the whole Tamriel..
As a terrainer, I can already imagine how much fun it would be making Summerset Isles for example.
Yeah, I see your vision my friend.

Hey, are you a good terrainer? Or decent enough? Because I might have some blueprints that we both would find stimulating to put into practice (notice my signature about undisclosed projects).

Also, are you well educated on Tamriel and Cyrodiil (atleast as good as one can expect someone to be) - and/or are you willing to "study up" on the geography etc of Tamriel?

If any of this appeals to you, maybe we could work together. We should get in touch on MSN or Steam or something to talk things through. Read my introduction (link in sig) to learn more about me, if you want.

Also Urgan, I find it confusing and frustrating that you contiuously treat my posts as thin air. Maybe dignifying them with acknowledging their existance would be a socially advisable move? :aa:

Also, I'm totally interested in beta testing. Heading over to that thread now.

Level 6
I think I'm a rather good terrainer, considering that i'm a terraining leader of a mapping clan. But the thing is, I've got like three projects on line at the time, (Glory of War, Sanity's Edge, One project i cannot speak of) I'll have to terrain those at the moment.

What comes to Tamriel, I'm a great fan of Morrowind, I haven't played Oblivion as much, though i have friends that are basically forcing me to play it more, haha. Of course nearly everything can be found in the internet.

But anyway, feel free to add me on MSN: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.