• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Fortress Challenge - Poll

Who should be the winner?

• Bob27

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Herio-san

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • rulerofiron99

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Eleandor

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • d4f.Chaos

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Dalaran_Guard

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Deckboy

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • 13anshi

Votes: 18 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I don't know why.... but the gnoll fortress....
It gets my vote. Just... well.... It's freakin awesome AND original....
The fortress of pain was almost the best... but the watchtowers... and the gold mine carts?
+ Gnoll

Level 8
All this close voting really whos how skillfull the entrants are, we need more terraining contests like this (Mayhaps with set types of custom models for a bit more freedom)

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Deckboy's was just to cool to not vote for.

But don't get me wrong, these entries came out surprisingly better than I had expected. You all deserve a pat on the back.

Level 4
Ive never seen anything like these maps before. The detail on everything was simply awsome I couldnt help but chuckle everytime I looked at each new fortress such imagination and detail was put into each one. The Gnoll Fortress caught my eye because it really did seem like something the Gnolls would construct but man the Hive Fortress really did have that Fortress feel to it.

The grand scale of it was amazing I noticed the trees were really small compared too the whole Fortress and that was a great detail in itself. So Deckboy gets my vote but it was a tough one.

Too all the challengers, your skills are amazing keep up the great work guys!

Level 10
i never knew useless things mattered

Useless?!?!?

How on earth is submitting the map useless! It was first of all required, and even if it wasn't, submitting screens ONLY would be an easy way for cheating! (i.e. photoshop, and/or didn't really terrain everything, just used a good camera angle to make it look like it)

I'm not saying you did that - just saying that the rule was there for a reason.

-Deck

Level 10
@oOWii003Xx:I believe I just stated why it's NOT a useless rule. . .if you're angry just because you weren't in the contest there's nothing I can do about that. . .it was required to enter the map and you failed to do so. You also didn't post any up-to-date screenies of your castle anyways - just made mention of the fact that you HAD updated it.

Oh another note:
Ooh d4f.chaos could take it from Banshi. . .o_O O_O o_O

-Deck

Level 32
d4f.Chaos' Fortress of Pain

Each of the fortresses entered in the challenge had their own unique strengths and weaknesses:

Gnoll Fortress v2.w3x
(+) Good use of Centaur/Gnoll/Orc elements.
(-) A bit too jumbled together, Fog of War required iseedeadpeople.

Aeilor Valley.w3x
(+) Good wooden staircases; secluded valley feel.
(-) Incomplete, and the inflowing rivers were cut off.

tauren.w3x
(+) Good doodad placement and combination.
(-) Incomplete, and the plateaus were too exaggerated.

HiveCastle.w3x
(+) Worldtree concept, scale of units vs. buildings.
(-) Not a lot of activity, needed more eye candy.

Port Royal sea fort by Banshi.w3x
(+) Outstanding stone stairways; Mobile Siege Engine castle.
(-) Green rocks color clashed with brown revetments.

Fortress of Pain.w3x
(+) Mining operation, cells, altars, and lava falls.
(-) Not much.

HumanFortress.w3x
(+) Incredibly well assembled and detailed stone walls.
(-) Could have contained more activity.

Serenity.w3x
(+) Tree platforms, rolling terrain.
(-) A little barren in spots.

I narrowed things down to those last four and am almost equally impressed by each of them.

I have decided to cast my ballot for:
d4f.Chaos' Fortress of Pain

I really liked all the different areas of activity in this fortress, especially the mining operation.
The other fortresses all seemed like home, friendly and welcoming; Fortress of Pain is a map to invade and conquer!

Good mapping everyone. Bravo!

Level 8
I really liked all the different areas of activity in this fortress, especially the mining operation.
The other fortresses all seemed like home, friendly and welcoming; Fortress of Pain is a map to invade and conquer!

Thanks, you are speaking out of my soul ... and nice Voting of you, with pros and cons ...

(-) Not much.

Not much time ... but I think I was not the only one ...

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 8
Agreed, however i mentioned specific doodads to include such things as the table no legs model or a single custom tree model. They arent required for the terrain, however they do make it look better and are a lot easier to mess with than blizzard doodads

Level 36
All of these are amazing. I'm a horrible terrainer, and everything seems amazing to me, but these stand above all the rest (with the exception of some HernanG work, etc). Rulerofirons gnoll fortress is stunning, but I think my favourite is still the Fortress of Pain. That thing is mind blowing. You are a god d4f.chaos :p

Status
Not open for further replies.