• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #13 - Theme and general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Number 13 to come.....
This time the theme will be choosen by the Terrain Jury out of the four most popular ideas. Because many (experienced) terrainers were not happy with the last themes and I want the next contest to become a huge success ;)

So keep your ideas coming!

Level 19
How about some theme about "Close-Call" stuff? Like a bullet almost hitting the head, a blade almost stabbing the chest or somebody almost finishing a destruction incantation?

Level 35
That would most sertainly have to include units, and most people can't make good looking terrains using units, as per a personal opinion. That, and doing such a terrain would be extremely challenging to pull of for even the most advanced of terrainers, mind you, pulling it of and it still looking good, that is.

Level 48
I think he's talking about a world wonder(e.g. the Pyramids, the Statue of Liberty) except fictional(like a giant statue of some orc Warlord or something like that).
My favorite theme is the Racial Settlement theme that was suggested by Mr.Goblin(I think?) a few contest threads back.
Also, wasn't FrIkY a part of the Terrain Jury as well? ^^

Last edited:
Level 11
What fictional world wonders? Like wonders which existed before and is gone now or places in mythologies?

I think he was thinking more about some Final Fantasy world or something. :p

I guess it's up to you. Just two examples:

hanging garden of babylon

hanging-gardens-of-babylon-one-of-the-seven-ancient-world-wonders.gif

lighthouse of alexandria

the-lighthouse-of-alexandria-on-the-island-of-pharos-at-the-port-of-alexandria.jpg

Ancient, futuristic.. would allow a wide range of possibilities.

Level 16
Well I have a few ideas:
  • caverns
  • post-apocalyptic
  • urban ruins
  • urban playground(a perfect place for parkour, for example)
  • mages' house
  • after dark (a tavern after dark, for example)
  • ancient ruins
  • Freeload (just like at spells contest #20, make a copy of a terrain from a game)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm also in favor of De.Facto's concept. Constructing a fictional world-wonder is a theme wide open for creative interpreatations of architectural design, a barrel full of fun for any terrainer, not to mention quite a cute challenge in terms of execution.

So, proclaiming it from the rooftops, this is my preliminary vote for Fictional World-Wonders.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
You could declare everything to a fictional world wonder. Where is the restriction?
I suppose the restrictions would be rather lax. Criterias could include a unique aesthetic style sided by fictional engineering and imaginary technology. And naturally, the wonder would have to be grand, majestic and wondrous to behold. A massive dump with gears attached to it wouldn't do.

So yeah, clearly the restrictions would be fairly subjective and heavily dependant on the judges' interpretations of the concept.

In all honesty though, I think we all share similar conceptions on what the theme would imply.

Level 35
You could declare everything to a fictional world wonder. Where is the restriction?

Honeslty, I've never really been one for restrictions. Strict restrictions makes users vote for what terrains follow set "theme" the most, rather than voting by what terrain they actually "like" the most or that they find best execution.

Anyways, there are some restrictions as mentioned by fladder, I reckon it should be architectural world wonders, and not natural. Hence the terrain WILL have to include a very grand senter of focus, some kind of large, or inventive construction that is awe-inspiring. And quite honestly, I see no need for more restriction than that.

A

A

Level 4
Tis is mai aidia:
•Romantic terrain(ai rilly want to see dis one)
•Futuristic City terrain
•Drawing terrain (it was,laik,ya uzing sam props and unitz tu maiking a pickcur)
Z0rRy 1f M4i wurdz look wird,I waz so dizzy cause I drinkz too many wain w my hussband

Status
Not open for further replies.